Switch to full style
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Post a reply

Re: The Great Escape (TGE) Discussion Thread

Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:55 pm

I can't help but comment.As you can tell by my screen name,the Great Escape is my home park and the Comet my all-time favorite coaster.Being older now (61) ,I don't go as often.I did go back on Father's Day and took 2 consecutive rides with my daughter in the rain and the air-time was great as always.Regarding the Bobsled, I always ride when I can and it's a fun,smooth ride.Up until about 6 years ago it was open on a more regular basis
Most of you are probably too young to remember, but the most difficult credit was Nightmare at Crack Axle Canyon.an indoor coaster that use to be up in Ghost Town.It had like 3 trains that held 4 people each so capacity was horrible.It was open from 1999 to 2004 and I might have got 6 rides

Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:17 pm

^ When I rode Nightmare in 2000, I thought the capacity had been halved. They only allowed 2 riders per car. That line was the 7th circle of hell.

I don't remember liking the ride much, but that was probably because 7 year old me was stunned it took 1.5-2 hours for 100 people to ride.

Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:20 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:^ When I rode Nightmare in 2000, I thought the capacity had been halved. They only allowed 2 riders per car. That line was the 7th circle of hell.

I don't remember liking the ride much, but that was probably because 7 year old me was stunned it took 1.5-2 hours for 100 people to ride.

I remember trying to ride it but it broke while we were in line and they removed it the year after so sadly I never got the credit.

Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:43 pm

Opening day of Nightmare @ Darien Lake.... 6 hours. Yeesh. As a kid I thought the ride was meh but looking back it was a pretty cool ride. The line though, always... Yeesh.

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:08 pm

The building at DL you can still see the original "rockwork" for the ride haha.

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:53 pm

anonymouscactus wrote:Opening day of Nightmare @ Darien Lake.... 6 hours. Yeesh. As a kid I thought the ride was meh but looking back it was a pretty cool ride. The line though, always... Yeesh.

I think they tried return times towards the end of the ride's life.

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:38 am

Has bobsled been running reliably recently? I’m headed to the park on Saturday and hoping to get the credit.

Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:00 am

^ Usually I'd say to look at QueueTimes, but I don't trust the data there.

As of June, the park was listing the Bobsled as closed everyday by default. When I just checked, it looks like they've gone to the other extreme since the Bobsled has been listed with 100% uptime over the past week. I know that's impossible since the ride has to close everyday at 6 pm.

I can say it was running on a beautiful sunny day at the end of June from personal experience.

Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:43 am

Last July when we visited, it was closed. A park employee told us that it had only been open a few days since the park opened.

Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:17 am

When I went it was open, had a problem that needed maintenance come, but I didn't leave the line.
Post a reply
MY LATEST VIDEOS