Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

P. 660 - Sidewinder Safari Roller Coaster Announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Re: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Postby scooterdoug » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:05 pm

^I agree, the park has been pretty inconsistent as of late. I went last Wednesday, and none of the rides in the DC area were open at the park's opening time. The Joker was the first to open at 11, followed by Batman close to noon. Superman was perhaps a full half hour after that. I was there yesterday as well. Batman opened pretty promptly (though not exactly at 10:30, while Joker opened at about 11. Superman was open right on time, while Wonder Woman opened later in the day. It's frustrating. They did, though, get The Flash up and running in the early afternoon.
The good news: The Joker's second train is back (as of yesterday). They were running it empty when the park first opened (with the plastic wrap still over the seats). Though, they took the train off before opening the ride. For the rest of the day, the ride ran with only one train, while the other train sat on the transfer track, being worked on by mechanics throughout the day. So, it looks like the park's best ride will be back to two-train operation soon (if it isn't already).
Aikido: Why fight when you can flow?

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby dmax11 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:51 pm

i went this past Sunday 6/30.

morning started out good sense i hung out in DC area and they opened joker around 11 am and i got on pretty fast, then i went to medusa, about a 10 minute wait not bad then i headed back over to DC area and go in line for batman. about half hour wait wasn't bad. not a big fan of the ride though little to no g-forces its all just spin and scare you crap, i'll pass going forward its a glorified carnival zipper to me. so far joker easily best ride here (knew i would be) and Medusa is a great floorless B&M. after batman i debated waiting to get on superman but given the sour taste in my mouth from batman spinner and the long lines i figured it would just be a waste and a similar gimmic so i went back over to the medusa side of the "thrill park" if you will and to my suprise it was even shorter wait there nearly walk on so got on it again, it is a great coaster. after that i roamed the park for some beer and food and checked out the rest and animal exhibits a bit then thought i might get back in line for the joker again but line was ridiculously long and slow thanks to single training it.

So I went back over to medusa side of the park and decided surely Kong wouldn't have a long line because its well known to be terrible right? wrong. line was about 45 min at least but i slogged through it and rode in 3rd car from the front and frankly it wasn't terrible to me, i would never wait in that long of a line for it ever again but it didn't live up to its head banging rep it has to me which is i guess so infamous even the ride OP was making side comments the whole time i was in line about how rough it was and they always joked when the train came back in about how amazing the ride was.

of all the major rides only Medusa and Batman were running more than one train. worth noting that Medusa has 3 trains and the 3rd train was in the bay clearly not ready to go. Kong's 2nd train is easily visable and clearly not anywhere near operable there are no restraints on the cars at all on it it looks like its being used for parts. The Joker's 2nd train was there but had some plastic or something over most seats didn't look ready to go but surly its mid summer and this is the best ride there they should have it running two by now! the Flash was closed no sign of anything or any reason, Harley Quinn ride also closed and all the plastic seats have been removed and when i was walking in before open there was exactly one person working on the seat mounts with a drill at the time so it appears they are retrofitting new seats onto it or modifying it in some way but once again appear to not be in any rush whatsoever in getting it back up and running.. I'll not get into the status of many older flat rides there that are basically abandoned outside of the "thrill" sections of the park.

overall i have to say the park is not terrible but comparing it to my real home park which is CGA its no comparison CGA is better maintained more coasters are running multiple trains, nothing is in disrepair in plane sight there and given Railblazers addition CGA has a better coaster lineup with more real coasters even though most are quite outdated and/or short. I wouldn't likely go back to SFDK and only bought a membership because i'm going to SFMM for a few days in the coming weeks and i was *slightly* cheaper if i got it there first.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby dmax11 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:03 pm

Update : visited again today to grab missed credits. crowd was decent but not excessive. The Joker was running two trains (finally) really did have a much better time though their operations do seem quite shaky at times still Joker was very late to open and broke down right as i got on it my 5th time (but really it wasn't broken they just needed to cycle the train again but made us wait over nothing heh)

top rides there imho

#1 The Joker: any seat but back will get you the most ejector as with any RMC i have ridden
#2 Medusa : Front i have found is best overall experience on B&M floorless coasters and this one does not disappoint
#3 Superman Ultimate Flight : Rode it twice today a really good launch coaster but i think YOLOcoaster at SFMM is better.

after that it gets wishy washy to rank

good rides:
Wonder woman pendulum most SF parks have now is fun and relaxing.
the flash: vertical velocity very good if its operating and it was today!
Batman S&S freespin eh its good if your into it but i'm still of the opinion even after a 2nd ride that its a glorified Zipper, not a bad ride but not a great one either.

meh coasters :
Kong (SLC) if you know what your in for and keep your head pinned back and body stiff you'll survive the kong but its still hardly fun after exerting all that effort to prevent headbanging.
Cobra: boring kids coaster that doesn't belong in the same area as the rest of the rides in that area.

ride counts
The Joker 5x (front, back and various middle seats)
Medusa 3x ( Front, near back and middle)
Superman 2X (Front of 2nd train and 2nd row in front train)
The Flash V2 2x (2nd from front and rear)
Kong 1x
Cobra 1x
Batman 1x
Wonder woman 1x

overall edge still goes to CGA for me. its a better rounded park and just needs another great coaster and perhaps a launch coaster to put it heads above SFDK its already slightly ahead of it overall to me with a nice mix of rides and a solid top 3 of coasters.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:07 am

dmax11 wrote:#1 The Joker: any seat but back will get you the most ejector as with any RMC i have ridden

You didn't find the back of Joker to have the strongest airtime? I found that row significantly better than the front when I visited the park last year.

Glad they got 2 trains running for you.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Hamburg DOM & Heide Park

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:43 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:
dmax11 wrote:#1 The Joker: any seat but back will get you the most ejector as with any RMC i have ridden

You didn't find the back of Joker to have the strongest airtime? I found that row significantly better than the front when I visited the park last year.

I believe he meant to say "any seat [is good], but the back will get you the most ejector....." Oh, the importance of a comma!

Also, for the locals, has the Flash been running fairly consistently? I'm heading to the park on Monday and given that it was closed when I went last summer, I'm really hoping it's running that day. I know there's no way to tell now, but if it's been running fairly consistently since the retheme, I will *slightly* raise my expectations!
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby grsupercity » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:56 am

Kong (SLC) if you know what your in for and keep your head pinned back and body stiff you'll survive the kong but its still hardly fun after exerting all that effort to prevent headbanging.

I am a fan of SLC's. I always found my best riding style on those was to hold my head all the way forward out of the restraint. You get zero head banging that way a pretty enjoyable intense ride.
After riding Lightning Run I can not understand why parks are not lining up to buy some Hyper GTX models. That little ride rocks

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby dmax11 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:38 pm

thrillseeker4552 wrote:
Canobie Coaster wrote:

I believe he meant to say "any seat [is good], but the back will get you the most ejector....." Oh, the importance of a comma!

Also, for the locals, has the Flash been running fairly consistently? I'm heading to the park on Monday and given that it was closed when I went last summer, I'm really hoping it's running that day. I know there's no way to tell now, but if it's been running fairly consistently since the retheme, I will *slightly* raise my expectations!

Yes indeed missed comma made that come out wrong, the back is the best for airtime of course :)

as for the Flash yes it appears to be up and running pretty consistently based off my last trip and also from checking https://queue-times.com/parks/33/queue_times i have not seen it down most days i check lately.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby dmax11 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:40 pm

grsupercity wrote:

I am a fan of SLC's. I always found my best riding style on those was to hold my head all the way forward out of the restraint. You get zero head banging that way a pretty enjoyable intense ride.

Ah i know what you mean i do that on CGA's Demon and Patriot due to the head banging as well i'll have to try it on Kong next time i go thanks for the tip!

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby SteVeUrkle » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:35 am

How bizarre, my experience at the park earlier this week was great!

I went with my brother on Monday July 15th, we showed up around 2pm and there were practically no lines. Every ride was operating except for Kong. Stupid Harley Quinn and stupid Daredevil were closed but seriously who gives two craps about those hunk of junk eyesores?

Joker had 2 trains. Medusa had 2 trains. Superman had 2 trains**. Batman ran all cars. Would go down, but then be right back up, and was operating flawlessly with great dispatches no line. I think we rode Batman about 5 times and we started to learn how to influence the spinning with our leg movements, and we started to get really good at providing some really wild rides! Such an improvement over the Intamin Zac-Spins; my brother loved Insane @ Grono & Green Lantern @ SFMM because of the intensity, but admitted this was much more fun, and much more re-rideable!

I rode Wonder Woman and it was pretty fun, much more extreme than I’m used to for a flat ride! My first time on a Frisbee Pendulum so extraordinary in scope, had a really good long ride cycle too.

For the first time ever I took the walk of shame (arrrrgh!!), at The Flash ride. I don’t know if the restraints are different because I’ve ridden it before, and rode Wicked Twister @ CP several times, but those restraints are probably the tightest most restrictive things I have ever experienced. I’m not even that big of a guy, I get on everything else just fine, so I was pretty shocked when I couldn’t ride. Bummer! I love the front spike on this Intamin Shuttle!

The last ride of the day was Joker and at about 7:50pm (10 minutes before the park closed) Joker went down. They evacuated the train back to the loading side, and said we could wait. Being the roller coaster veteran I am, and judging by the ride-ops posture, I figured this would be a pretty quick fix. After 5 minutes I asked “Did you call a mechanic” and he said yup. I asked “how long does it usually take them to get here?” and he said it depends. Mechanic showed up pretty quick. Didn’t even run 1 test circuit. Put his magic key in the control panel, and we literally got in our seats just as the park closed. Great ride to end the night, and has got to be my favorite ride at the park. I just love how it does so much in such a small space, and it really gets you close to the ground!

So I wonder if that’s the Joker train that was giving them trouble because they were running test cycles at least an hour or so after park closing. I could see the trains running while we exited the park and waited for our Lyft. I’m surprised they got the train off the track so quickly, seems as if it happened overnight!

**I know Superman only has 1 train I was just joking around.
Live Cedar Point Queue Times: https://queue-times.com/parks/50/queue_times

Is that a giant golf ball?

Postby alpengeistdude321 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:01 pm

^SFDK is very hit or miss. Lately the park operations have been more on the miss side, but I am glad you caught the park on a good day. It is so relieving to hear that Joker is back on two trains. With that news, I may need to try to make one more trip up to Vallejo before the craziness of Fright Fest starts.
-John

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!