Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

P. 660 - Sidewinder Safari Roller Coaster Announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Re: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Postby Fire2box » Sat May 28, 2016 4:32 pm

jtaudioacc wrote:
sfmman2000 wrote:Waiting in tunnel, the music here could make someone go crazy.

I was in the tunnel for 20-30 minutes when it broke down yesterday. but I think being in the shade and hearing the music is better than being in the sun and no music. lol

Yeah being in the tunnel below the station is a great place to get out of yesterday's sun and the wind was decent at 4pm when it broke down yesterday.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby mark549 » Sat May 28, 2016 6:09 pm

I got two rides this morning - front seat and back seat.

Glad i left before it broke down, but I could see the crowds approaching.

I think Twisted Colossus (dueling) is more fun, but Joker is more intense, more than a "Batman" (B&M) for a ride than TC. Both are great.

I look forward the off season to get lots of rides (with no waiting) on Joker. Today was a nice introduction but not a time for marathon sessions.

I'm glad SF put up a shade over the large queue and urge them to buy another tarp for the queue just outside the station (along the asphalt walkway).

I look forward to what RMC has planned for the future.

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby XSupremacy » Sat May 28, 2016 6:58 pm

lucky, I was in line when it broke. I am most likely coming back tomorrow though
https://coasterdemon.com/
1 Steel. The Joker SFDK
1 Wood. Ghostrider (after GCI rehab)

Nobody beats the Ziz

Postby canadianparkfan » Sat May 28, 2016 7:12 pm

Fire2box wrote:forgot to add the new BBQ and sports bar place opens Saturday. I was pretty letdown it wasn't open today.

Mater wrote:Holy fudge this ride is too good. Just got a back row ride in, getting one in the front before heading home. If you see a dude in a Beatmania shirt say what's up.

Edit: I would never say fudge.

Edit 2: wtf Riddler's station music is so good, I wouldn't be as into electronic music as I am today if I hadn't rode that as a kid.

I like Riddler's station's song personally . But if your in there for like 20 mins it gets old. sorry if it seems like I didn't like it. I do.

Maybe the better phrasing would be. "The Joker has the worst station soundtrack I've personally ever heard."

Riddler music: 1:05... Dubstep music 15 years before it was cool??? :lmao:

As for joker, the ride looks great! Wish my home park had an RMC like this... Or any RMC for that matter.
Top 5 Steel Coasters:
1: Le Vampire, La Ronde 2: Mindbender, Galaxyland 3: Tie: Behemoth, Canada's Wonderland -- Goliath, La Ronde 4: Leviathan, Canada's Wonderland 5: Skyrider R.I.P. :(, Canada's Wonderland

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Sat May 28, 2016 8:14 pm

Got 4 rides today. Even better than yesterday. We were on the brake run when it broke down the first time. Got one more ride later in the day when my friend left and I took a break to wait for my other friend.

However, when we went back around 4ish it was down and sounded like it would be for the rest of the day. Super sunburnt and dehydrated we looked at the other coasters and they had "hell no" lines. So we left around 6. Might be back again in the next couple days for my other friend to ride.

They REALLY need to shade more of the queue. We were dying waiting in the line for 45 min mostly in the sun. Annoying music tunnel was definitely a welcome respite!

Oh, and MUCH better operations! They ended up letting pass holders ride all day, and non pass holders with the shirt.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Fire2box » Sat May 28, 2016 8:31 pm

RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:They REALLY need to shade more of the queue. We were dying waiting in the line for 45 min mostly in the sun. Annoying music tunnel was definitely a welcome respite!

I'll 100% let go of my requests for a single rider line if they put up shade netting along the entire line.

However they got enough room to make a small single rider line to the left of the entrance still separate from ADA/flashpass. then the ride ops can call for however many riders they need. the same thing can work for the exit too but that might be a little more of a nightmare to setup considering how tiny the giftshop/photo booth actually is.

I wish Six Flags would of let RMC tear down the station and build a new one on the ground. I don't know how hard it would of been to still have the repair station as is then have trains dip back down to ground level, but it would of been possible I assume. If it was on the ground then they wouldn't have to have the same POS elevator from Roar or the staircase they can't seem to make up their mind about. They want to keep the staircase clear it seems and that only helps the empty seating problem.

The good news is the ride operations can still be improved and I think they will be. if not, well medusa line's will hopefully take a hit and be shorter then ever.

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Postby Jakizle » Sat May 28, 2016 9:47 pm

Was able to ride Joker about 10 times today and help get some awesome footage for you guys! Look out for that soon.

Joker is a fantastic ride and I place it somewhere in the middle of the park of all of the RMC's. Great twisted layout with some really forceful airtime and good inversions. It's quick and snappy!

It was nice seeing a few of you out there and chatting briefly. The crew also was fantastic I though, as they were learning their new ride but still being very hospitable.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby sfmman2000 » Sat May 28, 2016 9:49 pm

RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:Oh, and MUCH better operations!

I can't even imagine yesterday then, haha.

It seems today (Saturday) they had a hard time dispatching trains consistently. But it's not as if the ops were working slow -- they weren't. I'd say the infrastructure and procedures are more to blame. Full rows were going out empty because they weren't letting enough people in the station. Lap bars are basically triple checked and are not to be pulled down by the rider. Mobs of people with exit passes crowd the exit stairs for "priority boarding" not leaving much room for exiting riders. And how could I forget, the visual scan in which every op strains their neck looking left to right, and then... does it all over again. It all adds up to not a lot of capacity.

However, there are positives! The ride is amazing. The theming is decent. The employees were friendly. However, I do feel they are handicapped by Six Flags' policies and procedures.

Another plus, Medusa's line was only about 10 minutes long (this was around 2pm). The ride's 3 person crew was hauling ass, barely stacking trains at all.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby singemfrc » Sat May 28, 2016 9:59 pm

sfmman2000 wrote:It seems today (Saturday) they had a hard time dispatching trains consistently. But it's not as if the ops were working slow -- they weren't. I'd say the infrastructure and procedures are more to blame. Mobs of people with exit passes crowd the exit stairs for "priority boarding" not leaving much room for exiting riders.

Yeah the checking system seems to be a little different, I noticed the ops having a bit of difficulty communicating when they wanted to recheck a seat or row not able to hear themselves over the evil repeating music...they'll come up with a signal system and get that down soon no doubt.
I asked about the seemingly crazy high number of riders preboarding through the exit and was told that though a few were people coming back that were on the ride when it broke down earlier (I dont think you should get exit passes for that on a ride's first day, but that's just my opinion) most were ADA riders. I think there were a fair few that decided to just use the ADA line to skip the wait.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby thrilladdict » Sat May 28, 2016 10:35 pm

Wait, so can someone confirm that SFDK's Riddler uses the same song 'Ecuador' as SFMM's please?

No joke that's actually the song that got me into electronic music, or EDM as call it these days.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!