Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

P. 1996 - Jersey Devil Coaster Announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 13 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Randomness

Postby coasterdude5 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:20 pm

Good to hear it's back up for the folks on the East Coast trip to ride.

BANNED

Postby East Coast(er) General » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:37 pm

^Yeah. ERT on El Toro is going to be awesome!
We got 8 rides in a row without having to leave the train this morning & it was in-f*cking-credible!

yankees15 wrote:^That is great to hear! I should be heading out there the 12th or the 13th. I'm just wondering, I have been hearing El Toro is getting rougher. Is that true?

No, that's not true.
It seems to give a bigger jolt as the train moves onto the lift hill (perhaps due to the new cable), but that's the only difference I noticed.
Like Maverick, you have to anticipate the turns on El Toro or you might get roughed up a little, but not any more than usual.
El Toro|S:RoS|Mav|Griffon|Led Zep|MF|RFII|Dommy|Goliath|TTD
Parks visited 2008:
BGE, Carowinds, CP, DL, DP, HP, HRP, KD, LP, SFA, SFGadv, SFNE, SFOG & Waldameer
El Toro - Ride The Bull!

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby KrautWithAltitude » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:57 pm

I´m happy to hear El Toro is up and running again (though I´d be much happier to see it burned to ashes so we could build a new one ;) ).

Like I can interpret all those rumors, lightning has struck somewhere top of the ride and made it down to the station including the very brains of El Toro, so the lift cable had to be exchanged. Well, aren´t we all happy Six Flags take all they can to ensure safe operation again?

So there´s a lightning rod next to El Toro. As someone said before, lightning is a son of a beach. Since normal roller coasters are not advanced enough to operate radio transmitting sensors, stuff like that could happen again, where the current goes all the way down. SF took all precaution necessary to get the ride back within less than a week, being sure noone will have to mourn or sue anyone. That´s pretty quick, ain´t it? Legal department must have been sweating a little, more so the technicians and buying department, to get all the -possibly- broken parts like lift hill cable and random stuff ready to go. Good work, I´d like to see that on a lot of other coasters too, or have they already paid off? ;)

Norman "happy and not so"

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby andy_e219 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:53 pm

This happened at Conneaut Lake Park in 2006 when lightning struck the top of the lift hill and the curant traveled down the chain and ruined the lift moter. They had it operating again in less than a week.
Conneaut lLake Park rides again: May 22, 2009.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby yankees15 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:25 pm

East Coast(er) General wrote:No, that's not true.
It seems to give a bigger jolt as the train moves onto the lift hill (perhaps due to the new cable), but that's the only difference I noticed.
Like Maverick, you have to anticipate the turns on El Toro or you might get roughed up a little, but not any more than usual.

You are correct about anticipating the turns but I was refereing to how it rides. I have heard the coaster overall has been getting rougher. I remember the coaster riding smoother than most steel coasters. I have not ridden it this year but have the past 2 years. Is it still that way or is it getting rougher?

El Toro totally owns the Voyage!

Postby coasterguy618 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:06 pm

yankees15 wrote:
East Coast(er) General wrote:No, that's not true.

You are correct about anticipating the turns but I was refereing to how it rides. I have heard the coaster overall has been getting rougher. I remember the coaster riding smoother than most steel coasters. I have not ridden it this year but have the past 2 years. Is it still that way or is it getting rougher?

It's still super smooth, although for a few bumps in the turnaround. But I think it just depends on what row you sit in.

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby halltd » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:09 pm

My friends and I have ridden it about six times each season since it opened (always in the last or second to last car), and there's nothing rough about El Toro at all. You might consider the turns a little violent, but they're not rough. That thing is still one of the smoothest coasters I've ever been on - wood or steel. It's even better at night!!

BANNED

Postby East Coast(er) General » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:28 pm

yankees15 wrote:I have heard the coaster overall has been getting rougher. I remember the coaster riding smoother than most steel coasters. I have not ridden it this year but have the past 2 years. Is it still that way or is it getting rougher?

Its still that way.
I've ridden it over 70 times so far, including 11 times today (2x front row, 6x back row, the rest in between). I had to keep changing seats in order to stay on the same train during Rise & Scream and got in eight rides in a row. So believe me when I say that the coaster is still as smooth as it has always been in all the seats, but sitting in the last car is much better do to the massive pull (especially over the insane ejector hill)!
El Toro|S:RoS|Mav|Griffon|Led Zep|MF|RFII|Dommy|Goliath|TTD
Parks visited 2008:
BGE, Carowinds, CP, DL, DP, HP, HRP, KD, LP, SFA, SFGadv, SFNE, SFOG & Waldameer
El Toro - Ride The Bull!

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby yankees15 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:21 am

Wow thank you guys for letting me know El Toro is still super smooth! That is great to hear since it's my all time favorite coaster and I want it to keep providing amazing rides. It is the second smoothest coaster I have been on right behind Griffon.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby coastergirl26 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:30 am

I rode el toro back in May. Rough doesnt even belong in the same sentence. It is super smooth. Like someone else said the turms are intense and violent but not rough in no way. Back seat is the best, i mean major ejector air. Its my 2nd favorite coaster overall right below Alpengeist, and my favorite woodie. There is nothing you wont like about it.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!