Alton Towers Discussion Thread

P. 576: The Alton Towers Dungeon teased for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!
User avatar
 
Posts: 100
Joined: 09 Jun 2008
Location: London
Gender: Male
Age: 35

Re: Alton Towers Discussion Thread

Postby Baffles » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:58 am

Just sharing a Wicker Man front and back POV that we shot at the weekend with permission from the park.

It's no Mystic Timbers but can hold its own. :)


Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?
User avatar
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: 07 Jan 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Gender: Male
Age: 26

Re: Alton Towers Discussion Thread

Postby RCT3Bross » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:41 pm

So I had my first experience with Alton Towers a week ago. I really wanted to review the park because it impressed me, 4 hours in and only seen half the park it made me want to visit it again.

The rides I came for where the roller coasters though and not all did impress me. (These are in no order):
Runaway Mine Train: Was what I expected of it a little under-themed.
Spinball Whizzer: Fun little ride.
Rita: I rode Desert Race pretty much the same just the ending on Desert Race is better.
So those where the coasters that kinda fel in line with expectations. The Secret Weapons, which I looked forward to the most, surprised me all, not all in the good way though:
Oblivion: The first Dive coaster so expectations where very low on this one but that speed in that tunnel put a smile on my face. I wished we could hung a little longer though it almost felt like we went straight in.
Galactica: For years I wanted to do a Flying coaster, that position your in hanging from your stomach just looked weird and I wanted to try that. I didn't like how the park handled the operations on this ride both stations open and one train per station caused a very slow traffic queue also keeping entire rows empty on a run didn't help neither did keeping half the train VR and the other half not, why not one station VR the other not? That said I did have a lot of fun on my first flying coaster it was a ride experience I couldn't prepare myself for.
Th13teen: I really felt like this ride was held back form being better, I refer here to the trim-brake on the first drop Instant ride killer if you ask me. It made it a family coaster with a "horror" theme that didn't feel right.
Smiler: This ride surprised me the most. I expected inversion after inversion to get boring, but the fact that you don't repeat one inversion for more then 2 times in a row really helped the ride stand out as one I was glad to ride. Also I loved the queue being under the ride, I love coaster interaction so that had me instantly.
Wicker Man: I loved the preshow but I hated that they needed to cram it so full. After the preshow you have a small queue for going to the train and that small line couldn't handle that many people what just hold everything up for the next group to arrive. Whit this being my fourth GCI I did expect some more friendly roughness to the ride, I love how the other 3 just toss me around making their ride feel wild but this one didn't deliver that aspect as much as I like it to do. That said I still think it's a solid ride.
Nemesis: I wanted to safe Nemesis for the last ride to review. Nemesis has a reputation of being one of the greatest coasters out there. I can't say I agree. I thought Nemesis was a solid ride but that's it. Right now it's in the top 10 steel coaster of my on spot 10 and it's not the only B&M inverted in the top 10, on spot 8 I have Black Mamba. Now the only thing I have to add to that is that I only rode it once early (around opening hours) So maybe I shouldn't judge to hard. My question is: is it a lot better after 1 P.M.? If so I promise the next chance I have I will ride it later on the day.

I did manage to ride a couple of other rides with Hex being a major stand-out. It really helped that it was part of the towers.
The park felt pretty big though sometimes without any real shortcuts so walking was part of the day. Also the gardens, although beautiful, was something we ended up regretting going through. I underestimated the amount of elevation difference the park really had, stairs so much stairs.
Overall I had a lot of fun this visit and look forward to a next one in the future.
Edit*: Made it easier to read.
Last edited by RCT3Bross on Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:38 am.
Roller Coaster Traveler 3 Bross Parks of 2018: Efteling, Phantasialand, Walibi Holland, Skyline park, Europa Park, Walibi Belgium, Toverland, Thorpe Park, Alton Towers, Blackpool Pleasure Beach
2018 Rides: Fenix (Toverland), Tiki Waka (Walibi Belgium), Wicker Man (Alton Towers), Icon (Blackpool Pleasure Beach).

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!
User avatar
 
Posts: 100
Joined: 09 Jun 2008
Location: London
Gender: Male
Age: 35

Re: Alton Towers Discussion Thread

Postby Baffles » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:02 pm

With Merlin's cut backs, operations have certainly been tighter which is a shame considering the park has historically always had efficient operations.

On Wicker Man, the trains were being starved of guests in the station as they had not got the pre show batching right, so are still in the middle of finding the balance.

Like most coasters, Nemesis does warm up throughout the day, but is generally a consistent ride wherever you sit.

You can cut down on the walking by using the Skyride, but appreciate it has been down a lot lately due to 'the heat'.. hmm.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!
User avatar
 
Posts: 2036
Joined: 21 Nov 2012
Location: Swedesboro, NJ
Gender: Male
Age: 33

Re: Alton Towers Discussion Thread

Postby michaellynn4 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:24 pm

Yep, the sky ride was down when we went last Thursday. Really wished it was open because I was suffering through a bruised foot at the time and was limping a lot.
Image
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?
User avatar
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: 07 Jan 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Gender: Male
Age: 26

Re: Alton Towers Discussion Thread

Postby RCT3Bross » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:09 am

Baffles wrote:With Merlin's cut backs, operations have certainly been tighter which is a shame considering the park has historically always had efficient operations.

On Wicker Man, the trains were being starved of guests in the station as they had not got the pre show batching right, so are still in the middle of finding the balance.

Like most coasters, Nemesis does warm up throughout the day, but is generally a consistent ride wherever you sit.

You can cut down on the walking by using the Skyride, but appreciate it has been down a lot lately due to 'the heat'.. hmm.

I figured that was the cut backs that caused the Galactica problem. It was such a shame because by then I had not felt it anywhere. Nemesis ran 2 trains, Smiler had constantly a train in the station, Oblivion at people and Th13teen had 3 trains. So a huge contrast came when riding Galactica. The only major drawback at that time was that some ride didn't open untill 11:00 like Galactica.

While I understant Wicker Man being new and there for the right balance has to be found, they should have seen after 2 3 groups that they could make the groups smaller with about 5 to 10 people and have it flow more. I'm sure they figure it out though.

So that was Nemisis. Like I said I think it's a solid ride but after riding it I didn't understand all the hype around the ride anymore.

We thought about taking the Skyride but each time we looked the ride was hanging on one spot. So we figured walking would be quicker. Thanks for the tip anyways.
Roller Coaster Traveler 3 Bross Parks of 2018: Efteling, Phantasialand, Walibi Holland, Skyline park, Europa Park, Walibi Belgium, Toverland, Thorpe Park, Alton Towers, Blackpool Pleasure Beach
2018 Rides: Fenix (Toverland), Tiki Waka (Walibi Belgium), Wicker Man (Alton Towers), Icon (Blackpool Pleasure Beach).

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 2894
Joined: 20 May 2015
Location: Belgium
Gender: Male
Age: 22

Re: Alton Towers Discussion Thread

Postby JordyC » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:16 am

RCT3Bross wrote:Nemesis: I wanted to safe Nemesis for the last ride to review. Nemesis has a reputation of being one of the greatest coasters out there. I can't say I agree. I thought Nemesis was a solid ride but that's it. Right now it's in the top 10 steel coaster of my on spot 10 and it's not the only B&M inverted in the top 10, on spot 8 I have Black Mamba. Now the only thing I have to add to that is that I only rode it once early (around opening hours) So maybe I shouldn't judge to hard. My question is: is it a lot better after 1 P.M.? If so I promise the next chance I have I will ride it later on the day.


After my first visit earlier this year, I have to say that I sort of share the same opinion with you. While Nemesis is a fantastic and a very intense ride, I don't think it is one of the best coasters out there. It isn't even the best coaster at Alton Towers, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, it is a very good ride, but just not as good as everyone says. Maybe this is an excellent example of an overhyped coaster??

Also, just like you, I prefer Black Mamba over Nemesis.
Quality Over Quantity

1. Hyperion - Energylandia 2. Wildfire - Kolmården 3. Shambhala - PortAventura 4. Taron - Phantasialand 5. Helix - Liseberg 6. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park 7. Lech Coaster - Legendia 8. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 9. Goliath - Walibi Holland 10. Silver Star - Europa-Park

Coasters: 232 || Parks: 44

Slagharen || Plopsa Coevorden || Waarbeek || Liseberg || Kolmården || Gröna Lund || Energylandia || Legendia || Toverland || Alton Towers || South Pier || Blackpool Pleasure Beach || Thorpe Park

Donkeys are my way of life!
User avatar
 
Posts: 525
Joined: 13 Dec 2014
Gender: None specified

Re: Alton Towers Discussion Thread

Postby ElvisLuv » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:19 am

Is Alton Towers open on Mondays in late May? Trying to decide on whether to go before or after London. If it is, I can fly into Dublin on Sun and have a long 9 hr layover before flying late to Manchester.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!
User avatar
 
Posts: 54
Joined: 14 Jan 2018
Location: United Kingdom
Gender: Male

Re: Alton Towers Discussion Thread

Postby AdventuresinAirtime » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:16 pm

JordyC wrote:
RCT3Bross wrote:Nemesis: I wanted to safe Nemesis for the last ride to review. Nemesis has a reputation of being one of the greatest coasters out there. I can't say I agree. I thought Nemesis was a solid ride but that's it. Right now it's in the top 10 steel coaster of my on spot 10 and it's not the only B&M inverted in the top 10, on spot 8 I have Black Mamba. Now the only thing I have to add to that is that I only rode it once early (around opening hours) So maybe I shouldn't judge to hard. My question is: is it a lot better after 1 P.M.? If so I promise the next chance I have I will ride it later on the day.


After my first visit earlier this year, I have to say that I sort of share the same opinion with you. While Nemesis is a fantastic and a very intense ride, I don't think it is one of the best coasters out there. It isn't even the best coaster at Alton Towers, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, it is a very good ride, but just not as good as everyone says. Maybe this is an excellent example of an overhyped coaster??

Also, just like you, I prefer Black Mamba over Nemesis.


I think it's a great ride but nowhere near #1 anything really.
The fact it's literally cut into the rock makes it pretty cool for me, it's pretty unique due to that by itself!
Adventures in Airtime Theme Park Podcast:
www.adventuresinairtime.com

Adventures in Airtime on YouTube:

Donkeys are my way of life!
User avatar
 
Posts: 547
Joined: 13 Jul 2014
Location: Orlando, FL
Gender: Male

Re: Alton Towers Discussion Thread

Postby BlahBlahson » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:26 am

Oooooh I love the opportunity to pile on to the group by adding that The Smiler is far and away the best coaster at Alton, and Nemesis is way overhyped. It has its intense moments, but its really short. Batman is a Superior attraction, as is Black Mamba. And almost all of the bigger inverts.

But all Inverts are fudging great! It's the best multi-looper product line out there IMO.
Remember: Get out there and RIDE!

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.
User avatar
 
Posts: 693
Joined: 27 May 2013
Gender: Female

Re: Alton Towers Discussion Thread

Postby KarlaKoaster » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:38 pm

If you want to experience the disappointment of reduced operating hours, mothballed rides, closed quick-service restaurants and staff cutbacks, then you can now stay in a star gazing shed for just £88-123 a night. It includes breakfast in a bag.
40790530_2111908152212951_4129048272654303232_n.jpg
Photo: TowersStreet
40797674_2111908292212937_2121722910899961856_n.jpg
Photo: TowersStreet
40848419_2111908722212894_3703453190130237440_n.jpg
Photo: TowersStreet

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest

These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment,
Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.

All onride photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by a professional ride photographer.
For yours  and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at parks without proper permission.

Disclaimer!  You need a sense of humor to view our site, 
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER!
There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13."
Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.

cron