Tokyo Disney Resort Discussion Thread

P. 172: Soaring: Fantastic Flights opens on July 23rd, 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: Tokyo Disney Resort Discussion Thread

Postby Garet » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:21 pm

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:08 pm

http://www.tdrexplorer.com has the announcement about it, too...

https://tdrexplorer.com/tokyo-disney-resort-closure-coronavirus/

That must have been a hard, but totally understandable, decision to make.
MickeyMask.jpg
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:29 am

I've posted about this elsewhere and I know that a bunch of others feel the same way so I'm not acting like I came up with a groundbreaking theory here but I think it should be noted that this does not appear to be because people in Japan are actually panicking about COVID-19 like we are, it seems like a PR move aimed at the rest of the world who have been critical of their response to this for some reason.

If you're wondering how much the Japanese people themselves are actually worried about this, Soarin had a 150 minute wait today. :lol:
Last edited by coasterbill on Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:32 am.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:40 am

^Agreed. I also think this is the Japanese government trying to get ahead of everything to prep for the Olympics which is their number one priority this year.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby mark549 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:40 pm

SharkTums wrote:^Agreed. I also think this is the Japanese government trying to get ahead of everything to prep for the Olympics which is their number one priority this year.

"Remdesivir, you're our only hope!"

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:02 pm

Our only hope is for the next bright shiny object to come along that we can all freak out about so we can move on from this one.
Last edited by coasterbill on Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:06 pm.

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Postby Jakizle » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:09 pm

Due to be in Japan 3/26-4/6 so watching this very closely. Hoping the next few weeks goes well, no huge spread, and the parks are able to reopen. Interestingly enough, while TDR and USJ are closed, it looks like Nagashima is still open.

Of course, with United scaling back flights, if Delta follows suit my decision might be made for me. For now, it's wait and see what happens around March 15th! I still intend on going if possible :)

Looks like most of the Japanese cases are linked to people who came from China, no real community spread yet. I agree I think this is Japan just being extra cautious for a few weeks before the busy season and Olympics start, which is why I have some hope things will reopen!

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby mark549 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:44 am

Jakizle wrote:Due to be in Japan 3/26-4/6 so watching this very closely. Hoping the next few weeks goes well, no huge spread, and the parks are able to reopen. Interestingly enough, while TDR and USJ are closed, it looks like Nagashima is still open.

Of course, with United scaling back flights, if Delta follows suit my decision might be made for me. For now, it's wait and see what happens around March 15th! I still intend on going if possible :)

Looks like most of the Japanese cases are linked to people who came from China, no real community spread yet. I agree I think this is Japan just being extra cautious for a few weeks before the busy season and Olympics start, which is why I have some hope things will reopen!

How much "community transmission" Japan has may become clear in the next week or two. Diamond Princess cruise ship probably increased this (some people were allowed to leave the ship without going into quarantine). Their government shutting down schools suggests deep concern.

Lots of articles at JapanToday.com - English language Japanese press

https://japantoday.com/category/sports/sports-events-held-in-empty-stadiums-in-japan-amid-virus-outbreak
Sports events held in empty stadiums due to virus outbreak

also

Japan schools may be shut longer depending on coronavirus outbreak: health minister
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-japan-education/japan-schools-may-be-shut-longer-depending-on-coronavirus-outbreak-health-minister-idUSKCN20M02U

Community spread here in USA includes cases this week in California and Oregon seemingly unconnected to travel. The Oregon case today is someone who works for an elementary school in a Portland suburb. The school is now closed until Wednesday (at least).

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Garet » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:14 am

I didn’t see an announcement on the official English site to quote but bbc is reporting this and here is the olc announcement in Japanese http://www.olc.co.jp/ja/news/news_olc/20200311_1/main/0/link/20200311.pdf

1C9F2FBB-DFFF-440D-857A-C38B9DAF03B5.png

Edit: The site has now updated with the news and confirmation that Beauty and the Beast's opening will be delayed as well. I've also quoted the part that includes closures:

As a precautionary measure in line with prevention efforts taking place across Japan and in response to the recommendations of appropriate authorities, Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea will remain closed through early April out of consideration for the health and safety of our guests and cast members. We remain in close contact with related government agencies about the situation and will provide updates as the situation changes.

Please note that the Grand Opening of the new area in Tokyo Disneyland scheduled for April 15, 2020 is postponed to mid-May 2020 or beyond.

1. Special events, programs, shows and facilities that are scheduled to end or permanently close during the temporary closure period.
The following special events, programs, shows and facilities will end or close as planned:

Ending on March 19,2020

Very Very Minnie! (Tokyo Disneyland)
Pixar Playtime (Tokyo DisneySea)
Duffy and Friends’ Heartwarming Days (Tokyo DisneySea)
- Special event merchandise and menu items with souvenirs will be made available after the special event period has ended. Information on sales period, location and method will be posted on the Tokyo Disney Resort Official Website as soon as it becomes available.

Closing on March 25,2020

Fantasmic! (Tokyo DisneySea)

Closing on March 31,2020

Lilo’s Luau & Fun (Tokyo Disneyland)
Jungle Rhythms (Tokyo Disneyland)
Robo Astro (Tokyo Disneyland)
Ariel’s Greeting Grotto (Tokyo DisneySea)

2. Special events and programs that were scheduled to begin during the temporary closure period.
To be determined

Disney Easter (Tokyo DisneySea)
CookieAnn’s Greeting Drive (Tokyo DisneySea)
- Details will be announced after the Park reopens

Source

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:39 am

Ugh. The Japanese are going to lose their shit over not being able to properly say goodbye to some of the events/shows ending!!! I feel it was probably the right decision to extend a bit (like USJ is also doing) but I'm bummed about pushing all of the new stuff back as well. It would be silly to close for two weeks and reopen when stuff is still messed up and then end up having to close back down again. China has shown us that this can be brought under control and get better, it just takes time.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!