Alton Towers Discussion Thread

P. 580: Gangsta Granny: The Ride to debut in Spring 2020
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Alton Towers Discussion Thread

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:03 am

Glad to see this park get another dark ride.

Also Sandy's Blasting Bronco may have been topped for the best ride name of 2020. :lol:
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Outlaw Run
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Six Flags Great Adventure & Waldameer

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby Dar » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:50 am

A member called TYX on TowersStreet has taken a screenshot from a promo video that showed the layout for a second, and labelled the different sections.

It's not great, it's going in the old Wobble World building so they're limited in space and Merlin are not focusing on the theme parks at all right now, so the budget is basically zero too! As with everything these days I'm pessimistic but open to pleasant surprises

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby super7 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:45 pm

Ugh. More cheap video based attractions. One can stay home a watch videos.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby rachelmadcow » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:41 pm

AT is so odd. They should keep the tv film based attractions at Thorpe.

Blurring lines when the parks are so close. AT wants to be a flagship so they need a ground up ride like Efteling

Postby coasterbill » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:41 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the availability of Uber to and from the park from Stoke-on-Trent? We're planning a trip and were initially planning to stay at the park but they close at 4:00 on Saturdays in late May for some reason so we'll probably just go back to London that same night.

God those hours are brutal...
Last edited by coasterbill on Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:44 pm.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:51 pm

I was able to find an Uber from the Stoke-on-Trent train station to Alton Towers. There weren't many Ubers available, but there were plenty of taxis.

To get back to Stoke-on-Trent, I recommend reserving a taxi in advance. There may not be any by Alton Towers. I stayed onsite at Alton Towers and the hotel booked a taxi for me that was waiting for me a half hour after park closing.
Last edited by Canobie Coaster on Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:29 pm.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Outlaw Run
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Six Flags Great Adventure & Waldameer

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby southpuddle » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:29 pm

I didn’t have any luck with Ubers in the area when I went last year - I ended up calling for a taxi to pick me up at the train station in Uttoxeter. There were also several taxis just waiting at the entrance when the park closed at 4:00.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby JG-77 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:11 pm

There's also a bus that connects AT with some nearby train stations. Might be worth looking into to get to the park, but it's not timed super well for leaving the park after 4.
https://www.dgbus.co.uk/assets/x41_2019-10-05.pdf
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby KarlaKoaster » Thu May 28, 2020 12:29 pm

Alton Towers have announced the new measures they're putting in place in order to reopen the park. All pretty predictable stuff apart from the fact masks are encouraged (not required), staff checking restraints will be in full PPE, and that riders will be grouped by household.

The absolute earliest they will be able to open is 4th July which is when the government here have said the hospitality industry might be able to reopen dependent on the infection rate, number of new cases, hospital admissions etc.

- Advanced booking is required for all guests, capacity will be reduced
- Temperature checks will be taken at the entrance and for staff
- Masks will be encouraged but are not required
- Markings in queues, toilets and communal areas to encourage social distancing
- Extra hand sanitisers around the resort, particularly around ride entrances/exits
- Frequent cleaning of high-contact areas
- Employees will wear full PPE (presumably face shields etc) to check restraints
- Riders will be batched as household groups with gaps in between each row

On the last point, in the UK, only people in the same household can be within 2m of each other. This means if a group of friends visit together, you will have to remain 2m apart from each other, and also not be able to ride together. This hasn't really occurred to me until now. I've not actually seen my friends for 3 months now so I hadn't even considered this.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby KarlaKoaster » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:04 pm

The government in the UK have announced today that theme parks will be able to open from 4th of July, so Alton Towers (along with all Merlin parks, Blackpool and Paultons etc) will be reopening.

In addition to my previous post masks will be required on most major rides/coasters within the park.

I'm not in a rush to visit but probably will at some point as I have a season pass.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!