Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1874 - Coconut Shores coming in 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Thought "Laser Snake Horse" was real.

Postby Speeddeamon128 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:49 pm

I have a question. What does Intimidator305 have to do with NASCAR? I understand that 305 is how tall the ride is but I'm not a NASCAR fan so the name doesn't match the theme of the ride to me just the 305 part.
2010 Coaster Laps: 342
-Behemoth/Ravine Flyer II Tour 2008, East Coast Tour 2008, West Coast Tour 2009

Neil Peart makes me erect

Postby DiSab » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:50 pm

^Earnhardt's nickname was The Intimidator.

^^^Because clearly, a 305-foot tall coaster, with the lift supported only by 2 seemingly flimsy support structures (in the GP's eyes) isn't intimidating in the least. That might be TPR's Shithouse Rat Comment of the Week. :roll:

The only thing I hope is that CF and KD won't go authentic NASCAR and sell ad spots on the trains. And since the "#3" moniker is apparently owned by a company other than DEI (at least that's what I'm getting), I wonder if they'll add a 3 to the train...?

Thought "Laser Snake Horse" was real.

Postby Speeddeamon128 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:53 pm

^Thanks now I guess the name makes sense :lolr:
2010 Coaster Laps: 342
-Behemoth/Ravine Flyer II Tour 2008, East Coast Tour 2008, West Coast Tour 2009

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby CoryPa77 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:55 pm

DiSab wrote: In regards to the comment that the intense airtime hills on Maverick and Fahrenheit bruised the thighs... Uhh, wouldn't that happen with any style of lapbar - and not necessarily just from the Intamin OTSRs? I mean, both the Intamin harness/lapbars and regular lapbar-only restraints fall on the same area - the thighs. The extreme ejector air would probably have the same effect on the thighs with any type of restraint. It doesn't only happen with the OTSRs.

My only problem with the Intamin OTSRs is they bash my head pretty bad and it makes for an uncomfortable ride. I've tried them in the front, back, and it never fails. I'm only 5'7" so I know taller people won't have this problem, but unless Intamin suddenly found a way to make their transitions much smoother then I'm thinking it's going to be a head banger for me. Like someone else said, look what a difference it made once they removed from harnesses on FOF as far as ride improvement.

Other than that, I think it looks great and I think the layout is much improved over MF. I love the turn following the first drop and if this ride has low lighting at night then it could be insane.

DelGrosso's Sauce + Enterprise = VOMIT!

Postby Wood Dragon 1988 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:01 pm

Well I was expecting airtime and lap bars.....but if its anything like Maverick, it'll be pretty good.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ginzo » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:04 pm

While this by no means looks like one of Intamin's finest projects, I still see a trip out to Deliverance country in my plans next year.
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby palavos3 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:05 pm

Another thing I hate sharp curves close to the ground on a ride which is probably why I like MF better than S ROS SFNE. Boy I'll tell you. I never thought I would be disappointed in a giga coaster, but this does it. I mean in time you are supposed to move forward. Improve on things. Not only did they make the ride shorter in height and length, they took away the overbanked turns and tunnels. This coaster looks DEPRESSING! It really does!

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby redfoot12 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:08 pm

ginzo wrote:While this by no means looks like one of Intamin's finest projects, I still see a trip out to Deliverance country in my plans next year.

You're going to Georgia? This coaster's in Virginia.

Neil Peart makes me erect

Postby DiSab » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:09 pm

^^Oh yes, 5 feet shorter than MF and no overbanks or tunnels. What were they thinking?!? This ride is totally going to be a dud.

Can we please stop judging it from the animations and wait until we ride it before we go around saying its an awful ride?

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby CoryPa77 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:12 pm

palavos3 wrote:I never thought I would be disappointed in a giga coaster, but this does it. I mean in time you are supposed to move forward. Improve on things. Not only did they make the ride shorter in height and length, they took away the overbanked turns and tunnels. This coaster looks DEPRESSING! It really does!

I think a lot of people will agree that a taller, faster and longer doesn't necessarily mean better. SROS wasn't as big as MF when it opened, yet there's a huge number of people that prefer it to MF.

I prefer the Raven at Holiday World to a lot of other larger rides and Manta at Sea World is a better ride than Tatsu in my opinion.

In my opinion, MF has no airtime and this ride at least looks like it'll have some, so that's an improvement.

Another thing, according to Intamin, MF's lift is 308'. So technically this ride is only 3 feet shorter than that. However, I've heard this ride is actually going to be 307', but for marketing purposes they decided to announce 305'...

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!