Rocky Springs Photos- Lancaster, PA

Photos from the defunct amusement park, May 2009.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Rocky Springs Photos- Lancaster, PA

Postby Magnum PA » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:37 pm

The recent photo tour of the old Lincoln Park reminded me that I had these pictures on my computer from the summer before last. We gave ourselves a tour of the property (no breaking and entering - it was open). Rocky Springs Park is now a bed and breakfast. Many of the old park's buildings are in tact, including the gorgeous carousel building. Enjoy!
From River.jpg
This is the view looking up at the park and carousel house from the bank of the Conestoga River, where the original Lady Gay boat would drop guests off.
Inside Carousel 2.jpg
A peek inside the carousel house. Massive.
Inside Carousel.jpg
A look at the ceiling of the carousel house. Looks like work has been done. Rumor had it, a few years back, that the original carousel was heading back this way to return home. It never happened.
Popcorn.jpg
Old snack stand, which now has a timeline history of the park posted inside.
Rest Rooms.jpg
Old, weathered restrooms. Spooky.
Ladies.jpg
I never noticed the word 'Dies' in 'Ladies' until I saw this sign in this eerie context... Still, this is just a small example of the intricacies of an old amusement park. Even the bathrooms had stone-carved signs.
Penny Land.jpg
Old arcade/games building. I love the old-school name.
Ticket Booth.jpg
Old ticket booth. 15 cent rides? Yes please. The star of the show is sitting to the right of the booth...
Wildcat.jpg
The train from Rocky Springs 1928 Wildcat. They don't make them like that anymore. It's on display under a pavilion as you enter the property, near where the coaster stood until the early 90's.
Upstop.jpg
Wildcat's wheel assembly. A little TLC and this thing could still ride... Doubt it, but it's a nice thought.
RS Brouchure - Small.jpg
An old brochure I found somewhere online that I saved years ago.
Last edited by robbalvey on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:46 pm.
This is where I brag about how many roller coasters I've ridden because it shows how much I know about them.
This is where I list the number of steel coasters I've ridden, which is inflated with kiddie coasters, so that my count looks higher.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: Rocky Springs Photos- Lancaster, PA

Postby Ccron10 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:43 pm

Cool! I bowled at Rocky Springs Lanes a few years ago for a high school tournament and I didn't know at the time I was at part of the old park. Some of the land has been turned into a housing development, but it's good to see that there's more still there than what I expected. I think I might consider stopping by there sometime.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:24 am

I love TRs like this, although I must admit they make me sad. The train photos were especially heart-wrenching.
I definitely wouldn't miss a chance to explore this kind of place, myself! Thanks for sharing!
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby Dailey Enterprizes » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:46 am

This is probably what Conneaut Lake would look like if it decided never to open again. Very sad pictures, but it appears to be in good shape in spite of it being out of commission for so long. I love those old PTCs, they remind me of the old Racer trains that used to be at Kennywood. It'd be awesome if they could rock those trains out because the newer PTCs they have on it now suck...

I make cake

Postby Brandy524 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:53 pm

Love to see pictures of old places like this! That train is awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby Magnum PA » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:40 pm

There's definitely a mix of feelings as you walk around a place like this. You feel a bit of happiness, sadness, eeriness, and coolness because it is really neat to see how things once were.

My wife and I actually had our wedding reception there a few years back. People were free to walk the grounds. We even have a picture with the Wildcat train, with me in my tux and my wife in her wedding gown. Had the train not been so dirty, we would have sat in the train for a picture. Looking back on it, I wish we had. It would have been a cool picture, and clothes can be cleaned.

Oh, and I found one more picture from our wedding photos.
Carousel 3.jpg
Looking down toward the river past the carousel house. The place can be gorgeous.
Last edited by Magnum PA on Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:34 pm.
This is where I brag about how many roller coasters I've ridden because it shows how much I know about them.
This is where I list the number of steel coasters I've ridden, which is inflated with kiddie coasters, so that my count looks higher.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby saginawhxc » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:47 am

Love this kind of stuff. Thanks for posting this.

Reeks of Books

Postby CorkscrewFoley » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:51 am

The inside of the carousel house reminds me of the movie Carnival of Souls.

Postby imawesome1124 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:00 am

I love these kinds of TR's. It is cool to try and picture what the parks were like when they were open, but it is sad to think of all the families that had great times in these parks, and to see them in this state makes me sad.

Postby Sir Clinksalot » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:41 pm

I love stuff like this. Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!