TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mirabilandia Discussion Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I overreacting? is it too much to ask for an Italian park to not make itself to be the laughing stock of the coaster community?

What "return to form" are you talking about? iSpeed isn't even ten years old. If you're talking about being let down by Divertical, what did you expect from what is mainly a water ride? Mirabilandia has no obligation to the coaster community. They are a theme park first, and it would appear as though they want to grow into a destination park (if they aren't there already) that caters to all demographics. In my opinion, if that means leaving the "coaster enthusiast" category alone for a little while longer, so be it.

My worry would be capacity. Maybe it was just Skyline, but they didn't send the next train out until the previous one returned to the station. Each run took 30-40 seconds and each bike seats 1-2 riders. Assuming each bike has 2 riders and each dispatch occurs every 30 seconds, that's a max of 240 riders per track per hour. But I'm guessing a lot of people will want to ride alone to control their own speed. How busy does Mirabilandia get?

From what I understand, the Spike coasters are like Bobkart attractions in that they can have multiple cars on the circuit at once. Since each car is individually powered and controlled, safety systems are in place to stop or reduce the speed of a vehicle that gets too close to the one in front. Maurer's own promotional material shows a bunch of cars moving around the circuit at once, so perhaps Mirabilandia will operate theirs as intended.

Am I overreacting? is it too much to ask for an Italian park to not make itself to be the laughing stock of the coaster community?

What "return to form" are you talking about? iSpeed isn't even ten years old. If you're talking about being let down by Divertical, what did you expect from what is mainly a water ride? Mirabilandia has no obligation to the coaster community. They are a theme park first, and it would appear as though they want to grow into a destination park (if they aren't there already) that caters to all demographics. In my opinion, if that means leaving the "coaster enthusiast" category alone for a little while longer, so be it.

OK. I'll admit that the "return to form" part was *a bit* of an exaggeration. I'll also say you're right that it's their choice as to whether or not they want to appeal to coaster enthusiasts.

[rant]

However, when you get something that is embarrassing even by "Family-thrill coaster" standards, especially considering the budget that's gone into this entire project, which is €25M, it kinda makes my skin crawl.

Let me just be very, very clear. I actually like the new area concept they've got going for them, since that part of the park really was falling apart at this stage. The showroom is definitely something different, although it's not technically a new ride, and the VR/simulator stuff, if it's anything like what Ferrari World has (which I highly doubt), then it'll be definitely interesting. It's just that saying that I'm extremely disappointed that they've chosen the Spike coaster, even if there's better alternatives even when considering budget, is an extreme understatement.

If you're talking about being let down by Divertical, what did you expect from what is mainly a water ride?

As you're bringing up Divertical, as a side note, let me just say that poor layout and thrills delivery aside, I think it was possibly one of their worst investments to date. They initially hyped it up to be something way bigger than it actually was, going all "oh this is the biggest investment in the park's history and it will be the biggest in the world of its kind", and then sort of dancing around what it actually was until we found that out the hard way, and that made the reveal even more bitter sweet. Not to mention the countless downtime it had in its first years of its lifetime. But fine, it was an intermediary coaster between their family coasters and their thrill coasters which I guess added to their lineup, and it's a half decent coaster, so there's really not much else to complain about, there.

Mirabilandia has no obligation to the coaster community. They are a theme park first, and it would appear as though they want to grow into a destination park (if they aren't there already) that caters to all demographics. In my opinion, if that means leaving the "coaster enthusiast" category alone for a little while longer, so be it.

At the same time though, they have really been catering to families a lot during these past few years. Think about it- Far West Valley and Dinoland's additions have all been either family rides or rethemeing of pre-existing rides, and I guess it worked, since some of those areas really needed a refresher.

I guess a bit of the disappointment from this announcement (outside of the TPR forums, mainly) comes from the fact that since they've been on such a streak with family additions, people just blindly assumed that they'd mix it up and add in something bigger, not necessarily a full-on extreme coaster, but something that'd at least put the park back onto the radar for thrill seekers. Because in all honesty, I think their family lineup has enormously outweighed their thrill rides', having only three of their current rides only counting as legitimate thrill rides, four if you throw Divertical in there, and that is a pretty big stretch if you ask me.

Another thing is that people were so let down by this announcement because, hypothetically speaking, Mirabilandia was the only one that could have potentially invested in thrilling additions at all. Let's look at this: Gardaland is currently working on a new Peppa Pig themed area (which I mentioned in the Gardaland Discussion Thread) as well as refurbishing its current dark rides (hallelujah!), and every other park in Italy either can't afford it (especially the Roman parks (God, they'll be lucky if they stay open within the next few years...)), or have environmental implications that prevent them from expanding (Cavallino Matto immediately comes to mind, since they can't tear down too many trees (Freestyle has caused them A LOT of problems in that regard)), or they simply don't want to, because they're family parks (Leolandia and Luneur 2.0, I'm looking at YOU!). So, yeah. They could've been a beacon of hope, ideally.

And finally (almost done...) I keep looking around at all these new rides popping up all over Europe, like Taron, RedForce, Wildfire, the list goes on... and the Italian park that claims to have "Europe's best roller coasters" as a selling point, gets... a Spike coaster. I used to think that someday they'll muster up enough cash to one-up these newer and better rides... someday... someday... Sooomedayyy my Prince will coooome... . I guess that ain't happening any time soon... not with all the money they're spending on this project...

[/rant]

I think at this point we just have to let this happen, see how the GP reacts to it, as well as their new waterpark expansion, which no one seems to care about at the moment, and well... see how it goes.

I'm deeply sorry if I came across as rude or obnoxious, but I thought this had to be said.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm looking at possibly visiting this park on a Saturday in August. Since I'd only have a half day, I'm planning on a skip-the-line pass. Two questions on this item.

1) Do they typically sell out of the skip the line passes? I couldn't find a way to pre-purchase it online.

2) It says you can't get the front row with the skip-the-line pass. I did want to try Katun and iSpeed in the front at least once. If I wait in the main queue, do both rides offer choice seating?

• 1 month later...

Next week I'm Italy to visit Mirabilandia. I just went over a round on RCDB where I checked on coasters under construction and found out Desmo Racer had opened yesterday.

67337395_2981185135287951_64373051436826624_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_oc=AQlz7wbqH6BGcs0f4TtmuRPZ-F-S_Nwd40B1A66dc3lc3Wlr_c3pxuWmGQnmyWKDqeIZfRn2IVwHPudDlI8Cijb0&_nc_ht=scontent-ams4-1.xx&oh=d2a0a4b0cdc59823db60f732a6f674f6&oe=5DA9511D

(Settings are in Dutch so the date is DD/MM/YY)

Also found one article that seemed to confirm this on Mirabilandia forever. I'm hoping to find out if people know more?

Also I was sure when a couple of days ago when I check for prices and opening hours I landed on the Desmo Racer page and it seemed like there was this disclaimer (was in Italian even on the English site) that seems to be gone, but I'm not sure anymore if I saw what I saw but what I was sure on was that Desmo Racer was at the end of the Intense line up and now is in the front of it. I'm not sure at all anymore.

• 8 months later...

In my lockdown Youtube-ing I came across a video of the Lights, Motor, Action stunt show's interior POV (linky link)

I recalled how Mirabilandia had one insane car stunt show, as well, back in 2012 (before the Hot Wheels update) that Robb and Elissa became part of during the TPR trip! Here's all of the videos I have of that show, complete with Robb in a semi and Elissa in a cop car doing all kinds of wacky crap -

Robb and Elissa get taken in for questioning, forced into a game of Follow The Leader by a corrupt police force, thrown in a cop car, and drift all over the damn place -

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

timestamp 1:24

Robb's grand entrance in a semi -

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

timestamp 2:04

Elissa coming in on a 'Murica-mobile, followed by ridiculous car stunts in the passenger seat -

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

And more general insanity from everyone involved -

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]