Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

P. 1996 - Jersey Devil Coaster Announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 13 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Postby DILinator » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:23 am

I knew SFGAdv would be getting a coaster soon, and really felt 2020 was the year, and they sure did get one! It's even better than what I was thinking it would likely be (WCR clone or S&S like Maxx Force), and instantly becomes one of the best new coasters coming in 2020 in my opinion! This will absolutely get me out to NJ with my kids next year to "visit my relatives" that live nearby, and I can't wait to finally get on my first Raptor!

If there's anything that's surprising about this to me, it's that SF isn't marketing that Raven Dive as an inversion, as it certainly appears to invert to me. Regardless though, all these elements are amazing looking, and yes, from the POV on the site it's clear that a couple of those airtime hills on the way back to the station at the end are off axis, first one way, then the other, before a standard airtime hill, and then pop onto the brake run. This whole thing is going to be so amazing!

I'm glad that Congo Rapids is staying, even though it's not something I'll probably ever go on. It's a classic and historic part of the park, and the more rides and attractions they can keep, the better! It also appears, according to the announcement post Robb made, that Safari Kids is staying. So that pretty much gives us our footprint for the coaster. And as Boldikus mentioned, night rides are going to be fantastic on this thing! Such a perfect location, and theme, for this particular coaster, and an absolute home run of an addition for GAdv!

I wonder whether the "Summer" opening for this means SF's typical Memorial Day opening, or if it's implying it may be a little later in the year than normal? I'm going to be making a bit of a coaster trip with my kids in the weeks following Memorial Day, so I'm curious as to whether this might be open by then. I definitely want to try and get on it before kids are out of school during the week, if possible, because this is absolutely going to draw massive lines, regardless of the capacity!

I mentioned it before, but I'll just close by mentioning it again: What an excellent, and fun teasing campaign by GAdv this was! Kudos to them and their marketing department for this fantastic lead-up, and reveal! Even though it leaked a little early, they still did a great job of keeping it under wraps, especially in comparison to Candymonium, Pantheon, and Orion, three of the other top 2020 coasters announced. I know it's popular to give SF crap in enthusiast circles, but I think once again they did a great job with all of their additions this year, led by this crown jewel of a coaster!

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Highridin » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:30 am

Yup, a great teaser campaign. On another note, the park did a good job with keeping it under wraps. That radio station dropped the ball. Bet that they will not get dibs on news again.
Top 3 steel: Skyrush, Twisted Timbers, I305
Top 3 wood: El Toro, Twister, Wild One

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:33 am

I love it! Wonder Woman is a really cool ride, and the one we rode the most in Texas this summer. A bigger, longer version of it would be fantastic.

As for capacity...well, the 12 cars will help, but.... this park is gonna be Platinum or bust for a while.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:44 am

So based on the lead car, can we call Jersey Devil the "om nom nom" coaster?
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Postby DILinator » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:46 am

Highridin wrote:Yup, a great teaser campaign. On another note, the park did a good job with keeping it under wraps. That radio station dropped the ball. Bet that they will not get dibs on news again.

I read elsewhere that this is not the first time that particular station leaked GAdv's announcement early. Makes me wonder if this is the "final straw" (cue Milton voice), or if it's just something the park will continue to look past.

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:As for capacity...well, the 12 cars will help, but.... this park is gonna be Platinum or bust for a while.

As for the potential for massive crowds at the park, and an intolerable line length, I agree that it will definitely be bad once Summer is in full swing. However, I have also found that you can do this park with minimal crowds on days you wouldn't necessarily think would be like that. Case in point: my last visit was the day after the 4th of July, and had hardly any waits all day long, and left a few hours early because we'd been able to do everything we wanted. So I feel like there will still be good days to go, and get on Jersey Devil reasonably quick. Of course, outside of days when school is still in session, good luck figuring out exactly when those days will be!

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Sportsdude360 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:51 am

I thought it might be a Raptor, glad to see they're not all going to be clones. Congratulations to SFGADV!

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby coneyislandchris » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:09 am

This is even better than I expected or could have hoped for. Looks like I'm gonna be hitting up Great Adventure a lot more next season than I have this year.

Boldy, the press release on the website says it will be four trains. I can't wait to ride this thing in the last row.
That coaster dad [335] and that coaster kiddo [212]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Twisted Timbers. Intimidator 305. El Toro.

Kiddo's faves: Talon. Alpengeist. Copperhead Strike. Twisted Timbers. Fury 325.

Postby DILinator » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:27 am

coneyislandchris wrote:I can't wait to ride this thing in the last row.

Ditto! That's what I keep thinking! I've heard they are pretty strict about assigning seats on the other two Raptors though... Is that the case? And if so, should we expect that here at GAdv with Jersey Devil as well? Regardless, I am sure that'll be the money seat on this coaster, and very popular, so hopefully it works out for me to ride it there at least once!

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Satans Hockey » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:43 am

I love the front of those trains! This is so cool, I haven't been on one of these yet so I'm really looking forward to this opening. I'm so happy they went with local lore for the theme as well. I wonder if they kept the devil statue from outside El Diablo or if they will have that company(I forgot the name but they are local too and do really cool work) make them a new statue.

I also obviously absolutely love the name of this ride, I'll definitely be buying some merch for it lol

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby CarolinaJay » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:09 am

That coaster better have a damn good lighting package to bring that bad boy to even MORE life!! At least have lighting on the trains or on the grounds amongst the coaster to really bring in that "devil" vibe. I know they won't do it, but a guy can dream lol. It looks bad ass!! HUGE AF, TOO. For some reason I was expecting something more compact, even a T-Rex style, but this is E P I C just as it is! That's gonna draw in a huge crowd for sure.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!