Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

P. 645 - Batman: The Ride Roller Coaster for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Re: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Postby Jew » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:01 am

Aside from the more recently updated Tiger section, the rest of the animal enclosures were pretty depressing. I'm sure Six Flags takes good care of the animals, but the enclosures themselves felt like the epitome of why people complain about zoo's. They appeared small and not even close to a natural habitat.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:40 am

I stopped by the park last night and of course had to give Harley Quinn a try. Based on lackluster reviews, I went in with low expectations. But it still failed to meet them. It was like a Super Loop that tracked as well as Mean Streak in the back row.

On the bright side, Joker is awesome and definitely not the worst RMC. That ride's first drop and stall were amazing.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler, Skyrush
Most Recent Trip Reports- IMG Worlds of Adventure & Global Village

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby mark549 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:30 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:I stopped by the park last night and of course had to give Harley Quinn a try. Based on lackluster reviews, I went in with low expectations. But it still failed to meet them. It was like a Super Loop that tracked as well as Mean Streak in the back row.

On the bright side, Joker is awesome and definitely not the worst RMC. That ride's first drop and stall were amazing.

"Worst RMC" seems like an oxymoron to me. Perhaps "less spectacular than Steel Vengeance" is a better description.

Joker is great. I like that every element is airtime, inversion or overbanked curve.

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:48 pm

Finally got to visit the park this year! It was a very short visit, less than two hours, but there were no long lines so we still got to ride a lot of rides, including the new Harley Quinn coaster.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. It feels like a ride that has been around for a while and gotten rough, but it's brand new. Even if they fix that (which I hope they do, it's not "never again" rough but it's certainly not comfortable), I'm not sure I would really be apt to ride it every time anyway. It doesn't really feel like a coaster to me.

Also, I got an interesting survey recently. It mentioned the park thinking about a new orangutan exhibit, sloth exhibit, and dolphin demonstration. I wonder how much it was hypothetical, just to see how people felt about bringing in new zoo animals, but I think it would be great to have new animal exhibits! And as far a I recall, they have never had a large ape exhibit so orangs would definitely be new and unique for the park.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby DropDeadFuzzy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:59 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters/comments/amiyzt/v2_at_sfdk_is_being_prepared_for_new_paint/

V2 repaint looks to have been started as pressure washing in the station has begun. There's a huge tarp in the station to protect the rest of the station. The old colors are beginning to show more than usual.

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:54 am

^Great news. Since they're pressure washing down the paint, I assume they're going with a new color. Good. That maroon and purple was one of the ugliest coaster color schemes IMO.

I guess this also puts to bed any rumors that the park is going to remove the ride soon...
Steel: 161 / Wood: 32 / Total: 193
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:47 am

I don't necessarily care it's being painted; I care that it isn't being removed.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler, Skyrush
Most Recent Trip Reports- IMG Worlds of Adventure & Global Village

Postby DropDeadFuzzy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:32 am

thrillseeker4552 wrote:^Great news. Since they're pressure washing down the paint, I assume they're going with a new color. Good. That maroon and purple was one of the ugliest coaster color schemes IMO.

I guess this also puts to bed any rumors that the park is going to remove the ride soon...

I've heard they are going for a brighter red to standout more.

Postby DropDeadFuzzy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:43 pm

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:55 am

In case people were wondering and too lazy to click the above link:
coaster.labs
*****BREAKING NEWS ON V2 REPAINT/FLASH RETHEME*****
Well folks, there she is. V2 is indeed getting painted and yellow and maroon paint chips are everywhere. Are you can see the track will not be yellow, but a cherry red and supports presumably yellow (maybe a combo of the 2 for the track). Anonymous people said that the name will be "The Flash: Vertical Velocity". Not sure how I feel about that, but that would allow the park to keep most signage for the ride. Let me know your thoughts on the color scheme, name and more.

Part of me kind of likes the idea of keeping Vertical Velocity in the name. I've always liked that name. Now, will people still call it V2 or will we call it The Flash? I still call the park Marine World sometimes, to certain audiences who know it better that way. ;)
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!