Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

P. 1996 - Jersey Devil Coaster Announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: jynx242 and 35 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:13 pm

anonymouscactus wrote:Awesome report and pics! I want to make the 6 hour drive this weekend on Saturday but the combination of wind and cold tells me maybe we should maybe wait (though it could be worse next weekend, who knows)... I know bill jokes about them running nitro until it valleys but I was screwed over at SFGADV once before due to winds (nitro and many other rides closed, and Toro valleyed that morning) so I know it's not 100% true :-p -- I know to take forecasts with a grain of salt but if the HIGH is 36 degrees with light to moderate winds will they fire the rides up to start the day? I'm just weary because at the park I worked at, you know, we actually follow the temperature rules. Many rides have a start-up temperature but you can keep running if it gets colder... but 36 degrees, honestly I'm not sure how that will work at six flags. Just paranoid since it will be a long journey... I know I would still enjoy myself but i don't know the history of how last year went on the colder and windier days. Thanks!

Oh, and most importantly, how much is the spiked cider and where the hell is this majestic place located???? A couple of those paired with Houdini and Joker sounds like a fun time, even if the big rides were to close...

Opening weekend last year? Yeah we were there too :lol:

To be fair the only ride in the Holiday in the Park section that didn't open that day was Nitro and they tried to open it, it just crawled into the midcourse at about 1 MPH (at most), the brakes locked and it took maintenance forever to release it from the midcourse (we were actually next to ride and sitting in the train when they closed it) but winds were over 50 MPH that day, the ride wasn't broken in yet for the season and it most likely had different wheels.

I've never once seen them not open a coaster because of low temperatures. I have seen them not open a coaster because of incredibly high winds but the wind this weekend seems like it'll be very manageable.

anonymouscactus wrote:how last year went on the colder and windier days

How things went last year on colder and windier days? Things went up 230 feet above the clouds... and then they dropped down reaching hilariously not hyper speeds of definitely not 80 MPH but somehow made it back to the station eventually. :lol: No ride closed for weather at any point during last year's event except for one mid day hail storm though. We rode Nitro one night at park close and the phone was showing 29 degrees.

I'll say this though. Saturday is forecasted to be the lowest high temperature in Holiday in the Park history. Personally I think they'll run every coaster all day, but if you're worried then don't chance it. Just go Sunday or go next weekend when you'll likely have slightly warmer weather which will be nicer for walking around in.

anonymouscactus wrote:Oh, and most importantly, how much is the spiked cider and where the hell is this majestic place located???? A couple of those paired with Houdini and Joker sounds like a fun time, even if the big rides were to close...

It's right over by Sky Screamer at the Sky Bar.
Last edited by coasterbill on Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:39 pm.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby anonymouscactus » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:31 pm

Thanks Bill! I'm feeling pretty confident especially since the winds keep dropping every time I check. Your words of wisdom have once again inspired and the spiked cider makes me that much more excited (not a beer guy at all but i LOVE cider). Are refills cheaper for spiked cider with the mug??

Postby coasterbill » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:37 pm

Sadly no :lol: But you get a lot of cool cups since you get a new one each time. And no problem, I did some weather-dorking and edited the post a little but I still think it'll be fine. Plus, if you want reassurance just see what happens Friday. The park opens at 5PM, at which point it'll be dark and 35 degrees (unless things change). Just keep an eye on coasterqueue and see if the coasters open. If they do then you're golden.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby anonymouscactus » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:44 pm

Good advice, we aren't starting the drive until Saturday AM so looking at Friday wait times in the evening will work well too.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby Devins3 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:17 am

How much are those hard ciders? If their at least semi strong I'd pay 12 bucks for one. I feel a little buzz would compliment the relaxed nature of HITP well and they look delicious.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:28 am

Amazingly they were only $10. You get to keep the cup. It's hot apple cider spiked with rum. Our bartender had a thing for me so that may be why but mine were strong. You can get them topped with cinnamon and/or whipped cream (which tasted fine but looked rather unappetizing once it melted around the sides of the hot cup). We got them at Skybar, next to Skyscreamer, but were told they had them in the marketplace next to Joker. It's the perfect drink for this event.

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:40 am

Ciders look good. I'll probably blow 100 bucks and drink 10.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby deguy123 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:08 am

I cant wait to check Holiday In the Park on Saturday finally! They are having a GUINNESS WORLD RECORD Breaking Mistletoe Kiss Event there so looking forward to that too!

Also those Cider drinks look AMAZING :-)

North East Trip 2011

LeviaTHON 2012

Scandi 2014

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:40 am

Glad you had a great time, Boldikus! Sorry I couldn't make it - there had to be a change of plans on my end as too many family events were occurring that day. We'll meet up at some point!
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Postby coasterbill » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:34 pm

Okay, I have an important update ;) . First of all, I've heard that hundreds of miles to the south in a much warmer climate, Dollywood's coasters have been closed all day due to temperature. Let's all have a moment of silence for Dollywood's coasters...

Thank you.

Now since there's been some concern this week about some hilarious bullsh*t that goes on at other parks known as "listening to the manufacturer", I figured I'd give you an update since today is the coldest day in HITP history. While we've established that once the coasters open, the park will happily bend the rules a bit (and by "bend" the rules I mean take a huge sh*t on them), I know a few days ago people assumed that they might still pay attention to the "start up temperature" since it was "important" or some bullsh*t. At park opening tonight it was 34 degrees with gusty winds and I've confirmed with my peeps (a highly credible source) that they are currently being taken up 230 feet above the clouds and dropped down reaching hyper speeds of 80 MPH™, so fear not.

Hopefully this has cleared up any concerns you may have had. :lol:

TL:DR: LOL the park opened with gusty winds and 34 degree temperatures and every single coaster is open. Ole' or whatever... we are Six Flags Great Adventure and we will not yield
lol.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!