Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

P. 1996 - Jersey Devil Coaster Announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 21 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Postby nitro4ever » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:40 pm

RideofSteel wrote:Seeing that it was supposed to rain, I went down to the park today for opening. When I got there, the parking lot was almost empty.

We first went to El Toro. We ended up staying on the ride 11 times, switching rows just one time. Those rides brought my season long El Toro count to 25 times.

By the time we finished our marathon on El Toro, it was 11:30, and we decided to check out Kingda Ka. We waited about twenty minutes for back row. Our ride was absolutely horrible. I was slammed side to side, and front to back over and over the entire way up and down. The operators also managed to double stack the trains every time.

Since it was really hot, our last rides of the day were Nitro front and back row. There was about a two train wait for each. I ended up blacking out for the entire helix both times and at the bottom of the first few drops in the back......I guess I should have drank more. We left by one.

Overall, I had an awesome morning!

Does anyone know when the flying dumbos will reopen? I find it really weird that most of a new ride has been removed.

From what I hear it's just some routine maintenance on the cars. Hopefully they're repainting them because that ride doesn't really fit too well in Adventure Alley with it's current Golden Kingdom themeing.
Yeah, I made my username before I rode I305.....

The playground is where I spend most of my days

Postby UrbanLegend » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:44 am

Does anyone know of an email address at which I can contact Great Adventure’s entertainment, um… sector? Division? I’m trying to find a way to get my school’s band to play there during Fright Fest, and I can’t find anything on their FAQ, and all they have on their Contact Us page is a 500-character-limit form.
-Did you just say you have the right to be an attorney?
-Well, everyone has the right to be an attorney, if they want to.

I make music: https://tigercastle.bandcamp.com

This button makes my penis erect.

Postby DJeXeL » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:44 pm

Your first stop should probably be Guest Relations via (732) 928-1821
- Insane In The Lift Chain -

"You shut your mouth when you talk to me"

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby RideofSteel » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:12 pm

Animal activists decry goose death at Great Adventure

Animal activists cried foul over a move by ride operators at Six Flags Great Adventure that killed a goose Sunday.A Canada goose landed on a conveyer belt that moves rafts for the theme park's Congo Rapids. A ride operator tried to coerce the goose to fly away, but it would not move, said Nicole Cora of Southington, Conn., who witnessed the ordeal.

A staff member then decided to continue operating the ride, and the conveyer belt trapped and killed the goose as witnesses, including children, looked on, Cora said.

Rachel Ogden of GooseWatch NJ, which is devoted to the humane treatment of geese, said members of the group were "disturbed and saddened" by the event.

"Six Flags needs to develop procedures that respect the lives of animals caught in its rides, while taking into account the safety of its adult and child guests," she said in a statement. "We will be filing a request with the USDA (U.S. Department of Agriculture) for an investigation into this incident."

The Department of Agriculture oversees conservation efforts of many migratory bird species.

Six Flags spokeswoman Kristin Siebeneicher defended the decision of ride operators, and said stopping Congo Rapids would have put passengers in danger. In an emergency stop, rafts loaded with passengers would be flushed into the ride's reservoir, and guests would have to be evacuated by rope, she said.

Susan Addelston of the Jackson Animal Welfare Committee said the decision to run the ride put profits at risk, not theme park patrons.

"Seems that if the park operators were truly concerned about conservation they would have hit the control to release all of the boats, then tried to free the goose that was caught," she said.

But Siebeneicher said efforts were made to aid the fowl.

"While ensuring our guests' safety, we made every effort to save the geese, which numbered between 20 and 30 in and around the ride," said Siebeneicher. "All but one were safely relocated to the Prospertown Lake area."

Though geese have posed little problem in the past, the birds have come onto the theme park's property since August, 2011, Siebeneicher said. That month, Hurricane Irene caused a break in a spillway that emptied Prospertown Lake. The geese have since searched Six Flags grounds for other water sources, the spokeswoman said.

"We determined that the situation was handled properly, although it is very unfortunate that a goose was lost," Siebeneicher said.

Animal rights activists said more could have been done to save the animal.

"This was a tragic incident and it could have been avoided if human goose control measures, which are clearly needed here, were implemented," said Kristin Simon, a senior cruelty caseworker for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, or PETA, which is based in Norfolk, Va.

Simon said the park could employ goose scare tactics, such as motion sensors, scare crows or Mylar streamers to frighten away geese. Placing dense vegetation around water sources also makes it difficult for geese to land and nest, she said.

Matt Stanton, spokesman of the New Jersey Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, said no one had filed a complaint or called the NJSPCA hotline either Sunday or Monday about the incident. The NJSPCA investigates many cases of animal abuse reported in the state.

"As far as I know, we've never even been to Great Adventure," said Stanton, who added he has worked for NJSPCA for at least eight. "They run a safari. They tend to take care of their animals."

Courier Post

The playground is where I spend most of my days

Postby UrbanLegend » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:20 pm

Canada geese are just the worst. The worst. That's one less to crap all over everything in sight. It's pretty screwed up that children watched it though.
-Did you just say you have the right to be an attorney?
-Well, everyone has the right to be an attorney, if they want to.

I make music: https://tigercastle.bandcamp.com

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:32 pm

What is it with geese and Six Flags parks?!?!

Gertrude is crying somewhere.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Ed Farmer » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:42 pm

RideofSteel wrote:GooseWatch NJ, which is devoted to the humane treatment of geese

My word...
Been you to have any spike, man?

This button makes my penis erect.

Postby DJeXeL » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:43 pm

There's seriously a group called "Goosewatch"?!?.......................Oh Hell! :roll:
- Insane In The Lift Chain -

"You shut your mouth when you talk to me"

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby theonetheonlyJT » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:12 pm

Its people like that that makes rules and laws that just cause more trouble. :x
Signature, I don't need no stinking signature!

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Spideyfreak » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:20 pm

This was a tragic incident and it could have been avoided if human goose control measures, which are clearly needed here, were implemented

What the hell is that?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!