Marineland animals suffering, former staffers say

P. 8: More news, lawsuits, OSPCA and government orders
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Marineland animals suffering, former staffers say

Postby sspaz1000 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:19 pm

I guess I must have been the only one to notice things on the TPR trip. Most of the deer in "deerschwitz" had terrible fight marks and/or holes in their ears not from lets say putting a tracking tag in but antler sized holes, and quite a few of the deer had other gaping wounds and blood and stuff.

Also the bears looked a bit scraggly and at this point in the season, shouldn't be shedding the way the one bear was.

I heard the rumours about Marineland being horrible to animals, and my animal loving instincts told me I was going to hate what I saw and I was right.

Even the worker at Dragon Mountain's entrance who started talking to me for like 10 minutes wanted the owner of the park to let's just say, move on so someone else can come in and make the park into what had been promised, with more bathrooms, better food choices, better practices for animals, etc.

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:48 pm

^The old man with missing teeth? He was pretty friendly, you could tell he'd been there a while. I too noticed the deer markings and those who looked like they were starving but was refraining from saying anything, but since you did. Ditto.

Postby sspaz1000 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:52 pm

^I think so he was the guy at the entrance to dragon mountain. He's also the guy that's been lobbying for bathrooms near Dragon Mountain for quite a few years now.

I'm pretty sure if I hadn't been so exhausted from Leviathan Bash, I wasn't as upset as I would have been normally. Even though I did want to see if what I had been seeing from things on the internet were true, and from what I can tell they are, I have no desire to give that place money ever again.

Postby cal1br3tto » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:09 pm

Absolutely sickening. I really feel for those poor animals.

Almost makes me want to boycott the place, but for one thing, I'm not really the type to do that, and for another, I do visit various animal attractions here and there and in many cases I don't have concrete proof they're any better. It can be way too easy to keep stuff hidden.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Postby sspaz1000 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:18 pm

I have no problems boycotting places I have issues with. But it kind of boggles my mind that a place that charges so much for pretty much nothing can't use that money to actually take care of the animals and the park itself.

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:30 pm

$50 to get in is really too expensive. Then all drinks are like 16oz cups and cost 2.75, *if* you can find a place that's open. I think it was Shawn and I that heard two older ladies leaving the park and saying "There is nothing to do here" in disgust. In other words, maybe attendance is lacking due to lack of stuff to do which in turn means cheaping the care.

I honestly don't know what to think here. Disgruntled employees could factor in, but like was said earlier, these people do this because they love it, not because of the pay. That aquarium did have a nasty smell but many zoos do. In this case however, it shouldn't have therefore I am inclined to believe that the preponderance of the story is factual.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:38 pm

Hercules wrote:
Rollercoaster Rider wrote:Where's PETA in this?

They have been involved with this place for a long time. It's sad that it takes interviews with former staffers to get this to be news. When PETA has said anything in the past people have just rolled their eyes.

PETA has mostly themselves to blame for that. All those years of publicity-grabbing stunts have made most of the public immune to their message.

But I agree that something needs to be done about Marineland. The poor animals' situation there sounds deplorable.

Postby beatle11 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:10 pm

Response from Marineland (http://www.marineland.ca/general/general_information/#)

From the start, my vision for Marineland® was to create an interactive facility where people would be able to get as close to animals as possible. I strongly believe that the only way for people to really develop an understanding and deep appreciation for animals is for them to be able to get close to these wonderful creatures. Many years of experience and observation allowed me to see that, in general, people are fascinated by animals and have a great desire to learn about them.

The overwhelmingly positive response we received from guests when we introduced Friendship Cove™ in 1998 confirmed my beliefs and observations. Guests tell us that being able to get so close to a killer whale is just a dream come true. Encouraged by this feedback, we decided to introduce, Arctic Cove™;, an interactive whale habitat that is designed to allow guests the opportunity to touch, feed and learn to better appreciate another unique and special marine mammal - the beluga whale. Parents have told us that the contact with the marine mammals and trainers have inspired their children to declare their desire to pursue a career in marine mammal studies.

I have dedicated my life to developing one of the world's best facilities for animal and marine mammal care, where guests can learn about animals through an exciting mix of entertainment and education. Marineland staff members and I consider each Marineland animal resident a member of the family. I will spare no expense when it comes to the health and well being of the animals in my care.

I invite you to visit Marineland where you will meet and learn about some of the most magnificent creatures with whom we share this planet.

Sincerely,

John Holer
President and Owner
Marineland of Canada Inc.

Postby sspaz1000 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:04 pm

A response that doesn't even begin to acknowledge the issues. Why am I not surprised.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby kidcoaster 2 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:06 am

I have been hearing these stories for years but to finally hear the facts from the trainers is a bit reliving that its finally out there.
Last edited by kidcoaster 2 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:39 pm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!