TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What park should have an Intamin Mega-Lite?

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knoebels is a traditional, old-school park. Intamin kicks a ton of ass, but a Mega-Lite wouldn't fit at Knoebels. Maybe Cedar Point because, well, CP just has a buttload of Intamins. Seriously, the last 4 coasters and STR are all made by Intamin.

A mega lite, according to RCDB, is 15,000,000$, so it is not the "budget option" you might imagine. IMO, almost any american park is gonna see that figure as rediculous, when they could get a large scale B&M for that price or not much more.

Knoebels is a traditional, old-school park. Intamin kicks a ton of A$$, but a Mega-Lite wouldn't fit at Knoebels. Maybe Cedar Point because, well, CP just has a buttload of Intamins. Seriously, the last 4 coasters and STR are all made by Intamin.

Have you seen what Expedition GeForce looks like? A megalite would look BEAUTIFUL weaving in and out of the trees at Knoebels.

A mega lite, according to RCDB, is 15,000,000$, so it is not the "budget option" you might imagine. IMO, almost any american park is gonna see that figure as rediculous, when they could get a large scale B&M for that price or not much more.

They might be a little expensive, but they're pretty compact which is key for a lot of parks these days. All you have to do is fix the capacity issue and they're perfect coasters for any park...

I agree, all parks should have a mega-lite and if they already have one, then they should have duelling megalites.

Megalites are awesome coasters but I think they lack the wow factor of their 200+ foot cousins from a marketing perspective, and they aren't significantly much cheaper than a full size hyper (they're not like half the cost of a 200 footer for instance), so I would be surprised to see a North American installations but I would be very pleased if anyone did.

If Knoebels got a megalite, my future coaster trips would involve only going to Knoebels.

Edited by downunder

I mean coming a biased standpoint I'd love to see one at Kennywood. Do I think I'll see one at Kennywood? Never. CP may seem like an obvious choice but I doubt we'll ever see one there either. Face it. Asians and Europeans get all the good stuff.

Cedar Point does not need one... They already have several coasters that would fit that type of ride very well, like Maverick. My choice for a Mega-Lite would be Holiday World. They are like the perfect market for this type of ride. They are a moderate park in size, but they don't need the crazy capacity a park like Cedar Point is looking for. Plus, they have worked with Intamin in the past and don't have any substantial steel coasters. Another park, for many of the same reasons, would be Mt. Olympus in the Dells.

Of the Cedar Fair parks, I could see a few getting one. Michigan's Adventure, Dorney Park, Knotts Berry Farm and Worlds of Fun fit the market pretty well in my mind.

While I would like to see Holiday World get one, I just don't see it happening. I'd like to be proven wrong, but I doubt I will. If any U.S. park builds one, the most likely candidate I think is Lagoon. Most U.S. parks don't seem like they need or could support one, while parks in Asia and Europe can.

Of the Cedar Fair parks, I could see a few getting one. Michigan's Adventure, Dorney Park, Knotts Berry Farm and Worlds of Fun fit the market pretty well in my mind.

I really think one would fit well at Knott's except for the fact that they don't have that great of capacity. It's probably better than a shuttle coaster, but I have a feeling Xcelerator has better capacity than a mega-lite and it would probably draw people away since it is twice the size.

Realistically, I think the first mega-lite in the United States will end up going to a minor park that has room for it. I wouldn't be surprised to see the first one appear at a park similar to Alabama Adventure, but you never know what might end up happening. I can say, however, that due to the capacity issue I will be very surprised if a Six Flags or Cedar Fair park gets one.

Knoebels is a traditional, old-school park. Intamin kicks a ton of A$$, but a Mega-Lite wouldn't fit at Knoebels. Maybe Cedar Point because, well, CP just has a buttload of Intamins. Seriously, the last 4 coasters and STR are all made by Intamin.

Have you seen what Expedition GeForce looks like? A megalite would look BEAUTIFUL weaving in and out of the trees at Knoebels.

Getting a Mega-Lite would be too easy. Who needs a coaster that only needs over-the-offseason construction when you can have a coaster that requires over-the-decade construction?!

Real talk though, yeah, that would be amazing, but unfortunately lack of money and space makes it a pipe dream at best.

Here's a better question. Will Intamin make a unique mega-lite layout or will they all be the same?

They have! It's called Intimidator 305.

I guess that might be a giga-lite?

Edited by robbalvey

The Mega Millions jackpot is $224 million. If I win, I'm building a mega-millions-mega-lite and we can all have ERT.

Kawasemi is the only mega-lite I've been on. I had huge expectations before riding it, but even so I would say it was way better than I was expecting. Mega-lites rock! Every park that can afford large coasters needs an Intamin Mega-Lite and at least one of: B&M inverted, B&M floorless, or B&M hyper.

My vote for the first US park to get a mega-lite: Knott's. Preferably a custom layout like GeForce.