Photo TR: East Coast Bash 2012 Kings Dominion

A fish-eye, a long photo TR, and an event I'll never forget.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Photo TR: East Coast Bash 2012 Kings Dominion

Postby Midgetman82 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:48 pm

Saturday August 4th, I attended my first TPR event and second roller coaster enthusiast event. East Coast Bash at Kings Dominion. It was also my first time going to Kings Dominion, which means new credits I racked up!

I don't know what else to say here other than I had an amazing time at the event, and would absolutely love to attend another hosted by TPR. Anyone who went to the event may remember seeing a sweaty black kid with a DSLR and ClubTPR shirt. Yep, that was me.

Just a word of warning before I go into pictures, I may have used my fisheye lens a little too much during this event. I thought I should have brought and used it since other people would and already have taken thousands of other standard photos of the same things. So why not try something different from what everyone else would be doing... I'm saying this because I understand that not everyone is a fan of wide-angle photos. That's okay, because I have standard and zoomed photos mixed in as well.

Either way, I hope you can enjoy what I have.

IMG_3396.JPG
I have arrived!
IMG_3402.JPG
The morning consisted of getting checked-in by Robb himself, getting our vouchers, and getting in the park.
IMG_3414.jpg
Soon, we were led straight to the back to ride one of the most badass coasters on this planet.
IMG_3427.JPG
Dale Earnhardt: THE RIDE!
IMG_3432.JPG
Did I mention this was my first time on an Intamin giga... besides a bad experience I had on Superman:ROS at Six Flags America involving a stapled lap bar.
IMG_3438.JPG
First coaster of the day. First ride on I305. Fell in love with it after greying out on the first turn!
IMG_3446.JPG
Next ride was Volcano. First Intamin inverted coaster (let alone one that launches).
IMG_3450.JPG
The ride is great! I really wish there were more inverted launched coasters out there in the world other than the shuttle versions of these. The 3 rolls were sweet!
IMG_3456.JPG
I wasn't a big fan of it crushing my privates though...
IMG_3471.JPG
Benefit of ERT! :D This was when I was in line for the second ride.
IMG_3477.jpg
Then I came back for more I305, because the first ride wasn't enough!
IMG_3481.JPG
Raise your hands if this ride has airtime.
IMG_3485.JPG
IMG_3490.JPG
Seriously, the drop was epic, the heavy turns were intense, the transitions were insane, and the airtime was beautiful! It's an all around beautiful roller coaster that I wouldn't mind re-riding until I passed out of exhaustion!
... (Okay, maybe not really.)
IMG_3505.jpg
IMG_3507.JPG
IMG_3519.JPG
Robb's in the back seat, right side in this photo.
IMG_3529.JPG
I was trying to get used to faster shutter speeds on my camera. I had to switch to my fastest speed because this coaster 'flew' through the course.
IMG_3538.JPG
IMG_3540.JPG
0.5 seconds later.
IMG_3543.JPG
I wish I could identify the people that are in my photos.
IMG_3551.JPG
Soon the regular folks came in. Since I got my 4 laps on I305, it was time to move on to another coaster.
IMG_3558.JPG
It was time for another one of my favorites. (This photo came out MUCH better than I had expected it to!)
IMG_3567.JPG
16 years. Sixteen Years Old!!! As long as this thing has been around, it wows me every time!
IMG_3576.JPG
After Flight of Fear, I rode I305 again for the heck of it, and then headed towards Drop Tower. I got my first credit on Italian Jo- err, I mean, Backlot Stunt Coaster.
IMG_3577.JPG
It's a very cute coaster. Not as amazing as I expected it to be, but I kinda liked it.
IMG_3586.jpg
These are, hands down, my favorite amusement park flat rides ever.
IMG_3591.JPG
Have I bored you with too many photos yet? Hope not. Soon the Boo Blasters challenge commenced.
IMG_3608.JPG
A woman tallied our scored so we could win prizes when we met for lunch. I scored 1440.
IMG_3624.JPG
I soon rode a few flats like Berserker and The Crypt. The Crypt was my first "true" top spin, and boy was it crazy! That finale had my head spinning!
IMG_3632.jpg
A few skips later, and TPR lunch started.
IMG_3633.JPG
Virtually anything I've ever read about TPR quests were true. They were fun to watch and participate!
IMG_3642.JPG
There was alcohol (I didn't drink any, I'm 18!), there was running, and there was a moment when Robb asked contestants to be the first to bring up Club TPR shirts. The guy who borrowed the one I was wearing was second to reach him.
IMG_3649.JPG
There was also tv-less karaoke. They sung Bohemian Rhapsody, and some were surprisingly good at it!
IMG_3658.JPG
IMG_3663.JPG
I'd like to thank this man right here. I apologize that I can't remember his name, but he helped make this event great!
IMG_3671.jpg
I braved Crypt again due to its really short lines after lunch ended. Then I headed over to I305 to be ready for the backstage tour.
IMG_3675.JPG
Gotta go fast.
IMG_3685.JPG
When I arrived, everybody was hanging out in the gift shop because of the heat.
IMG_3705.JPG
Soon, though, the tour began.
IMG_3714.JPG
Again, in an attempt to be different, I used "the eye" lens.
IMG_3721.JPG
Everyone got up close and personal with the rotating drum.
IMG_3731.JPG
IMG_3737.JPG
IMG_3744.JPG
IMG_3749.JPG
IMG_3753.JPG
Soon Robb got us all to gather for the group photo, which was posted to the TPR Facebook page. I laughed when I saw my face blocked out by a hand!
IMG_3770.JPG
When everyone was ready to take more photos of the coaster, the next train stopped on the lift. Low and behold, two guys everyone knew was in the backseat at the time!
IMG_3772.JPG
Robb told everyone to boo at them, so they did.
IMG_3777.JPG
How's it going!
IMG_3785 - Version 2.JPG
Soon the train got going though. They cleared the line for I305, and there was a very short line in front of the entrance, so I hopped in. It only took them half an hour for them to fix it and let people back on. What changed was that the operators warned people to keep their shoes on while on the ride.
IMG_3823.JPG
Eventually, I rode my first Windseeker. It was the most gentle ride I rode in the park, and was needed due to the amount of walking and intense coaster riding I've been doing all day. This ride's line also went really quick. It looked like a long wait, but I was on within two ride cycles.
IMG_3839.JPG
Hurler wasn't as bad of a ride as people said it would be. Maybe I got a good seat on it? I dunno, but I wouldn't mind re-riding it in the same seat. (Third car, front row.) Also, the line for this ride was empty.
IMG_3861.JPG
Soon I went up the Eiffel Tower since it didn't have a wait.
IMG_3862.JPG
Obligatory?
IMG_3866.JPG
Tiny people on gigantic ride!
IMG_3886.JPG
Then the line for Dominator shortened, so I jumped at the chance to get in line. I got in line for the front seat, and loved it!
IMG_3905.jpg
IMG_3944.jpg
I met with my dad and my brother later, who spent their time in the hotel and came in at some random time during the day. We first rode Rebel Yell together.
IMG_3949.JPG
Here's me, a sweaty dork who's almost too shy to be in front of his own camera, waiting in line for Grizzly. Might I mention that we passed the path that led to Grizzly 4 times before we realized we had to go through the Dinosaurs Alive gift shop to get on it. >=-(
IMG_3962.jpg
Since my brother has never heard of Flight of Fear and was interested to ride it, that's what we did.
IMG_4011.jpg
We ate pizza later and watched the nighttime fireworks light up behind Anaconda (a coaster I should have gone on). Then they told me their goodbyes and left me to finish the event with Nighttime ERT.
IMG_4026.JPG
I was on the first lights-on train of the Flight of Fear lights-on ERT. it was cool being able to see, and it seemed to go even faster through the course.
IMG_4041.JPG
Then came my last ride on I305.
IMG_4051.JPG
It was actually pitch black out there, which made it really creepy.
IMG_4059.JPG
I ended up on the last train on Intimidator, and there was only one other person on it with me!
IMG_4062.JPG
I quick walked over to Dominator where Robb was getting everybody hyped for their last rides of the night. I finally got 3 more laps on it!
IMG_4069.JPG
And thus ends my super long trip treport.

I'd like to send a huge thank you to Robb, Elissa, everyone who attended the event, and the staff & management of Kings Dominion for making this day awesome! I had a great time, and would love to attend another TPR hosted event sometime in the future!

Edit: Forgot the coaster count!
Intimidator 305: 7
Volcano: 2
Flight of Fear: 3
Backlot Stunt Coaster: 1
Hurler: 1
Dominator: 4
Shockwave: 1 (By the way, I actually enjoyed this coaster. It's not the smoothest, most comfortable coaster, but it's not that bad!)
Rebel Yell: 1
Grizzly: 1
Last edited by Midgetman82 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:58 pm.
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Photo TR: East Coast Bash 2012 Kings Dominion

Postby The49er » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:10 pm

It was not overly descriptive, relax. You make me jelly :angry:
Last Park: CP / Last Credit: Blue Streak lol / Credit Count: 70
Top 5 Wood: SCBB Giant Dipper, Gold Striker, GhostRider pre-refurb, Blue Streak, CGA Grizzly
Top 5 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, X2, Millennium Force, Tatsu

Next Park: ?
Next Credit: ?

Postby Midgetman82 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:12 pm

^What?
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:21 pm

Nice report with some really cool photos...well done!

Wished I could have gone, but this job thing keeps that from happening a lot...plus I was still trying to recover from Leviathan Bash! ;)

It's A Small World Fanboy

Postby Hang And Bang » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:41 pm

Fantastic TR! Lots of great pics - I especially like the shot of FoF's station. Glad you had fun! :)

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby The49er » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:44 pm

Midgetman82 wrote:^What?

Jelly as in jealous. Never been east of Wichita, and I want to eventually change that.
Last Park: CP / Last Credit: Blue Streak lol / Credit Count: 70
Top 5 Wood: SCBB Giant Dipper, Gold Striker, GhostRider pre-refurb, Blue Streak, CGA Grizzly
Top 5 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, X2, Millennium Force, Tatsu

Next Park: ?
Next Credit: ?

Former captain of the Arrow bus.

Postby Erik Johnson » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:51 pm

Fantastic photos! It really was a great event!

Postby Midgetman82 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:55 pm

The49er wrote:
Midgetman82 wrote:^What?

Jelly as in jealous. Never been east of Wichita, and I want to eventually change that.

I knew what Jelly meant. But when did I ever mention that I was being overly descriptive?

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby DougMJr » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:41 pm

Awesome photos! I was standing right next to you in the photo you used "the eye" lens on during I305 backstage. I'm also the right most Karaoke singer.

This was my first TPR event and I'm totally hooked now. Hopefully I'll be financially ready for a tour next year. Honestly the best time I have ever had at a park.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:17 pm

Hang And Bang wrote:Fantastic TR! Lots of great pics - I especially like the shot of FoF's station. Glad you had fun! :)

Funny how a few years back I took a flash photo with my digital camera in the FOF station & got yelled at by one of the ops.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!