Gröna Lund Discussion Thread

P. 75: Plans filed for a B&M in 2020
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: New coaster for Gröna Lund!!

Postby ginzo » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:06 pm

Loefet wrote:"It feels really great that we now have six roller coasters, 50% more than Liseberg" :D

I love the rivalry between Liseberg and Gröna Lund. It can only benefit roller coaster dorks when two of the best parks in the world try to outdo each other.
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

Books are dumb

Postby Loefet » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:38 pm

Liseberg had loads of advertisement in Stockholm on the tram stations on the way to Gröna Lund last year.
They said something like "If you want to experience a real roller coaster come to Liseberg" :D
The last time there were a great "Coaster War" in Sweden was in the late 80's when Lisebergbanan, Jet-Line and Stand Up were built, I really hope that something similar will take place in the upcoming 5 years, especially with both Liseberg and Gröna Lund have big expansion projects in the works and with the "new" owners of Skara Sommarland then you never know what they will add to the mix.

The rivalry between Liseberg and Gröna Lund have it' roots in the rivalry that always have been between Gothenburg and Stockholm, just ask anyone in Gothenburg what they think about Stockholm or vice versa...

Jo My Oh!

Postby Jerrykoala2112 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:17 pm

When I saw the title of the thread, I thought the new ride would be that B&M Invert that was rumored to be built. But this kiddie coaster is great too. When I went in 2003, they didn't have many kid rides (Things could be different now.) Can't wait to visit in the upcoming years :b

P.S. Liseberg and Grona Lund are great parks, I think it's fun they are competing! Brings out the best in each other!

What was Jer's last adventure? Drayton Manor - 2012
Check out my SFGAm Music Video - Here

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Anac0nda » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:27 am

Sorta offtopic, but still hilarious:

Linnanmäki has a kiddie train ride that gently goes around the big round building in the centre of the park. This ride is called in finnish Muksupuksu, BUT the swedish version of the park map says it's called Tuff-Tuff Tåget!

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Steelinwood » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:23 pm

Is the coaster powered? It looks like it has NO hills what so ever in the renders. I'm sure it'll be a fun ride for kids though!
STUCK IN NH

I eat bugs.

Postby deathbydinn » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:37 pm

^ If it is a Fiesta Express it uses tires to get up the hill. It does have drops but they are very small.

Add me on Simpsons Tapped Out - jongrundl

Spills and Fails, daily.

Postby themeparkologist » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:07 pm

^But it does have a booster set of tires at midpoint. In the pic, it's on the right, halfway up. So semi-powered...sort of :pillow:
Some people are like slinkies. They aren't really good for much but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby LcHg5265 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:18 am

themeparkologist wrote:^But it does have a booster set of tires at midpoint. In the pic, it's on the right, halfway up. So semi-powered...sort of :pillow:

No no, you have it all wrong. That is the launch, like on The Incredible Hulk!

I Love Donkeys!

Re: Future expansion plans for Gröna Lund

Postby apanbl92 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:13 pm

new picture of the proposed star flyer @ Grona Lund :)

supposed to be tha tallest in the world(sorry for the picture being so small ;) )
gronalund.jpg

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Gröna Lund Discussion Thread

Postby Olov » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:08 am

So I was thinking of creating a thread to have all the news about old and future rides and expansion and other Gröna Lund related topics.

So first news, one of Gröna Lund's classic rides, the ghost train named Blå Tåget (The Blue Train) will close down on 9th of august. The ride will re-open in 2011 with the old name but with a total new building and ride. Featuring a new ride system capable of 4 riders/cart doubling capacity and running on a coaster track it'll be possible to lean the carts for added effects. The ghost train will feature new scare stunts designed by Gröna Lund's artists and engineers together with international professionals.

There will also be another ride premiere next year but the official press release isn't until 9th of august. However Peter Osbeck, the park's head engineer promises it's one of the most exciting projects he has been working on. Consider he has been involved with the Insane and the Fritt Fall in the past it sounds promising

Official press release (Swedish): http://www.gronalund.com/Global/Pressreleaser/Ny%20skr%c3%a4cktur%20p%c3%a5%20Gr%c3%b6nan%202011.pdf?epslanguage=sv
Ride manufacturer: http://www.gosetto.com

Blå_Tåget_2011.jpg
Blå Tåget, the new ghost train for 2011

Future expansion plans:
So the park is looking for a new area to expand the park on and has for several years had it's eye on the parking lot next to the park. The area will feature at least two major rides. One inverted roller coaster (presumably B&M) and a 90+ m high Starflyer.
The plans for the expansion has been approved in the first stages so far and is currently being worked on to finalize details. Of course the project has met complaints from the neighbors complaining about sound levels and restricted views over the water area. The park is working on reducing noise levels by adding tunnels, walls and with sand-filled track. However the city of Stockholm is a supporter of the project. If everything goes well it'll open in time for 2013 or 2014 season.

9c9c6e10-1f3e-4317-b5a4-4017948bb757.jpg
Artist rendering of the expanded area

montage-kastellholmen.jpg
The view across the pond

överblick1.jpg
Overview

överblick2.jpg
Another overview showing most of the inverted coaster layout

starflyer_142.jpg
The Starflyer which Whingård won an architecture competition to design the look of the tower

Expansion layout.jpg
Layout

Swedish PDF from the city planning office: http://planer.sbk.stockholm.se/SBKPlanTemplates/DocumentDownload.aspx?FileId=1386010&FileName=Gestaltningsprogram.PDF&DataSource=2

Gröna Lund TPR Park Index page: http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/page.php?pageid=315

Gröna Lund from above: http://www.gronalund.com/sv/Infor-besoket/panoramabild/

ADMIN EDIT: I have gone ahead and made a few modifications to this thread to convert it into the Gröna Lund Discussion Thread. Feel free to add any news to this thread you have, and this will be the place where anything regarding the park can be discussed.
Last edited by larrygator on Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:26 pm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!