Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

P. 660 - Sidewinder Safari Roller Coaster Announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Re: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Postby Fire2box » Mon May 30, 2016 5:30 pm

scooterdoug wrote:
Fire2box wrote:
JeromyL wrote:Did Joker open today? (website says its open?)

the website makes no mention of V2 being down for the past 3-4 months or however long it's been down. If you really want to find out you'd have to call the park or wait for someone who went today.

The website says that V2 is temporarily closed. The Joker, it says, is open. Not sure how accurate that is, but it is acknowledging V2's closure.

yeah you're right.

on top of that the website has no mention of thrilla gorllila despite being picture next to the family rides https://www.sixflags.com/discoverykingdom/rides-and-attractions and the newest park map and guide shows it as "season event facility" so maybe a new maze for fright fest?

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby joshfreund » Mon May 30, 2016 6:53 pm

V2 sucks since they had to redesign it for the stupid height restrictions

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby camthedominator » Mon May 30, 2016 7:26 pm

joshfreund wrote:V2 sucks since they had to redesign it for the stupid height restrictions

I would have to disagree with you there. I think the modification makes the ride interesting in its own, weird way. I love the uniqueness, the feeling of going through an incline roll backwards is in my opinion really something else...

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby laqueefa » Mon May 30, 2016 7:57 pm

camthedominator wrote:
joshfreund wrote:V2 sucks since they had to redesign it for the stupid height restrictions

I would have to disagree with you there. I think the modification makes the ride interesting in its own, weird way. I love the uniqueness, the feeling of going through an incline roll backwards is in my opinion really something else...

I'm going to second this. Hanging upside down in the corkscrew always freaks me out! Totally unique.
Tigga, please!

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby CoastersOnly » Tue May 31, 2016 3:54 pm

Instead of going super early on Friday, my girlfriend and I had decided to go on Tuesday given that she was going to take the day off anyway. Seeing that the hours were limited and that it was right after the holiday weekend demand, it surely was the sensible idea.

We got there this morning and the general parking lot was emptier than I've ever seen it before! The fact that anybody would actually try and go on a Tuesday after a holiday weekend must have been lost on DK and we were in for a great score. But...

The. School. Buses.

Immediately upon arrival, we noticed hundreds upon hundreds of teenagers walking the path to the park. By the time we got down to the tram area, hoping a miracle tram arrival would get us past a lot of them and quickly into a Gold Pass line (if there is one) before opening, we realized that each bus was basically packing three teens to a seat, meaning there were literally going to be thousands of people in this park and all of them the sort that would immediately be running for the brand new Joker. Seriously, I could just count the numbers that I had seen and realize that freakin' ride was going to have three hour wait times today, and who knows how many unseen were already in the gates before we got there a little after ten to find parking.

I told my girlfriend that we had two options. We could either brave it, get in and enjoy the water rides since the teens would all go to the coasters first which is kind of a plus since they are usually closed offseason when we actually go. Or we could just cut our losses and go. We did just that, heading back to our car and finding an alternate day plan involving a hike nearby. Meanwhile, the parking lot line turned into a standstill as bus after bus of school kids kept coming in.

Sorry, but waiting out there in 90-plus degree heat with screaming teenagers and their sweaty bodies inches from you for hours for a single ride that potentially could break down due to being new is the very definition of hell. I'm not sure what fun these kids could have really had spending half a day waiting for one ride as the park is only open until 6 or whatever today. It's clear that Six Flags saw an opportunity to sell a bunch of cheap tickets to high school students and pack the place and when you take into account family members that drove up separately in their own cars, we may have been part of a mere handful that were not tied to a high school.

In the end, I'll ride the Joker, but it will be in October at the earliest since September is basically the only chance to use our Waterworld passes for the last time when the crowds aren't insane. It's a shame to have to wait so long, but we're now in the summer and it's going to be chaos.

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Postby Jakizle » Tue May 31, 2016 4:16 pm

^Why not just get there earlier and wait at the park entrance and be the first ones in the park? Ride with no wait, then enjoy a few other rides and go home.

It's basically how I handle going to Six Flags. Or just go for the last 2 hours when the park is open until 10.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby coasterlvr » Tue May 31, 2016 4:32 pm

there were a lot of buses on Friday, too. good thing was that the Joker was just pass holders, and the 4 girls who cut the line without having to show a pass. lol

but once the kids got back on the bus the park was dead. I bet it's clearing out now.

Postby CoastersOnly » Tue May 31, 2016 4:41 pm

Jakizle wrote:^Why not just get there earlier and wait at the park entrance and be the first ones in the park? Ride with no wait, then enjoy a few other rides and go home.

It's basically how I handle going to Six Flags. Or just go for the last 2 hours when the park is open until 10.

The park was only open until 6 today despite the crowds. We usually go on off-season Sundays. And aside from one instance involving cheerleaders last fall, we have gone at least a dozen times to the Vallejo park with basically walk-ons for Superman and the like...with Kong being the only occasional line at 20-30 minutes if there's only one train running. The park is literally a dead zone in the fall, winter and spring on Sundays that aren't on Holiday or Spring Break weekends. We don't even show up at opening ever.

For Magic Mountain, we've gone mid-week in May. Nobody there.

Even if we had beat the schools today (which was impossible because I was getting off work this morning), it would have meant a whopping single ride on Joker and then the park would have been immediately filled to the brim. I can just wait until the Fall when nobody is there and ride it to my heart's content.

Postby CoastersOnly » Tue May 31, 2016 4:45 pm

jtaudioacc wrote:there were a lot of buses on Friday, too. good thing was that the Joker was just pass holders, and the 4 girls who cut the line without having to show a pass. lol

but once the kids got back on the bus the park was dead. I bet it's clearing out now.

They're only open until 6 today, so I imagine the students mostly stayed there until closing. Otherwise, there's likely a lot of kids that didn't even get into the park by noon and it would be ridiculous for their school to have everybody meet back at the bus at four or whatever. Those teens would literally get on The Joker and that's about it.

Today's attendance actually might have been alright compared to how it generally is even on those offseason Sundays, but the problem lies with the demographics. When my girlfriend and I go on offseason, the parking lot can be pretty damn full but it's almost entirely families with younger kids, leaving the thrill rides to have nobody on them. These were all teenagers today and a thousand teenagers alone means two hour waits for Joker and Medusa right off the bat. They aren't going to all wander over to the dolphin show.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Tue May 31, 2016 4:55 pm

Yikes, that sounds awful. I got to go with my high school class once like ten years ago and I think we literally rode like Medusa and maybe one more thing all day, and it was SUPER hot. One of the worst days I've ever been to the park. I had reasoned that classes were still in session so today should be light, but I didn't think about end-of-the-year school groups and senior trips. No thanks. Glad I didn't try to stop by for a "quick ride on Joker." I'd be interested to know how long the lines actually did get.

Did you guys know if Joker is even running today?
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!