Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

P. 1996 - Jersey Devil Coaster Announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Postby Coaster_Fanatic » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:37 pm

Philly.com wrote:A boy riding the Kingda Ka, a roller coaster at Six Flags Great Adventure, was hospitalized after a small bird slammed into his face Thursday afternoon, park officials said.

Kristin Siebeneicher, a spokeswoman for the park in Jackson, N.J., said the roller coaster had already plummeted 45 stories back toward the ground and was pulling into the station when the bird collided with the passenger's face about 4:45 p.m.

Park officials could not disclose the age of the passenger, but said he is a minor.

The boy suffered minor injuries to his face and neck, and was taken to a local hospital, Siebeneicher said, adding that he was expected to recover from his injuries.

The thrill ride, which soars 456 feet into the air and hurls riders along the track at a top speed of 128 miles per hour, though it was unclear how fast it was going when the bird hit. The ride was closed for about a half-hour after the accident.

Oh lord. It's Fabio all over again :lmao:
My Top 5 Coasters - 1). El Toro 2). Intimidator 305 3). Thunderhead 4). Kingda Ka 5). Apollo's Chariot

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:03 pm

There was a bird collision during TPR's ERT session on Stealth at Thorpe Park back in 2006. Poor thing never knew what hit it.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby Athletekim » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:19 pm

Saw that on my Twitter Newsfeed today.
I guess Six Flags isn't having the best of luck with birds going near their rides this summer...
Riding Roller Coasters since 2010! Coaster Count=52 Park Count=15
My #1 Steel: Storm Runner My #1 Wooden: Phoenix

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby B&MIntaminGCI » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:07 pm

So the ride was pulling into the station and the bird flew into him?

What A dumb bird, I know KK doesn't fly into the station, it's doing like 10mph maximum, so the bird must have been hauling if it sent him to the hospital.

Also, how is the KK drop tower supposed to work?

The support on the back of the tower angles as it goes up, so the drop tower would have to have a curve to it, or a structure built on to maintain the verticle angle.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work on the side because of the track, but who knows.

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:18 am

^They did it with Superman: EFK, I'm sure they would find a way. As I think about it, I start to think that building a drop tower up the side of Kingda Ka isn't such a good idea. First of all, ^he's right, they would have to alter the coaster to be able to support a drop tower being connected to it. That, and I don't think people would want to walk the length of the launch track to ride a ride. Isn't the launch track longer than the upward distance of the coaster?
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby FrightFest1408 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:31 am

^But it was easier with S:EFK because the tower is a Rectangle I-Beam structure,Kingda Ka's Structure is Round Pipe like supports. Like you said,either they modify the support structure or they weld the drop tower to the structure.To be honest,I don't see this happening.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:50 am

If they did it, the only plausible place for them to do it while still taking the height record would be to place it on the front side of the structure. They could fit two eight-person cars next to each other, I would think. The only "problem" there as far as placement is concerned (assuming that they've got the attaching all worked out) is being right underneath the ride, which Jersey isn't a big fan of. But with the covers over the cars that LL has, that shouldn't be an issue. So then the only thing left is the queue, which they do already have a bit of thanks to the old KK line that stretches into the infield - get a cover on that to appease the New Jersey guys and you should be okay.
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Ccron10 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:44 am

Wow, Ironically a few friends and me were there the day before and commented on seeing a bird flying close to Ka's tower. We all said, "Hopefully a train isn't going by when they fly past".

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby MissSara » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:19 am

I'm coming here in a little more than a week for the first time to finally ride El Toro and take it off my bucket list! Anyhow, reading reviews on Yelp, someone posted a picture holding a cup of spicy corn at the park and was wondering if anone knew what restaurant/stand serves this. Thanks!

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby JonnyRCT3 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:12 am

coasterfreak101 wrote:If they did it, the only plausible place for them to do it while still taking the height record would be to place it on the front side of the structure. They could fit two eight-person cars next to each other, I would think. The only "problem" there as far as placement is concerned (assuming that they've got the attaching all worked out) is being right underneath the ride, which Jersey isn't a big fan of. But with the covers over the cars that LL has, that shouldn't be an issue. So then the only thing left is the queue, which they do already have a bit of thanks to the old KK line that stretches into the infield - get a cover on that to appease the New Jersey guys and you should be okay.

Agreed. The Drop tower(s) will most likely be placed on the front of the structure.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!