Alton Towers Discussion Thread

P. 576: The Alton Towers Dungeon teased for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby Dobba » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:46 am

piers wrote:The park map should look very different this year though!

Definitely with the Spinball retheme now confirmed on top of the expected Rita/Ug Land retheme and of course the addition of Thirteen there will be alot of "New" badges on the 2010 park map.

2 other bits of news Alton Towers wise.

First the logo on the official website has changed to a 30 year anniversary one. Even though the site has been used as an attraction since the 1800's it is considered by the majority that the park got it's "themepark" status with the opening of Corkscrew in 1980.

Secondly (again from the official site) Extraordinary Golf, the parks miniature golf course, is to be closed between Monday 11th and Friday 15th of January "for essential works to make the experience even more extraordinary". Whether this means just routine maintenance or the retheming of the few now outdated holes I guess we'll have to see.

TPR's Hairstylist to the Stars!

Postby piers » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:50 am

I forgot about that silly golf course, I think you are probably correct about it also being re-themed. I still find it odd that it is way out of the park...

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:10 am

Manny In England wrote:Worst idea

It could be worse! They could have pulled a Cedar Fair and named it "Spinning Coaster".

I like Sonic, it's a cute idea for a theme; especially for that type of ride.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby Dobba » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:38 pm

piers wrote:I forgot about that silly golf course, I think you are probably correct about it also being re-themed. I still find it odd that it is way out of the park...

I think it's in quite a good location personally. If they had put it in the park and added the extra charge next to nobody would use it simply due to the upcharge. It also gives the hotel guests something else to do and with Alton trying to brand themselves a resort rather than a themepark with 2 hotels it makes sense to place it right next to the hotels.

I'm a big fan of the golf course and if they do go down the route of retheming the holes next week it'll make it even better in my opinion. Would also like to see a Spinball hole especially with the Sonic retheme now confirmed.
Manny In England wrote:Worst idea

That's definitely still them putting the ride where they did in the first place. Terrible location.

TPR's Hairstylist to the Stars!

Postby piers » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:46 pm

Dobba wrote:I think it's in quite a good location personally. If they had put it in the park and added the extra charge next to nobody would use it simply due to the upcharge. It also gives the hotel guests something else to do and with Alton trying to brand themselves a resort rather than a themepark with 2 hotels it makes sense to place it right next to the hotels.

I definately agree its a good thing for hotel guests, I just think for day visitors, upon arrival you're excited to get into the park, not golf, then when leaving you're too tired for golf. I have nothing against it though, its a cool looking, if not slightly lacking course.

Anyway, Th13teen!

(I had to edit my post many times to spell that stupid coasters name right...)

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Manny In England » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:07 pm

I did speak too soon, "worst idea" was removing the Black Hole, but that's a fight for another day.

I just don't know if Sonic suits it very well. Seeing Saw and everything at Thorpe, I know that Merlin is willing to go all out on theming when they want to.
Don't tell me that the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon.

"Deal with it f**filled with medicine and goo." - Robb addressing a technical complaint.

Wisconsin Dells Fanatic

Postby traincrossin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:56 pm

I like Sonic and think that it's very fitting for a spinning coaster. I think ir might bring a couple more people over to that area of the park. Hopefully this may be a sign that they will add more theming sometime in the future. I also hope that they will play some retro Sonic music in the line while waiting! Maybe some small interactive games?
13 - Gatekeeper
14 - Millennium Force

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby cmpunk771 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:02 pm

With Th13teen i think that no doubt will it be best themed ride in the country, Looking at the photos so far we are going to have a amazingly themed ride but will the actual ride be any good?

Anyone got any guesses on the worlds first element, i have a feeling its something going to happen on the cars?

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby stuartnz » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:16 pm

I'm in love with Sonic the Hedgehog. =) Awesome!

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Steelinwood » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:20 pm

piers wrote:I definately agree its a good thing for hotel guests, I just think for day visitors, upon arrival you're excited to get into the park, not golf, then when leaving you're too tired for golf. I have nothing against it though, its a cool looking, if not slightly lacking course.

That makes a lot of sense, who goes to a big theme park to play mini-golf? It could be cool if you don't like rides or have small children but I just never see anyone playing golf at parks when they have a mini golf course.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!