NEWS: Guest sues Universal Studios Florida for a scare

Horror Nights caused mental anguish only $15,000 could cure
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Delicious & Refreshing

NEWS: Guest sues Universal Studios Florida for a scare

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:30 am

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_212296325.shtml

A Florida woman is suing Universal Studios because their haunted house was "too scary" and caused her emotional distress.

Cleanthi Peters, 57, brought her 10-year-old granddaughter to Universal's annual Halloween Horror Nights back in 1998. According to Peters, she and her granddaughter were approaching the exit of the theme park's haunted house when an employee with a chainsaw -- minus the chain -- leaped out and pretended to attack them.

Peters and granddaughter fled toward the exit with the frightening Leatherface clone giving chase. The terrified duo then, allegedly, slipped on a wet spot on the floor and went down for the count. After they fell, the lawsuit says, the employee continued his attack, crouching over them and thrusting his chainsaw in a menacing manner. According to Peters' lawsuit, the ordeal inflicted "extreme fear, distress and mental anguish" -- the kind of mental anguish that only $15,000 in cash will alleviate.

Universal Studios has not yet responded to Peters' lawsuit.

NOTE: THIS ARTICLE IS 10 YEARS OLD. THE ARTICLE WAS WRITTEN IN 2000. THIS ISN'T RECENT NEWS.
Last edited by Wes on Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:37 pm.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Re: NEWS: Guest sues Universal Studios Florida for a scare

Postby kidcoaster 2 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:39 am

Oh wow this happened in 1998? What is it with people just now bring up cases about things that happened 10 years ago? Disney is now going through the same thing with Tower of Terror from an incident in 1998 aswell.

Like Disney I hope Universal keeps a still back on this other wise people will see this and start walking all over them. And the judge and who ever else involved with this case, I hope will use common sense.

I like how they describe it as "Too Scary" I mean common people what do you expect when you go to a clearly marked halloween event. If you want a happy jolly experience than you should have just stayed at Magic Kingdom

FIRE HAIRED BOY

Postby krazekiddd » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:30 am

Really? Almost 12 years ago? Isn't there some sort of Statute of Limitations on this?

2007 TPR MidWest Tour | 2008 TPR East Coast Tour |2009 TPR West Coast Tour | 2010 TPR USA Trips | 2011 TPR Tokyo | 2012 Europe Trip

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:39 am

They should just be happy that they got a good scare at HHN back when it was really amazing!!! ;)

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby dragsterfan420 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:43 am

^lol. That just made my day.

Seriously, this is really stupid. You go to a Halloween event to get scared then sue because you get too scared? That's like suing BK for getting an extra Whopper.
Top Wood: The Beast
Top Steel: Millennium Force

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:58 am

SharkTums wrote:They should just be happy that they got a good scare at HHN back when it was really amazing!!! ;)

This is the sort of evidence that should be presented in court.

Case dismissed!

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ginzo » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:43 pm

I think the park should promote this as an example of how good HHN is. 15 grand is nothing. It's the old "cheaper than court" pay out.
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

My small thing speaks for itself

Postby AllenA07 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:49 pm

If you look at the article it was published in 2000, which means this has likely already been dealt with. Otherwise if this had been pending for 12 years I'm sure a statute of limitations (and with those it's ironic that the initials are SOL, because if you miss the statute of limitations that is indeed what you are) would have tolled by now.

Now I'm not sure how this was resolved, but I'll make my guess in case anybody finds out. I'm going to say that the park either settled for something in the range of $1000 or (and more likely) simply got the case dismissed during summary judgment. It is actually very difficult to prove Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress, so difficult that generally the party is unable to do so.
--Allen

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby kidcoaster 2 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:18 pm

AllenA07 wrote:If you look at the article it was published in 2000,

Oh wow thanks for pointing that out.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby downunder » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:55 pm

I did my first haunts last year and I was curious about the legal liability angle with HHN because some of the scaring was quite extreme, I saw one girl pinned on the ground with two chainsaws at her. I personally think it's all fun and games and when you walk through the gate you're fair game, and I'm sure HHN has the legal angle covered as part of their risk management.

As far as that claim goes, what a load of bollocks, if she had been injured then fair enough but being scared? Now I'm off to sue the producers of The Exorcist for giving me a lifetime of nightmares.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!