Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1875 - What's New at Haunt for 2019?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Re: The Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby haiderodes » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:35 pm

^This is why the initial burden lies on the greeter. They have to make that call as to whether or not that person is really a single or merely part of a group that has no intentions of seperating when they get to the front.
walking in space.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby CoasterNERD502 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:43 pm

Hey everybody! I'm supposedly going to KD tomorrow for my sis cheer competition and the weather says 60% chance of rain all day. Does anyone happen to know KD's bad weather policy? Will they shut down the park? Also I plan on buying my ticket online to get a discount, would they give me a refund or a ticket to come back if they close the park? Also if the park stays open, will they run the coasters? (especially Intimidator(if its open yet), Dominator, and Volcano)

Sorry for asking sooo many questions! But thanks in advance to anyone with answers :)

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby southpuddle » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:55 pm

The grouper should NEVER let singles ride together if they are indeed part of a group, or put singles together just because the single riders line is getting too long. If the SR line is taking too long, people will leave it on their own. Even at Disney when I worked at Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, our answer at grouper was simply "No, you can either split up or exit." Our managers strictly told us to not let anyone abuse the SR line. People tried all day long to skip the standby line and ride together using the SR line, claiming that they "didn't know". Really though, I don't have a problem with people using the SR line if they are indeed part of a group so long as they are willing to split up once they get to the station. It still makes the standby line shorter.

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby KDcoasterMAN » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:14 pm

^ If it is "drizzling" they will keep as many rides open as possible. It it begin to out right rain expect many closures.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby johncolon91 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:58 pm

Hello all,
This is my first post on these forums, however, I'm a long term reader of these boards. I am taking a trip down the Virginia this upcoming weekend and I'm stopping at Kings Dominion on May 1st (my birthday). I was wondering what to expect from I 305. The only other Intimans I have been on are El Toro, Kingda Ka, and Volcano. As you can see, all these coasters are really in separate categories and are hard to compare. So what I really want to know is does I 305 really give you that same feeling like El Toro does through its "twisty" area or am I trying to compare apples to oranges? Also, I'm curious to how filled up the queue gets and what the wait times are like. It sounds to me like Volcano and FOF still have longer wait times and I understand that I305 has a larger capacity. Would you say the line is about the same as Dominator?
Sorry for so many questions but I'm eager to ride my first giga and still don't know how I'm going to drag my girlfriend on it. (She cried on KK :cry: but loves El Toro :lover:)

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:03 pm

johncolon91 wrote:Hello all,
This is my first post on these forums, however, I'm a long term reader of these boards. I am taking a trip down the Virginia this upcoming weekend and I'm stopping at Kings Dominion on May 1st (my birthday). I was wondering what to expect from I 305. The only other Intimans I have been on are El Toro, Kingda Ka, and Volcano. As you can see, all these coasters are really in separate categories and are hard to compare. So what I really want to know is does I 305 really give you that same feeling like El Toro does through its "twisty" area or am I trying to compare apples to oranges? Also, I'm curious to how filled up the queue gets and what the wait times are like. It sounds to me like Volcano and FOF still have longer wait times and I understand that I305 has a larger capacity. Would you say the line is about the same as Dominator?
Sorry for so many questions but I'm eager to ride my first giga and still don't know how I'm going to drag my girlfriend on it. (She cried on KK :cry: but loves El Toro :lover:)

Hey John,

Welcome to the boards. The first thing I'd do is probably read about the last 10 pages of this thread and I think you'll find a lot of your questions may already be answered just in people's trip reports over the past few weeks with i305.

Enjoy the coaster!

--Robb

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby AnEscapeArtist » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:39 am

(I'm sorry admins if this post is a bit long as I just wanted to address an issue I've been hearing regarding SRL's lately.)
southpuddle wrote:The grouper should NEVER let singles ride together if they are indeed part of a group, or put singles together just because the single riders line is getting too long...Really though, I don't have a problem with people using the SR line if they are indeed part of a group so long as they are willing to split up once they get to the station. It still makes the standby line shorter.

So if me and a friend walk through the single rider line and 2 seats next to each other are available, we're not allowed to sit next to each other because we "know" each other? Because to me its seems like it doesn't even matter. Things are probably different at a company like Disney because I know the have their set ways, but I have had the blessing of working single rider lines in my day, and I never had an issue letting 2 people stand at the SRL and wait until 2 seats opened up next to each other. Sometimes it took 2 minutes, sometimes it took 15, sometimes they were better off waiting in the regular line, either way it was a risk on their part and I had no problem with it.

This relates to other threads where discussions regarding ride ops these days have a problem with crowd control/moving things along efficiently. As long as you communicate with guests and let them know whats going on, a SRL can be run efficiently and believe it or not even more effectively if a good ride op is staying busy and filling available seats in any way. This doesn't seem to be the case with ride-ops these days whether it be KD and other parks where this is a constant issue. Because it doesn't matter if theres a group of 4 waiting for a B&M row to open up, or a group of 2. Let them stand there and wait as long as they want, while pulling single riders in from behind them in filling in spots. Its not that complicated.

Most of the time from my experiences both working and visiting parks, some SRL groupers (and ride ops in general) are too busy riding their "high horse" of authority, and therefore restrict these practices instead of offering good "customer service," filling up trains as much as possible. In fact it I found it took less time going the extra mile and providing guests with these opportunities when it doesn't make a difference either way. Eventually, (like you said SouthPuddle) for some waiting in the SRL, if the wait begins to get too long, they just split up and ride alone anyway, but in my experience it's always nice (and not hard) to give them the OPTION of trying their luck. I wish it was this easy for all the other parks too!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:57 am

AnEscapeArtist wrote:(I'm sorry admins if this post is a bit long as I just wanted to address an issue I've been hearing regarding SRL's lately.)
southpuddle wrote:The grouper should NEVER let singles ride together if they are indeed part of a group, or put singles together just because the single riders line is getting too long...Really though, I don't have a problem with people using the SR line if they are indeed part of a group so long as they are willing to split up once they get to the station. It still makes the standby line shorter.

So if me and a friend walk through the single rider line and 2 seats next to each other are available, we're not allowed to sit next to each other because we "know" each other?

IMO, if the ride ops can't fill those two seats, *quickly* with someone else in another row, then yes, the single rider line grouper should fill those two empty seats with single riders.

The single rider line does not say that "You absoultely can not ever ever ever sit next to someone you know" it just says that you need to expect to be split up. I see it happen all the time on Test Track or Men in Black, a ride that seats 6 people, and they'll have 4 people in the car, and you end up sitting either next to your friend or in the row right behind them, but in the same vehicle.

I have had the blessing of working single rider lines in my day, and I never had an issue letting 2 people stand at the SRL and wait until 2 seats opened up next to each other. Sometimes it took 2 minutes, sometimes it took 15, sometimes they were better off waiting in the regular line, either way it was a risk on their part and I had no problem with it.

Now THIS example. IMO, this is wrong..wrong...WRONG! IMO the grouper should be removed from the ride if not flat out fired.

The grouper should not...in any circumstance...EVER let two people come up the single rider line and then hang out there and wait for two seats to open up next to each other. If this happens, these two people are just cutting in line. As someone who uses single rider lines ALL THE TIME at parks, I know damn well that if Elissa and I enter the single rider line, we're probably going to and will get split up. That's fine. That is the condition we agreed to by entering that line.

But two people asking to wait until there are seats together. That's rude and obnoxious of the guests to ask that.

And a ride op that allows it? That's even worse! It's not fair to the other riders who have stood in the normal line, and it's allowing guests to take advantage of a policy that helps increase ride capacity.

If I were an area supervisor and I saw you do that on my ride, you'd be fired. No question.

--Robb "It's just like those assholes who stand near the exit of a ride and fill in empty seats...get back in line asshole!!!" Alvey
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:01 am.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:08 am

I have to agree with Robb.

Letting people in the single rider line wait to ride together completely defeats the purpose of the single rider line. However, if it just happens to work out that way...so be it. The point of a single rider line is to fill empty seats. No ride op should ever let people in the single rider line wait for two empty seats to open up (not fair to anyone waiting in the regular line), nor should they ever not allow a group to ride together if by chance there are two open seats and no other way to fill them except through the single rider line.

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:52 pm

My take on 305,

Being that I really like intamin coasters I had been planning to get up to this thing for some time because frankly it seems very interesting. I was dreading and nervous it was gonna be like my SFGADV trip when I was eager to go and el toro was down. I dragged along my brother (more like he wanted to go badly with me) and we headed up to check it out. When we got to the park we headed right for intimidator. He's a big thrill seeker that hasnt really been to a real park lol. After reading alot on the net I really wanted to get a front seat and by luck, and me sweat talking the ride opt, we got it! The verdict of my first ride:
I loved the first drop, didnt gray out (really as someone stated "blacking out" sounds deathly), I did feel the airtime (but I was really stapled in), tried to prepare myself for the turns but wasn't that successful, and the speed was awesome.

My gripes: The OTSR, I dont care how you call them, straps...restraints...they have the same feel as traditional OTSR negatively effected the ride. They, to me, made a very very awesome intense ride less enjoyable due to being slammed into them. I read how some say they didnt get slammed at all but on my 2 rides I def was slammed and even chopped. Also the trim really hit those trains hard.

My brothers reaction: "Ouch, those turns hurt my neck!"

Suprisingly, to me, the airtime was the same on both intimidators as far as intensity. The only other similarities both coasters share, to me, are the red track and same design/theme/decal for the trains...in their respected coaster design.
IMG00012-20100410-1523.jpg
Yeah...He didnt really care for it too much lol...
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!