TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Adventureland (Iowa) Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Adventuredome, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Adventureland

Adventureland's Official Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

February 20th, 2010 - Fire destroys Main Street buildings -see below

February 17th, 2014 - Adventureland to add a Mondial WindSeeker

June 7th, 2014 - Storm Chaser opens

June 21st, 2014 - rumors of future removal of log flume

March 3rd, 2015 - new family coaster could be in the future

July 8th, 2015 - The Monster, from Gerstlauer, is announced

September 19th, 2017 - park announces dedicated kiddie area for 2018

December 11th, 2018 - Phoenix announced, a Maurer spinning coaster

May 17th, 2020 - Dragon being dismantled for 2021 addition

From KCCI.com:

ALTOONA, Iowa --

At least three fire crews responded to the Adventureland theme park in Altoona Saturday afternoon.

Adventureland spokeswoman Molly Vincent said the fire is contained to an area known as 'Main Street' inside the park and no one has been injured.

The fire is so big, smoke could be seen from the Des Moines International Airport.

Vincent said Adventureland is closed for the season. There is a popular gun show going on nearby, but it is not connected to the fire.

KCCI viewer photos show a lot of smoke and fire billowing from shops inside Adventureland. Fire crews are keeping everyone out of the area.

I worked in these buildings when I was in high school. This is so sad. Luckily it looks like all the rides are ok. Hopefully theyll have bingo rebuilt in time for the TPR Mid-America trip.

2027819152_alandfire.jpg.08c08862206d147d202e670ccc29e448.jpg

Looks like the toy shop, bingo, the arcade and skee ball, possibly all the games on the back side of the shops.

adventureland_fire2.jpg.45c1971608a6187c2cc55223dc926dbe.jpg

[/img]adventureland_fire1.jpg.e5b9e1168485a6e8df4a740dc36bdcab.jpg

Another article:

http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978058967

Iowa’s largest amusement park, Adventureland, caught fire this afternoon around 4:30pm. The cause was determined to be from a collapsed ceiling in the park’s toy store. The collapse sparked an electrical fire.

The park is closed for the season so no one was hurt even as the blaze spread.

Firefighters from Altoona, Pleasant Hill, Ankeny and Johnston had contained the fire within two hours.

The Des Moines airport reported being able to see black smoke billowing from the direction of Adventureland even across the great distance.

Here is what the Main Street area is supposed to look like:

Edited by larrygator

Saturdays, TPR, and Fire have not been a good combination these last two weeks!

All our best to Adventureland and I'm sure they'll get cleaned up and rebuilt soon. Can't wait to show everyone on the Middle America tour this great little park!

This is extremely unfortunate. I know it's not going to be easy to sort out the insurance and run the park with this much destruction, especially with opening so close at hand. That look like a really well done main street for the park. I hope they're able to re-build it as well as it looked and don't put in a bunch of fake-looking steel buildings.

That was a really nice area in a great little park!! That's a shame.

I hope it can be rebuilt to nearly what it was. I imagine that there are a lot of heavy hearts there right now, as the staff there was one of the friendliest you'd find anywhere!!

JJ

I've always wanted to visit this park from my days of riding by it on the way to my relative's house in Council Bluffs with the folks every summer. We just never had the time to be able to stop and spend a day.

Sure hope they can rebuild - it really looks like a nice area!

This news breaks my heart! When I lived in the Twin Cities I'd visit Adventureland every summer-- it's the epitome of a traditional theme park and the employees are the nicest I've ever come across. A huge part of the park's character was this front area and it's so sad to see it in flames. I'm glad they'll recover and continue to be a place for families, but for the record I'd take being able to play the Bingo there over any of the rides, any day!

^I tried a few things and couldn't get it to embed, those local news sites usually don't have that feature.

As for what will burn this Saturday...my guess is either Hard Rock Freestyle Park or SFKK, both for insurance and lawsuit reasons!

• 3 years later...