Adventureland (Iowa) Discussion Thread

P. 75: Dragon being dismantled!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Re: Adventureland (Iowa) Discussion Thread

Postby LegendLover » Sun May 17, 2020 10:07 pm

Lord the Dragon was awful. I hate it even more than Ninja. Ninja is a little shakey, but Dragon had straight up potholes. At least the seats are nice and soft when you hit a pothole in a car, but hitting one with nothing but a plastic church pew of a seat was more painful than any headbanging.

Also my bet is on either a launced coaster or a Chance Hyper GT-X.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby 11slataus » Mon May 18, 2020 9:47 am

I can't really say I will miss Dragon, but I did like it better than I guess a lot of people did. The loops and first helix were so intense, and even though the ride was rough, I always thought the roughest part was (oddly) the pre-lift hops.

Excited to see what they replace it with! And it will be interesting to see if they decide to build whatever new over the water, or to basically stick to the little strip of land that Dragon did. Dragon Slayer would be a cool name to use, too, seeing as that whole little area of the park is "Dragon Island."

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Mon May 18, 2020 9:54 am

Now that I am closer, I really want to visit this park in the future...have always wanted to visit.

Postby cal1br3tto » Mon May 18, 2020 9:54 am

Tell me why I momentarily freaked out when I saw this news. Then, of course, I realized it's just Dragon.

Count me in, though, as someone who found it mildly enjoyable and not too rough. Ninja is far worse.

And please let the replacement be called Dragon Slayer.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon May 18, 2020 10:08 am

This must be a pretty sizable addition if they're already taking down Dragon rather than waiting until after the year. And while I liked Dragon more than most, I'm guessing what they have in store will be an improvement.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Belmont Park & Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Postby coasterbill » Mon May 18, 2020 10:25 am

Either that or it's old and needs some expensive work that they don't feel like doing because it's a piece of crap.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby John Peck » Mon May 18, 2020 3:08 pm

This is one coaster I will never ride having not been to the park. Doesn't look like I missed much, though. Hopefully they will build a Giga! (just kidding of course)

Postby VF15 » Mon May 18, 2020 3:32 pm

I wonder if they had planned on running it this year until July or so, but with the uncertainty around opening dates they decided to pull the plug early. Anyway, Dragon was one of the roughest coasters I've been on so not a big loss. I'd personally like to see them add a Chance Hyper GT-X like Lightning Run at Kentucky Kingdom, it would be a fantastic coaster that probably wouldn't have a terribly high pricetag.

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Mon May 18, 2020 4:33 pm

^That would be such a great fit. I seriously do not understand why parks aren't snatching up that model. Lightning Run opened 6 years ago and not a single other has been built!
Steel: 197 / Wood: 33 / Total: 230
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

I Love Donkeys!

Postby SwuaraeC » Mon May 18, 2020 5:50 pm

KCCI put out a video of the skycam going over the demo site. It's a much better look than what I could get from outside the park.

Edit: Almost forgot the link to the footage - https://www.facebook.com/kcci8/posts/10157014956555079
Dragon Demolition.PNG
View from KCCI sky cam

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!