Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1875 - What's New at Haunt for 2019?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"CACTUS SHARP!!"

Re: The Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby COASTER FREAK 11 » Wed May 12, 2010 9:15 am

bgwfreak777 wrote:Hey guys,

How reliable has 305 been this season? In particular last weekend?

I'm planning on being there Saturday and hope to get a few laps as well as some Bear, Lava & Alien action.

Full queue Saturday night was only 20 minute wait and it was running both trains flawlessly. It had no issues at all the whole weekend that I saw when I was there.

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby Capitalize » Wed May 12, 2010 10:43 am

Skycoastin Steve wrote:^Here we go again with the endless CF complaints. You gotta understand, if putting a trim on a wooden coaster means cheaper maintenance costs and the ride not falling down around itself, then so be it. CF isn't the only park chain to ever trim a wooden coaster, so get the eff over it.

It operated for nearly two decades now under old management with no trims. All Cedar Fair has done with the woodies at KD is make them worse. It may cost them less money this way, but to me the fact of the matter is all of the rides are worse now and in the end that is all that matters from a guest's standpoint.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Wed May 12, 2010 10:45 am

Capitalize wrote:
Skycoastin Steve wrote:^Here we go again with the endless CF complaints. You gotta understand, if putting a trim on a wooden coaster means cheaper maintenance costs and the ride not falling down around itself, then so be it. CF isn't the only park chain to ever trim a wooden coaster, so get the eff over it.

It operated for nearly two decades now under old management with no trims. All Cedar Fair has done with the woodies at KD is make them worse. It may cost them less money this way, but to me the fact of the matter is all of the rides are worse now and in the end that is all that matters from a guest's standpoint.

Hurler is the only lousy woodie that they've just made even worse while I've got no complaints about Grizzly's performance so far under CF ownership.

Postby Capitalize » Wed May 12, 2010 10:49 am

^
My complaint with Grizzly is predominately that nearly all the woods in the interior of the ride by the turnarounds are now gone this season. It has performed on par with past seasons, thankfully.

Five babies drowned in a fire

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Wed May 12, 2010 10:58 am

Capitalize wrote:

Don't you think that the reason that Hurler is so horrible now is because it has been performing outside of its limits for the last 16 years? I highly doubt some evil person up in Sandusky said *in evil voice* "nyyaahhhh....screw Kings Dominion, we're going to put a trim on Hurler just to piss them off, nyyaahhh!!" Decisions like that are made from an economical and maintenance standpoint. Sure, it may have run without one for 16 years, but now it's a horrible, rough, uncomfortable, piece of junk. You don't think that's a coincidence, do you?

I also rode Grizzly on opening weekend and thought it was running very well. I haven't ridden Rebel Yell since CF bought the park, but I know Thunder Road at Carowinds is going to be fantastic once its 5 year rehab is finished. From what I understand, Hurler is going to get an overhaul once they are done with Thunder Road.

Postby Capitalize » Wed May 12, 2010 11:54 am

Performing outside its limits? I think a lot of it has to do with the bare minimum amount of work it has been receiving maintenance-wise over the years. I said that I can understand from a financial standpoint why they would want to trim the ride, however from my perspective as someone who simply wants to visit the park and enjoy the ride, I don't like it. Decisions can be made for the park's interests, and guests can find fault in those if they feel it results in a worse experience at the park.

Of course no one had the bright idea of deliberately making the ride worse just to annoy people, the bright idea was save X amount of dollars by needing to replace Y amount of materials over the season. The unfortunate result is a worse ride, which does annoy guests.

I'm wickedly obsessed with Ron Toomer

Postby B-RadG » Wed May 12, 2010 11:59 am

Skycoastin Steve wrote:Don't you think that the reason that Hurler is so horrible now is because it has been performing outside of its limits for the last 16 years? I highly doubt some evil person up in Sandusky said *in evil voice* "nyyaahhhh....screw Kings Dominion, we're going to put a trim on Hurler just to piss them off, nyyaahhh!!" Decisions like that are made from an economical and maintenance standpoint. Sure, it may have run without one for 16 years, but now it's a horrible, rough, uncomfortable, piece of junk. You don't think that's a coincidence, do you?

I just think that it's odd that they'd want to totally ruin a ride that only had its insane amounts of airtime going for it. Sure it cuts on maintenance costs, but now Hurler has absolutely nothing going for it. As I said earlier I overheard GP saying "That was so much slower!" If Cedar Fair really wanted to they could have retracked the entire thing, whether it be all in one year or over multiple years like Thunder Road and Rebel Yell and that would have made it better, structurally and experience-wise. I loved Hurler when it had mass amounts of airtime and I still enjoy the roughness that it has because it's not actually painful, but the no airtime thing makes me not want to ride it.

Five babies drowned in a fire

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Wed May 12, 2010 12:03 pm

^ and ^^So it's CF's fault that they inherited that crapfest of a coaster? Hurler being awful isn't CF's fault any more than SOB is. It was terrible long before CF came along. Carowinds' Hurler also has a trim at the bottom of the first drop, and the ride has actually gotten a bit smoother (along with extensive track work on the first turn). While it's killed most of the airtime hills after the first two, it's not as rough anymore. The GP is going to appreciate it not being as rough, and most of them wouldn't know what a trim brake was if it hit them in the face. I would even be willing to bet most of them don't even notice it running slower than usual.

As I said before, I do believe GCI is doing a rehab on Hurler at Carowinds once they are finished on Thunder Road, but I could be wrong. I don't know if anything more is going to be done with KD's Hurler. Maybe the trim is to save them on maintenance until they fully rehab it. But as I said before, CF is going to do what saves them money, and a majority of the GP won't know the difference in how it rain last year compared to how it's going to run this year.

I'm wickedly obsessed with Ron Toomer

Postby B-RadG » Wed May 12, 2010 12:07 pm

Skycoastin Steve wrote:^ and ^^So it's CF's fault that they inherited that crapfest of a coaster? Hurler being awful isn't CF's fault any more than SOB is. It was terrible long before CF came along.

No, but it's Cedar Fair's fault that they're nullifying one of the very few good things that it had. Hurler wasn't awful, as I said. I used to absolutely love how aggressive, not rough, and airtime-filled it was.

Postby Capitalize » Wed May 12, 2010 12:10 pm

I don't lay all the blame at CF's feet by any means, however they have been at the reigns for a few seasons now and watched the ride fall apart further. They might as well just knock it down at this point, Hercules style, as far as I'm concerned.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!