NEWS: Wild Rivers Water Park to relocate to Temecula

P. 8: Wild Rivers construction to begin this March!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Wild Rivers Water Park Demolition Pics

Postby metrock » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:13 pm

^^ Exactly. The park was very unique. I loved how I could just walk up a hill to get to a slide, and not a bunch of stairs. And while most of the rides were too old to be saved, not all of them were. The Abyss was still in fairly good condition. The supports could have easily been modified to fit a new landscape. Bombay blasters could be dug up and set aside as well. Though, this would all mean they would have to build the new park on a hill. Something I have a feeling they won't be doing. The land they are looking at is over by the old marine base. That land is flat. But I guess nothing is stopping them from building a hill again ...

I'm also hearing that the new park will not be called Wild Rivers. The company that owns Wild Rivers recently built a water park Temecula called "Splash Canyon." It's been suggested that the new park in Irvine will take this name. Personally, I hope they keep the Wild Rivers name. It's part of the community identity.
Last edited by metrock on Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:21 pm.
- Chris Higgins

| Facebook | Twitter

Young and Stupid! I blame my parents.

Postby SoCalCoasters » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:20 pm

I'm so sad that this park went under...I used to go there every year when the Irish Fair was going on... I'd do an Irish Dance competition in the morning and then go to the waterpark for the afternoon and RACE people on Bombay Blasters, which were indeed the most amazing/insane water slides ever created...

RIP Wild Rivers

PS: Anyone know if they save the big tower at the front of the park? It had the two body bowls and the 6 person raft slide...It was the newest addition, so hopefully those slides got save as they were great...
TPR's Biggest Legoland Nerd, and proud!

Full Fledged Meat Enthusiast!

Location: Phoenix, AZ, San Mateo, CA, A Southwest 737, a Continental 737, A United 737...

Postby QueerRudie » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:49 pm

I recall back in the late 80s this park was featured (along with SFMM) on a Nickelodian TV game show called "Wild and Crazy Kids" where the youts had to traverse the 'rapdis slides' with an egg (Or similar) on a spoon...

However, I'm very sad to see any waterpark bite the dust. Older attractions (Such as the 'rapids' slides...) are still some of the only rides I enjoy in waterparks, and losing another set of these is to me a bit tragic.

R.D.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby Thrillseeker321 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:30 pm

This is very sad because I have been going to Wild Rivers ever since I was 3 years old. Every year I would visit around 14 to 22 times and it was a blast. Seeing these pictures makes me want to cry because this is where all of my summer memories were made. I remember when I was 4 years old my dad would take me into the wave pool and was scared to death that I would drown. I miss those times when I was a little kid and went to Wild Rivers. I will miss everyone of its attractions. I never thought this day would come for a while because with the economy this bad and so many houses being foreclosed I would think that people aren't buying that much and that there is a bunch of vacant homes out there. It truly is sad to see it go and I hope that Wild Rivers will find a permanent location for the future. I hope they will be open for summer of 2013. Goodbye Wild Rivers I hope you had a good life and enjoyed everyone that went to you.

P.S. How did you get access to take these pictures? Thank you for taking these pictures.

R.I.P. Wild Rivers, Thank you for the memories I hope we meet again.

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:42 pm

Only visited the park once, but had a good time during my visit. I'm amazed they're building any sort of housing in this economy, but I'm sure they're getting tax breaks or something.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:58 pm

SoCalCoasters wrote:I'm so sad that this park went under...

I don't think the park actually "went under." I think it was more of an issue with the Irvine Company who owned the land not renewing their lease. If you read the link I posted on the first page, it sounds like the park was actually doing "ok", and they are looking to open again in a new location.

This is also what the guys at Wet N' Wild Las Vegas said when that park closed, so I'd "believe it when I see it", and given that all the old slides are currently being destroyed, the park would be something completely new and different.

But I don't think the park actually "went under" as you say.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:28 pm

Hilltopper39 wrote:While I completely agree that new water park and slide technology is awesome and amazing, I always had a soft spot for some of these "old school" unique waterpark attractions that feel like they were literally carved out of the side of a hill or built out of plywood and concrete.

I think you need both nowadays. I agree, I love the old style tube shoots. Anyone remember the old Barratuba at Adventure Island? It was awesome! We're losing more and more of these around the country and it's a lawsuit issue. More people got hurt on these type of slides which is why you see more parks getting the safer (and easier to maintain) new slides. There is obviously a way to take care of these old slides and not kill guests but very few parks are willing to do that.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby Shellemonster » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:08 pm

^Speaking of Adventure Island, that's why you can't do the hike through the canyons up to the Canyon River Rapids anymore. That was such a cool thing to just get off a slide and go up through the exit pool up through a twisting canyon pouring water down on you. There was so much water and concrete it was somewhat easy to slip and hurt yourself I guess.

Sad to see this place go, looks like it would have been fun.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:25 pm

^Ugh, are you serious? That's closed now!?!? TERRIBLE!!!

My brain is often hibernating.

Postby -Edge of Beast- » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:03 pm

This seriously looked like a good park to me. I always love the old water slides much more than the great new "Proslide" creation. I'm still happy Oceans of Fun has old school slides, because they're my favorite. It would be great if this opened in the future! Who knows though with the Irvine Company in the way.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!