Those of you who have been members of TPR, or following the site for a while know that we are of the philosophy that we do not like to make changes to the website without there being a significant benefit to our readers. Basically, we are not the kind of website that makes "changes for the sake of making changes..."
That being said, it may be time to update TPR's front page of the website, mainly because the front page was originally developed for non-wide screen computer monitors. And as browsers get more sophisticated, and displays get wider, there is an opportunity to take advantage of all of that.
1. Do you think it even needs updating at all? 2. What elements of the front page do you really LIKE, and would hate to see go away and/or change. 3. What elements do you feel are MISSING from the front page? 4. What other changes would you suggest?
Please feel free to answer as many of those questions as you want, or add in your own comments. We would not be making any changes to TPR's front page until this fall at the earliest, but it's always great to start thinking about things sooner than later!
Right now I think the format's fine the way it is...we've got a column for TPR updates, one for general park updates...easy enough to follow for me! So I say leave it, if it's not broken no need to fix it.
And to answer the questions: 1. Not really, it's fine how it is.
2. I like the separation of the TPR-related updates, and general park updates...and the random TPR update at the top as it breathes life into past trips. 3. Personally I think everything's covered...no need to cram even more into the front page, it's already got a lot to it. If anymore were to be added, it would start to feel like having a page that tries to do everything, becoming a huge mess. 4. No changes, just keep the TPR awesomeness going!
It needs more saturation and a watermark across it, that's what it's missing.
I like the front page, the only thing I can think of was maybe a drop down forum button that navigates you to the sections of the forum when you hover over the forum button, I don't know if that's do-able but it'd be nice.
That's pretty much the only thing I can think of, I'll come back to this later if I can think of anything else.
P.S. My suggestion isn't even necessary I'm totally fine with clicking forum and scrolling, just thought it'd look cool. =P
My opinion? TPR is all about CONTENT .. The main page features a lot of content. I'd go two ways this.. Either leave it exactly the same, but maybe update the graphics and layouts to something more current or go the way the way of other sites with one or two really high res flashy graphics and two or three really current stories.
MSN found out that by removing a lot of the content from their main page and adding larger graphics, people were more likely to click through more links, but with TPR content is king and I really like the way things are.
One other thought, the diamond pattern behind the title bar menu gives me seizures (so does playing street fighter 2).
Chris "just my thoughts at the time man" Connolly
oh yeah.. I'd definitely add more watermarks everywhere.
Last edited by Chroniq on Tue May 31, 2011 5:34 pm.
I don't think the website can get any simpler to use, other than that mouseover drop-down menu ^^DoubleStuff suggested. I like being able to maneuver through a website easy and not have everything jumbled up, hard to see or read, millions of links on the first page, etc.
The ClubTPR drop-down menu can have listed *join *View Benefits *Events *Code of Conduct *Contact *Login. Just an idea.
The current website is easy for me to navigate around, but change is always nice. The Park Index came out brilliantly, so I wouldn't mind seeing something new. If I had to choose a side and stick with it, I would say keep it the way it is because there is nothing wrong with it.
1. Do you think it even needs updating at all? Honestly, TPR's front page has essentially been the same ... FOREVER. It's familiar, inviting and I don't think it needs to change. Some sites change their front page weekly (it seems) and it get's tedious.
2. What elements of the front page do you really LIKE, and would hate to see go away and/or change. LOVE the Random stuff, sometimes I find things that I never saw when they were originally posted. Although I have seen a few repeats, maybe just add more stuff to the "Randomizer"?
3. What elements do you feel are MISSING from the front page? A bigger disclaimer.
1. A little tweaking in my opinion, explained more below.
2. I like the "general" column of updates on the right side, but the left side of "TPR updates" really has never done anything for me. I guess I usually just see the big updates in the forum, and I could see how it helps for incoming viewers, but for me I mainly ignore it.
I do like the random update generator, but I feel like it and the announcements section just push the "general" update column further down the page and it makes it harder for me to see the newer updates.
Also, the line of white text at the top of the page under the yellow text in the header just seems too much, and I feel like they can be better merged into one line.
3. I've always wanted to see a video on the front page from a recent TPR filming session, whether it be from Coastertube, DVD segments, or POVs. I think it would help promote Coastertube and the Youtube channel, if properly done right.
4. Going off of the whole wide screen thing, all of the text and pictures sometimes seem too cluttered for me, just like being bombarded with text and there's so much going on.
Just my opinions! I'm sure whatever ends up on the front page will still remain awesome
Sir Clinksalot wrote:1. Do you think it even needs updating at all? Honestly, TPR's front page has essentially been the same ... FOREVER. It's familiar, inviting and I don't think it needs to change. Some sites change their front page weekly (it seems) and it get's tedious.
Keep in mind that if we were to "update" the front page, it would be an "update", not a "change." So I think whatever we would do would still be familiar....
But having said that, this is all really great feedback!
I mean, I'm not about to change something if people don't think it needs it.
My biggest issue right now is that when I look at the page on a wide screen monitor I think to myself "What can I do with all that empty space on the sides?"
I mean, how many people out there DON'T have a widesceen monitor these days?
I wouldn't mind seeing the front page get some updates.
I like the general organization of the page, and I think that's something that should be left fairly alone. I think that having the pictures next to the update info is a great choice, and should definitely stay.
I think that the style of the page (font, color, background, etc) might be updated to something a little more modern. I think the thing that is lacking the most visually is the menu bar at the top of the page. There's a lot going on up there, and it could be a little bit more sleek. I think it is crucial to keep that aspect of fun in the style of the page, but at the same time I think it could look a bit less dated. I agree that the announcements section could take up less space. I think it's necessary, but perhaps without the pictures, or something along those lines, so that the updates aren't as far down the page.
I do think that having the two slogans (the first in the header and the second in the white line of text) is a bit much. The white text is fairly redundant, as everything that's stated in it is also in the menu options. I don't think the menus should have drop-down stuff, as that can get a little annoying and I don't mind clicking to the Forum page before going to the different forums. You might also play with relocating the search bar. I'm not sure where it might go, but the spot it's in is kind of bizarre because it takes up a ton of space.
The last thing I think that you could do is play with color. The header has some very bold, distinct colors that are then never repeated in the design of the home page. Instead you have the yellow and orange text. I think that keeping yellow somewhere in the text is important as it is the primary text color of the forums, but I also think that the orange could go away. Perhaps you change the color of the headers to each section ("Announcements" "Random Stuff" etc).
These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment, Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.
photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by
a professional ride photographer.
For yours and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at
parks without proper permission.
You need a sense of humor to view our site,
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER! There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13." Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.