Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

P. 1996 - Jersey Devil Coaster Announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 15 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Bonafide Donkey Expert

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Postby BaMiTsPaT » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:32 pm

Medusa1861 wrote: I previously read that people thought the loading was slow on the ride. I've been on every B&M stand-up but Riddler's Revenge and I've witnessed many ways of how they go about loading stand-up rides. I'd have to say that the Green Lantern crew is fast only 2nd to Mantis' (I have no idea what Cedar Point does to keep their crew so... focused on speed). I talked to one of the girls about it, and she tells me that a bunch of people have been quitting, So I wouldn't be so hard on a crew when you can tell that people are being trained.

I agree with you that operations on Green Lantern are great for a standup. The line moves similar to most floorless coasters I've been on, which means it is really moving for a standup.
Coaster Count: 200 Wood:35 Steel: 165

Favorite Steel: Maverick (CP)
Favorite Wood: El Toro (SFGAdv.)

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby JJLehto » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:19 pm

Well I can't vouch for others but I did say I thought the ride was smooth, (no idea how anyone thought it rough) and made no mention of load times, (seemed fine to me).
I just thought the ride was a bit of a let down lol I'll still go any time, but it was a bit forceless to me! Maybe a bad time was all?
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Fury 325, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), I305, Lightning Run
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Jetmech » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:03 pm

JJLehto wrote:Well I can't vouch for others but I did say I thought the ride was smooth, (no idea how anyone thought it rough) and made no mention of load times, (seemed fine to me).
I just thought the ride was a bit of a let down lol I'll still go any time, but it was a bit forceless to me! Maybe a bad time was all?

I didn't feel it was foceless or rough at all. I like the layout with the inclined loop and two CS's.

Postby JJLehto » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:24 pm

Jetmech wrote:
JJLehto wrote:Well I can't vouch for others but I did say I thought the ride was smooth, (no idea how anyone thought it rough) and made no mention of load times, (seemed fine to me).

I didn't feel it was foceless or rough at all. I like the layout with the inclined loop and two CS's.

Well I've been on Mantis which I found a bit more so, it was just one ride though so I really should abstain from opinion. haha
I'll have to ride again a few times and see.
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Fury 325, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), I305, Lightning Run
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby GayCoasterGuy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:34 am

I guess it wouldn't hurt for yet another coaster geek to chime-in an opinion of the Green Lantern coaster.

I haven't ridden it at Great Adventure, but I'm glad you guys got it and we (Great America regulars) didn't :) Sorry...

I rode it 3 times at Kentucky Kingdom. One time in each color scheme: 1- all yellow, 2 - lime green track and purple supports and 3 - yellow track and blue supports. Other than it's cool appearance and my remembrance of each color scheme, the ride was ... crap. What's with the shallow-ish 40 degree drop? Not that a very steep drop would improve the ride. I rode Mantis again in 2011 (previous time was proabably late 90s) and it was still bad. These B&M stand ups just don't age well. Come to think, some - like Chang - don't begin well, either. Good thing I had Greezed' Viper Lightning Wave to ERT on at Kentucky Kingdom. Now THAT is a ride that is fun year after year after decade after decade...

Even Iron Wolf started out GREAT (but aged very poorly)... Riddler's Revenge seemed to be a shining star when I rode it. Vortex at Carowinds was... OK. I think I may be missing a couple others... but poor Green Chang was always painful to me. Just painful. I don't get why people rave about it. I remember overhearing a Kentucky Kingdom employee explaining how Chang was "... the BABY of the park..." I was repulsed,... ugh!

I wish B&M would just finally break down and convert these stand up coasters into sit-down lap-bar-only models. It's not rocket science (please - no "center of gravity" arguments. They are moot!)

Postby JJLehto » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:05 am

Glad to hear I'm o
GayCoasterGuy wrote:I guess it wouldn't hurt for yet another coaster geek to chime-in an opinion of the Green Lantern coaster.

I haven't ridden it at Great Adventure, but I'm glad you guys got it and we (Great America regulars) didn't :) Sorry...

I rode it 3 times at Kentucky Kingdom. One time in each color scheme: 1- all yellow, 2 - lime green track and purple supports and 3 - yellow track and blue supports. Other than it's cool appearance and my remembrance of each color scheme, the ride was ... crap. What's with the shallow-ish 40 degree drop? Not that a very steep drop would improve the ride. I rode Mantis again in 2011 (previous time was proabably late 90s) and it was still bad. These B&M stand ups just don't age well. Come to think, some - like Chang - don't begin well, either. Good thing I had Greezed' Viper Lightning Wave to ERT on at Kentucky Kingdom. Now THAT is a ride that is fun year after year after decade after decade...

Even Iron Wolf started out GREAT (but aged very poorly)... Riddler's Revenge seemed to be a shining star when I rode it. Vortex at Carowinds was... OK. I think I may be missing a couple others... but poor Green Chang was always painful to me. Just painful. I don't get why people rave about it. I remember overhearing a Kentucky Kingdom employee explaining how Chang was "... the BABY of the park..." I was repulsed,... ugh!

I wish B&M would just finally break down and convert these stand up coasters into sit-down lap-bar-only models. It's not rocket science (please - no "center of gravity" arguments. They are moot!)

Hey glad to hear I'm not alone!
I mean it's not a bad ride at all just eh...I left Green Lantern and thought "alright" and that's not a great sign lol
I still enjoy Mantis but yeah, even that is not as great as it seems it should be.
You may be right, perhaps these B&M stand ups dont age well (Ive only riden the two). They are fun though and have cool layouts so I'd love to see them convert to sit downs.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby GayCoasterGuy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:09 am

JJLehto wrote:You may be right, perhaps these B&M stand ups dont age well (Ive only riden the two). They are fun though and have cool layouts so I'd love to see them convert to sit downs.

WITH lap bars only. Please B&M :) "Everyone else is doing it!"

Think about all those old Arrow coasters and all these looping B&M coasters. Now think about them with just a lap bar. Imagine the comfort and freedom. Ahhh.....

(I gotta mention at the same time how much I *strongly dislike* the newer Vekoma trains with that awful rubbery vest. It's not a good option. Less headbanging, but that is simply traded for a new sort of "hold you down and back and let you feel every jerk and bump" pain. I don't get the love. Same with the new B&M wing rider rubber vests. Uck!)

Postby JJLehto » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:13 am

Well that'd be sweet but personally I wouldn't care because I like the B&M OTSR.
Though lap bar is of course always better!

Not to derail too far but I only rode one with the new Vekoma...I mean, it was kinda weird but I couldn't argue with em. Went from a torture device to almost no pain so I was ok with it haha

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby RideofSteel » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:57 am

Seeing that it was supposed to rain, I went down to the park today for opening. When I got there, the parking lot was almost empty.

We first went to El Toro. We ended up staying on the ride 11 times, switching rows just one time. Those rides brought my season long El Toro count to 25 times.

By the time we finished our marathon on El Toro, it was 11:30, and we decided to check out Kingda Ka. We waited about twenty minutes for back row. Our ride was absolutely horrible. I was slammed side to side, and front to back over and over the entire way up and down. The operators also managed to double stack the trains every time.

Since it was really hot, our last rides of the day were Nitro front and back row. There was about a two train wait for each. I ended up blacking out for the entire helix both times and at the bottom of the first few drops in the back......I guess I should have drank more. We left by one.

Overall, I had an awesome morning!

Does anyone know when the flying dumbos will reopen? I find it really weird that most of a new ride has been removed.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby biker7766 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:59 pm

My 2 friends and I just signed up for the SFGAdv Day, cant freakin wait. Best day of my life! =) =)
TPR's Queue Line Enthusiast!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!