TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Haha I knew the Nitro comments would cause some backlash. It wasn’t a bad coaster. Like I said, I just think my expectations were too high. B&M hypers/Gigas are practically the only coasters I’ve never experienced, so I had built up years of anticipation for this ride. Maybe next time will be better, now that I know what to expect from it. My friend loved it!

Haha I knew the Nitro comments would cause some backlash. It wasn’t a bad coaster. Like I said, I just think my expectations were too high. B&M hypers/Gigas are practically the only coasters I’ve never experienced, so I had built up years of anticipation for this ride. Maybe next time will be better, now that I know what to expect from it. My friend loved it!

Honestly, a lot of us are probably a little too sensitive and defensive when it comes to B&M for some reason. It's weird.

You talk shit on my Diamondback though and we're going to have some problems!

Nitro might not be out of this world crazy, but it is a great ride that can be reridden over and over no problem and there are no complaints to be had with Nitro it's probably the biggest crowd pleaser in the park.

Hey there!

A couple of friends and I are looking to visit Six Flags Great Adventure June 18-19 and I figured I’d come here for some tips / tricks and maybe get a few questions answered.

Both of those days on the app say they are scheduled to be open 10:30am - 8:00pm. Would this mean they expect lighter crowds (similar to how Canada’s Wonderland is) or is that a total staffing thing? Typically of course, I understand there are exceptions.

Being a Diamond Elite member I know they allow for 50% off of the gate price, but does anyone know what the gate price actually is? I’d assume it’s more than they advertise a day pass for online? And are there any discounts that day that are cheaper than the 50% off that anyone knows of? My mobile portal only sometimes works for other parks outside of Darien Lake when it comes to ticket discounts...

Also, speaking of the Diamond Elite thing. I’m given two skip the line / single use flash passes, is this only applicable for me or for my entire party (of 4 total)? I thought it was only for the pass holder but I guess Darien Lake and Great Escape and possibly other parks do it for the group? I assume it would be different for one of the larger six flags parks but I have no clue!

Lastly, are there any hidden gems in the park we should know about? This being our first trip out, I’m hoping to get the best experience we can since we may not be back for a while.

Thanks!!

It shouldn't be that crowded, there might be some school groups during the day but they usually leave around 4 or 5, even with the schools there, waits probably won't be bad for most rides. I was at the park a week and a half ago and there were at least 40 or 50 buses in the lot and I didn't wait more than 10 - 15 minutes for anything.

The gate price is around $75 (I want to say $73 but not 100% sure).

Skip the line passes are only for the person with the membership.

If you have time, ride the parachutes. It's a rare ride and tame but still fun.

Lastly, are there any hidden gems in the park we should know about? This being our first trip out, I’m hoping to get the best experience we can since we may not be back for a while.

Safari Off Road Adventure. It's not "hidden" to the rest of the world as it's one of the biggest if not THE biggest draws in the park but enthusiasts always overlook it. Ride Houdini too.

Lastly, are there any hidden gems in the park we should know about?
If you didn't ride Skull Mountain in the back row you never even went to Great Adventure.

Safari Off Road Adventure. It's not "hidden" to the rest of the world as it's one of the biggest if not THE biggest draws in the park but enthusiasts always overlook it. Ride Houdini too.

Does it open with the park? Trying to avoid a long line. I'm guessing it won't be a Flash Pass option.

^ Yep, opens with the park, line tends to be cut off at around dusk. Best practice is definitely to head there once the park opens in order to minimize the wait times. Plus, animals are likely to be the most active at that point anyway, before it gets too hot out.

It usually lasts somewhere around 45 minutes, give or take a few depending on how fast the respective driver chooses to drive. Add time for however long you wish to spend at Camp Aventura at the midway point.

^ Any time I've been on it they've always given us the option of remaining on the truck instead of departing, so it's more likely that if you do it earlier in the morning, you could most likely wait on the truck instead if you choose to.

Does it open with the park? Trying to avoid a long line. I'm guessing it won't be a Flash Pass option.

It’s on Flash Pass and it opens with the park. Also, Camp Aventura is cool. You should ignore these people and get off there.

^ Oh yea, I don't disagree - I'd always recommend going to Camp Aventura. It is, in fact, "cool". I always get off, just saying you could stay if you want to (but seriously, don't).

Safari is on flash pass, but I'm pretty sure we couldn't use Membership skip the line on it last year. Not sure if anything has changed in that regard. It's also possible my memory is fuzzy.

Don't miss it, though. It's worth the time commitment... just go early as others have said.

Last year at Great Adventure: The Skip The Line for Diamond Elite you get two slips of paper, each with a ride name that your present to them ahead of time. You can get two slips with the same ride and ride with a guest, but each slip is only good for one person. They do not check for a membership card when you go to redeem the slips.

Pretty much agree with everything people have said.

I'll re-emphasize Skull Mountain in the VERY back row and making sure to ride Houdini.

I'd also try to get at least one lap in on the sky ride.

Cyborg is best with few people riding, take an outer seat, it's not quite as nauseating as it looks.

Leave plenty of time for Toro, and make sure to ride Zumenjaro right after Ka before you forget, and wind up having to walk halfway across the earth to get back to its entrance.

As far as crowds, the general consensus seems to be that the best way to predict crowds is to purchase a dart board, write different crowd levels at different parts of the board, blindfold yourself, and throw the dart.

So far I've had light crowds at 2/3 of my visits.

Be warned that Ka's line can move agonizingly slow at times, especially if they only run one train (which they did during my ride). Zumenjaro probably won't have a line even if the park is crowded, but if it does, single rider should get you on pretty quick.

I strongly recommended Kingda Ka in the front row and the front row alone. It's significantly smoother up there and it's incredible to feel the wind powerblasting the inside of your eyelids from that launch.

Fixed.

Speaking of Ka, on the latest episode of "Sue Great Adventure For Something Dumb" we have...

Doctor sues Six Flags Great Adventure over Kingda Ka roller coaster ride

CAMDEN – A popular roller coaster at Six Flags Great Adventure exposes some patrons to the risk of “whiplash type injuries,” says a lawsuit for a physician who claims his ride led to spinal surgery.

Dr. Christopher Fabricant of Red Bank, Monmouth County, contends he suffered “severe and permanent damage to his neck and spine” during a painful ride on Kingda Ka, which the park describes as the “fastest roller coaster in North America.”

The lawsuit in Camden federal court contends park employees did not warn the 6-foot-2 doctor that a person of his body size “was not a candidate for safely riding (Kingda Ka).”

It claims a rider on Kingda Ka risks whiplash from the coaster’s “extreme speed and torqueing forces” if most or all of the person’s head extends above the rear of the seat.

And the suit alleges the seat’s safety harness can cause “crushing injuries” for taller patrons. The lawsuit argues those adverse conditions are “sufficient to cause severe damage to the vertebrae.”

Great Adventure does not comment on legal matters, said Kristin Fitzgerald, a park spokeswoman.

“However, the safety and well-being of our guests is always our top priority,” she said.

The park’s website describes Kingda Ka as an “upside down U-shaped track (that) bolts up 45 stories in the sky.”

It notes the ride accelerates from 0 to 128 mph “in a jaw-dropping 3.5 seconds” as it climbs to its peak, then plummets “right back down in a 270-degree spiral that is not recommended for wimps.”

The lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages for Fabricant and his wife, Malika, says the doctor was injured while accompanying his son on the coaster on April 23, 2017.

It contends a park employee did not properly adjust Fabricant’s harness, and that a locking system prevented the harness from loosening, “but it did not prevent tightening.”

As a result, the lawsuit says, the harness “became locked tighter and tighter” during Fabricant’s ride, causing “excruciating” pain in his shoulders.

“Although the ride lasted less than a minute, the pain … was so unbearable that seconds seemed endless as the car slowly returned to the station,” it claims.

Fabricant was able to drive home and to work the next day. But the suit contends he had sustained “an acute rupture of at least two intervertebral discs,” and that the injury led “to a cascade of catastrophic medical events” over the next three weeks.

After seeing multiple doctors and visiting an emergency room, Fabricant underwent back surgery on May 13. He "anticipates the need for at least one additional surgery and additional medical treatment … throughout the remainder of his life,” the suit says.

The suit contends a park guide in Fabricant’s possession at the time of the ride shows a maximum height for Kingda Ka riders of 77 inches, “nearly three inches greater than his own height.”

"In retrospect it is clear that he was misled by these printed guidelines," the suit adds.

It also faults Six Flags’ presentation of legally required signs that notify patrons they must report any injury to the park “within 90 days … as a precondition to the right to institute legal action.”

Signs on display during Fabricant’s visit “were in fact rendered inconspicuous” due to “small font size” and other features, the suit says. As a result, it asserts the park “failed to satisfy the requirements for triggering the applicable precondition notice requirement.”

The suit, which alleges negligence by Great Adventure, makes additional claims against firms that made, designed and sold seats and harnesses for the Kingda Ka ride.

Initially filed last month in Superior Court, Ocean County, it was moved to the Camden court last week at Great Adventure’s request.

Its worth noting I'm 6'2 and definitely have needed not back surgery after dozens of rides on this thing. I'm sure countless others will chime in to say the same thing.