Let's be honest here... Big Bad Wolf wasn't THAT amazing...

Someone needs to say it...
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Let's be honest here... Big Bad Wolf wasn't THAT amazing...

Postby robbalvey » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:48 pm

Synshine wrote:Killing an arguably great coaster and just adding a drop ride nearly 2 yrs after the fact is probably what stings about BGW decisions the most. I am glad I was able to ride BBW one last time in 2009, but I'm convinced what ever comes to replace it has to be spectacular in order to redeem themselves of the act in my eyes ( enough to make me want to drive the 5 hrs down there again just for a weekend at the park.)

PayneTrain wrote:A year without the Big Bad Wolf. The park feels so dead now.

Why is it that we never heard about people driving 5 hours just for Big Bad Wolf BEFORE it was closed? How is the park "so dead" now when it has three very highly rated B&Ms?!?! (Apollo #16, Griffon #27, Alpengeist#54) Seriously...it was a "good" ride and all, but prior to it's announced closing, I'm not sure I ever once heard someone say that ride would have been a dealbreaker for going to that park.

Yes, it's a bummer that the park lost a major 42" in ride. And it's a bummer that we lost another Arrow suspended. That is the *only* thing I can really agree with that is really a bummer about losing BBW.

Even in it's final year it only just barely cracked the top 100 best steel coasters, and that was only because of it's final year. The year before that it was #111, and the year before that it was #104. Great Bear at Hersheypark is actually ranked higher than Big Bad Wolf so am I to assume that if Hershey announced that ride would be leaving that all of a sudden there would be people who would refuse to go to Hersheypark because Great Bear is gone?

So don't cry me a river when a "not-even-top-100-coaster" gets the axe. Eagle's Fortress was at least ranked #2 in the world, and no one really seemed to notice.

--Robb "I liked Big Bad Wolf, don't get me wrong...but I didn't even miss it during my visit to BGW this year..." Alvey
Last edited by robbalvey on Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:12 pm.

Site Admin

Re: Let's be honest here... Big Bad Wolf wasn't THAT amazing

Postby robbalvey » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:55 pm

I decided to split this off from the "biggest disappointments" thread because I just felt it needed it's own discussion.

Look, I can see why a lot of the locals would be bummed out. I'd feel the same way about Ninja here at Six Flags Magic Mountain. But let's be honest here, much like Ninja, the ride wasn't THAT amazing! If it wasn't it would have been ranked much, MUCH higher.

I'm not saying it's not a bummer that the ride is gone. It is. Given that there aren't many of them left, and especially for those people who have personal memories around it. But I do think people are making a bigger deal out of something that clearly they only found to be "amazing" after the fact.

If that wasn't the case, why didn't people rank the ride higher in the polls?

Discuss...

--Robb
Last edited by robbalvey on Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:18 pm.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:04 pm

I rode it once back in 2004, and I honestly remember barely anything from that ride. I vaguely remember passing by some village houses, and the drop over the water, but that's about it. Mustn't have been that great.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby let1gre » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:08 pm

So maybe I get a free pass for being a local? It was my absolute first coaster, so I have that attachment to it. But I didn't think it was Jesusride, because I really don't remember that much of it at all. So here comes the elephant in the room: a lot of people didn't think it was great because it was an incredible ride, but because of their personal history and memories around it.

Maybe that's just the way I see it.
ローラーコースター.

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:11 pm

Never impressed me either. I always found it slow, and kind of "meh", and I always thought Ninja blew it away. And of course, Eagles Fortress, though to be fair EF blew away pretty much every other coaster on the planet.

I was at BGW three times this year, and didn't miss it. I'm very interested to see what they'll be adding to that area.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

Hard Rock hyyyper

Postby hyyyper » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:13 pm

I rode it 'way back' in 2008, it was my first arrow suspended. It was definately a fun ride. Swinging through canyons and the final drop down onto the rivers was really cool. But is ride is not fast enough to be considered top class, and the fact that it dies halfway through doesn't help it either.

As far as BGE's concerned. I would make a 5hrs trip to ride Alpengeist and Griffon alone, regards of the other rides.

Bas 'I'm more of a B&M-guy' Houben

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alpengeist04 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:14 pm

I have to agree. BBW was a fun ride and will be missed, but it was never a great ride.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby MagnumUnlimited » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:15 pm

It was a really fun ride. I think it was great for an Arrow. Now compared to some of the newer Intamin and B&M's it may be trash, but really it wasn't that bad. It might not be the fastest or the tallest, but being built in 1984 or somewhere around there it's pretty good.
Last edited by MagnumUnlimited on Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:22 pm.

Jo My Oh!

Postby Jerrykoala2112 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:19 pm

I went from Chicago to Busch Gardens Europe in 2009. Big Bad Wolf itself was TOTALLY worth it! I have never seen such intense swaying on a suspended coaster, and the layout was truly unique! The speed past the buildings was very intense and there was no slowing down or chugging of the chain until the 2nd lift hill and the ending brakes.

And the day I was there, the line got up to 2 hours with 3 train operations while everything else was a walk on. Yeah, I do think it was amazing, and so did everyone else!

What was Jer's last adventure? Drayton Manor - 2012
Check out my SFGAm Music Video - Here

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:21 pm

Jerrykoala2112 wrote:Yeah, I do think it was amazing, and so did everyone else!

IN IT'S FINAL YEAR!!!

Where were all those people from like 1996 to 2008? I think I probably visited the park about 25 times between those years and I don't think I ever waited more than about 15 minutes for Big Bad Wolf. And usually, it was a walk-on.

If they thought it was so great, why did they wait to come visit until it was about to go away?

--Robb
Last edited by robbalvey on Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:22 pm.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!