Photo TR: Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park

A hidden little gem in Colorado!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Photo TR: Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park

Postby milst1 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:53 pm

A couple of weeks ago, a colleague slipped a newspaper article under my office door. It was about a roller coaster set on a mountain top 2 km high. I looked at the photo and wondered where the heck was this from? Was this about Ghost Town in the Sky? No, it was about a completely different park, Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park, in Colorado, where they'd just opened a new coaster on top of a mountain. By chance, Cheryl and I were flying to Denver for a family affair, so we added it to the itinerary.
1.jpg
Here's the original article shared by a colleague. It says (in Dutch, I work in the Netherlands): "Roller coaster 2 kilometers up" and "It's crazy to see a canyon coming at you". We had to see this for ourselves.
2.jpg
We drive about 3 hours west of Denver to Glenwood Canyon. It's in the town of Glenwood Springs. Unfortunately, they tell us, it's too windy for the cable car to bring us to the top.
3.jpg
Here's one of the tram cars. Normally they run every five minutes. We were a bit disappointed. The tram ride plus park entry is $12, and you can add the cave tour for an extra $10. Of course we went with the full day pass, which was $42, but doesn't include the cave tour, an extra $5 in that case.
4.jpg
You're not allowed to drive up yourself, so the park provides these buses when the tram is down. I didn't take any pictures of the bus ride because my knuckles were white from holding on.
5.jpg
When you get to the top, the first thing you see is a bungee tower plus the first credit, a Zierer Tivoli Small. Wild West Express.
6.jpg
Credit!
7.jpg
Nice little coaster.
8.jpg
Now check this out! Alpine slide! We were advised not to use brakes unless facing a sled in front of us! It was awesome.
9.jpg
I would love to work for Wiegand.
10.jpg
There was a climbing wall (left) and some goofy audio animatronics in the outhouses telling jokes.
11.jpg
Nature trail to Cliffhanger
12.jpg
There's a maze.
13.jpg
And finally Cliffhanger.
14.jpg
It's a Hurricane layout. This one came from Celebration City in Branson. The coaster is standard, but the setting is not.
15.jpg
With the operator's permission, I was allowed to take a fully secured camera on board, but it's a violent ride so I didn't get much. Just this one...
16.jpg
And this is the closest thing I got to a money shot. It's breathtaking.
17.jpg
This is riding the uphill lift after the Alpine Coaster.
18.jpg
Some of you may remember Lauren from past TPR trips. She'll be joining us in China too.
19.jpg
Lauren and I decided to try the upcharge ($10) bungee jumping. It was definitely fun, but not very organized. We had to wait a long time for our jump after harnessing up. Of course it didn't help that some lady chickened out after 20 minutes on the ledge.
20.jpg
Here's proof of Lauren's jump.
21.jpg
...and mine. :-(
22.jpg
A few kiddie flats.
23.jpg
Unfortunately we didn't have time for the cave tour. The yellow flag is where the cave was first discovered. A very nice park official, Bob, explained to me that the park started with the tours, which became so popular that the tramway was built. This year was a major expansion, and they've purchased additional land for further expansion.
24.jpg
Here's a real highlight: An S&S Power Screamin' Swing right on the edge of a cliff!
25.jpg
It only has 4 seats, but the side that Cheryl's on beats out anything I've ever seen. Liseberg's is pretty dramatic, but this blows it away.
26.jpg
Alpine slide track.
27.jpg
Another fun attraction: one of those crazy automatic ziplines that are popping up now, like the one at Dixieland in Georgia. This one's on a mountainside. Fun.
28.jpg
They have laser tag for the winter months.
29.jpg
Sharp looking logo.
30.jpg
Here's that nice park official Bob and a staffer named Melinda.
31.jpg
Big gift shop with helpful staff.
32.jpg
There's also a big restaurant with a huge outdoor deck looking out and then another deck above for vistas.
33.jpg
Tramway back down.
34.jpg
We had a great day at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park!
35.jpg
Hopefully this report will put this neat little park on people's radar and we'll see more great things in the future. Thanks for checking it out!
Last edited by milst1 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:22 pm.
Shameless Plug!
One Photo For Every Park We Hit in 2018!
2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009
Last Park: Six Flags New England
Next Park: Somewhere in China
Final 2018 Park Count: 101
Running 2019 Park Count: 39

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Re: Photo TR: Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park

Postby Shavethewhales » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:02 pm

Very cool, thanks for the photos. I didn't realize that this park is starting off in a very similar fashion to SDC, what with the popular cave tours leading to adding rides and attractions.

I'm surprised that the new coaster made the news in the Netherlands. I know it's on a mountain, but it's not like it hangs over the cliff or anything. I hope they are able to save up for a custom coaster that actually takes advantage of the terrain one of these days.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby milst1 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:06 pm

I agree totally that they should keep building and build something cool.

I did contact the reporter. I think he's just driving cross-country or something and just sending in interesting stories as he goes. You're right that it's not earth shattering, but I for one am glad for the heads up.

Thanks for checking out the report.
Shameless Plug!
One Photo For Every Park We Hit in 2018!
2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009
Last Park: Six Flags New England
Next Park: Somewhere in China
Final 2018 Park Count: 101
Running 2019 Park Count: 39

Star Wars is gay.

Postby MayTheGForceBeWithYou » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:56 pm

We made Dutch news?! Sweet...

It's a great park, isn't it? Looked like you had fun. I'm probably going up within the next 2 weeks to try out the new stuff.
人生は素晴らしき冒険旅行

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:16 pm

Awesome report with some good intel I can use for my trip in September. Thanks!

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby technfxrick » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:18 pm

Looks like a great little park. Thanks for the Report!

New Coasters 101
Parks 84

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby beatle11 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:00 pm

Nice looking place. Great spot to put an S&S swing!

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Evanator » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:40 pm

MayTheGForceBeWithYou wrote:We made Dutch news?! Sweet...

It's a great park, isn't it? Looked like you had fun. I'm probably going up within the next 2 weeks to try out the new stuff.

I hadn't heard about, it wasn't even in the Colorado news.....

I really want to go check this out, it looks like a whole lot of fun. I was in Glenwood 2 years ago, but never got a chance to go to the adventure park. Good TR!

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby shivtim » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:32 am

Looks like a really neat park. Thanks for the TR! How was the alpine slide?

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Postby Jakizle » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:55 am

Wow, I visited back in 2007 when literally all they had was the alpine coaster and some ghetto home made swing over the cliff. The park has come a LONG way and looks very impressive!

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!