TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Adventureland (Iowa) Discussion Thread

Wow! This announcement was out of the blue and I love it! I'm so surprised that they are getting a new coaster so soon after building The Monster. I thought that this park was super charming last time I visited and I'm glad that they are growing and expanding.

^I was wondering the same! But surely they didn’t purchase that one for $6 million, right?

I don’t understand how the Inverters ever became so popular. Did no one at Chance or the parks that bought them ride one first and realize...”Hm. This really f@(k!ng sucks!”

If they did buy it from Dixie Land (not saying they did - I have no clue), the 6 million might include the cost of transportation, removing the inverter, clearing the land, building the ride, and getting it operational, on top of the initial price, as well as other costs I didn’t think of.

I wonder if this could be the one from Dixie Landi'n that was apparently removed last year?

If it is that one (Extreme?), then it's great, as this one is what Crush's Coaster is in WDS in Paris.

Only this one isn't indoors.

• 5 months later...
Sup y'all, I'm coming down from Minnesota on June 3rd and i'm wondering what types of crowds to expect. Also will the new ride be open?

It is not likely that Phoenix will be open when you are visiting. Crowds aren’t that bad at all, and the only attractions you may find a line for are Raging River, Sawmill splash, monster, and space shot. Even then, probably only a 10-20 minute wait.

• 4 weeks later...

Going to the park for the first time since 1990(!!) tomorrow (Monday, June 24th). I'm looking forward to the geeky stuff I didn't care about when I was a little guy, like sky rides and transport rides. Blame it on Planet Coaster... In addition to the coasters. Loved Tornado back then, sure I'll love it now. Always loved Cobb coasters, not many around today.

Anyone have any tips for getting to everything in one day? What's a nice place to eat in the park?

I saw that Adventureland is completely smoke-free. No smoking sections. Good for them. There’s something a little funny about it too.

At a rest stop on the way... smoking was only allowed in your closed car. Also funny. My have things changed. Go Iowa.

F8A21B2A-B1F8-42F5-BE69-BD7EFD753097.thumb.jpeg.253a3da91d47f2cbcf12e6592e98ca16.jpeg

Looking good!

Speaking of Adventureland, is Phoenix close to opening? I remember them saying June when it was announced.

There was testing footage that came out last week. Still no solid date for opening that I could find.

^ Thanks. It'll be interesting to see if that's up by the time I visit next month. If not, no big deal since I've ridden the same clone elsewhere.

I'm more closely following the retro Herschell mouse going up at Arnolds Park. I haven't been on one of those mice in years and am itching to get back on one before they go extinct.

Hi everyone...I joined this site just to ask this question.

So number of years ago, I had to do a walk of shame off of Prowler at Worlds of Fun. I didn't even try to ride roller coasters for years after that, despite how much I love them, out of not wanting to experience that again.

I've since used that as motivation, and have lost a significant amount of weight, though I am still overweight and am working on losing more.

This summer, I rode every roller coaster at Worlds of Fun - victory! However, I still required the larger seats on Patriot.

I have a family trip to Adventureland coming up and really really want to go on Monster, but am a little nervous, as WoF has no roller coasters of this type.

I currently wear a women's size 18/20 and am 5'10".

Has anyone been a larger rider, or been with a larger rider, on Monster who can tell me what sizes did or did not fit? Just wanting to avoid embarrassment if possible but still ride if possible!

Thank you.

I have deferred to the expertise of my wife, and with her permission to share all this, she says you'll probably have no trouble on Monster. She is a size 16 and has no difficulties at all on Monster and likely at an 18/20 you'll be just fine.

Thank you so much! That gives me a lot more confidence. I had been worried after googling around and seeing a report where "multiple" people ended up not able to fit to ride Monster. There was no mention of their exact size though, so this helps!