Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

P. 660 - Sidewinder Safari Roller Coaster Announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Re: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Postby Mike240SX » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:34 pm

The picture doesn't even show a station for the S&S 4D. Don't worry.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 145
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Fury 325, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby DropDeadFuzzy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:59 pm

The park has begun removing the Dolphin Pool in the DC Universe area.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Samuel » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:45 pm

Is there a reason that most of the coasters and big rides are packed along the front areas of the park? I remember Pandemonium, Zonga, and now Superman and this new DC nook all working along the same strip. I'm wondering if it's simply the space that's most readily available, or if there is some reason that this is where the park has to pack in its rides.

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby vertigomike » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:16 pm

Samuel wrote:Is there a reason that most of the coasters and big rides are packed along the front areas of the park? I remember Pandemonium, Zonga, and now Superman and this new DC nook all working along the same strip. I'm wondering if it's simply the space that's most readily available, or if there is some reason that this is where the park has to pack in its rides.

There really isn't a quick answer to this one. Marine World moved to Vallejo in 1996, the same year that the naval base was decommissioned, but the complicated use of that base site still by others including the Coast Guard meant during the key years of growth for the park, Marine World developed under much of the same restrictions as when the base was operational. That tells much of the story of how the land, sea, and water areas developed for the park as they did. Management has said before that the park has adapted and evolved around the restrictions into what it is today and that has worked well for park flow, for the wildlife habitats, visibility of new attractions at the front of the park and working within their restrictions.
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/3daeb7ce4d5157dc4ad7d17c8391e12f.jpg[/img][/url]

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby SteVeUrkle » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:34 pm

Samuel wrote:Is there a reason that most of the coasters and big rides are packed along the front areas of the park?

This is my biggest gripe about the park. Discovery Kingdom is HUGE and yet they smash everything together on top of each other in a typical Six Flags blacktop laden treeless wonderland like they have NO ROOM else, and it completely ignores and fails to incorporate the amazing tree laden natural atmosphere around 3/4 of the rest of the park.

Even worse, the rides are on a big "horseshoe" guest walkway designed around the entrance of the park which is smack dab in the center of all the major rides. So if you're on one side of the park where Joker is, and want to go ride Medusa you have to walk ALL THE WAY around the horseshoe to get over there even though it's literally as the crow flies, a stones throw away. I think a bridge over or tunnel under the entrance plaza would be an AWESOME addition!

What's sad is they don't seem determined to keep any of the animal exhibits up to par either, so I'm not sure why they keep installing rides this way. Really a shame considering they actually have a beautiful park and some pretty decent rides. I wish they'd "round out" the park and spread the attractions considering how beautiful the rest of the park is.

Last but not least, kinda sick of the flak Scream gets for having a reputation as a "parking lot" coaster when literally Medusa is the exact same thing. You can *still* see the parking lot lines beneath the coaster several times.

But besides that, I love the park! Great selection of rides, great atmosphere away from the cluster crap of rides, will probably be visiting this Summer for my brothers birthday since we had a pretty good time on our last visit!

But pick somewhere else to put rides for gosh sakes!
Live Cedar Point Queue Times: https://queue-times.com/parks/50/queue_times

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby scooterdoug » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:32 pm

Samuel wrote:Is there a reason that most of the coasters and big rides are packed along the front areas of the park? I remember Pandemonium, Zonga, and now Superman and this new DC nook all working along the same strip. I'm wondering if it's simply the space that's most readily available, or if there is some reason that this is where the park has to pack in its rides.

I believe that there are couple of reasons for this. First, the land on the other side of the lake is residential, and the homeowners don't want noisy roller coasters echoing across the lake. Second, management keeps that side of the park quiet so as not to disturb the animals. I think that those are the main reasons for the lopsided layout of the park. The decommissioned naval base accounts for the 150' height restriction in the park. I could be wrong, but I believe those are the reasons that the park is laid out the way it is.
Aikido: Why fight when you can flow?

I Love Donkeys!

Postby RoxasBraveheart » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:56 am

Sorry for being overtly excited for this, but my last post got on the front page! Thank you so much for it and hopefully it will be the first of many!
Keep on thrilling, TPR! :)
Power to the Coasters main blog: powertothecoasters.netlify.com

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby SafariRob » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:37 pm

DropDeadFuzzy wrote:The park has begun removing the Dolphin Pool in the DC Universe area.

We noticed that on Sunday, too. I asked around about what the plans are but no one seems to know anything. Are there any rumors out there? Not a lot of room for a new attraction there...except maybe bumper boats. Hey, Aquaman Bumper Boats. That could work!

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby ALT2870 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:52 pm

scooterdoug wrote:

I believe that there are couple of reasons for this. First, the land on the other side of the lake is residential, and the homeowners don't want noisy roller coasters echoing across the lake. Second, management keeps that side of the park quiet so as not to disturb the animals. I think that those are the main reasons for the lopsided layout of the park. The decommissioned naval base accounts for the 150' height restriction in the park. I could be wrong, but I believe those are the reasons that the park is laid out the way it is.

That is what I have heard as well. Makes perfect sense really.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:34 pm

To add to what Doug has said, the last time I was at an enthusiast event at the park and participated in a Q&A (which was some time ago) the park management said they could negotiate the height restriction with the city but it would take some paperwork and money. Given that since then the park has continued to put new additions in the front and kept the rides <150' and no one has heard otherwise, I'm guessing they haven't negotiated the height restriction yet.

Maybe in the future the park will look to add something taller or further back in the park but there are other factors at play, such as keeping the noise level down closer to the lake (which is probably more because of neighbors than needing to have coasters away from animals). I'm sure it would take a lot of fighting to enact any change and why fight it when you've been successful obeying it? I could see them removing Kong or shoehorning another coaster or ride into the Medusa area sooner than I could see them fighting to put something along the lake.

I'm sad to hear the dolphin pool is going away. I did notice it seemed the pool was empty more often than not in recent years. I hope they build another one like that elsewhere because it really was cool to view the dolphins so up close. Maybe the site of the Walrus exhibit? Does anyone who has been to the park recently know what has happened (if anything) to the walrus area since the walruses are gone?

Also, it wasn't too long ago that Six Flags put out a survey asking people's opinions about putting in new animal exhibits, so maybe a new or revamped exhibit will come in the next couple of years now that the park has finally filled out its DC area.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!