Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1875 - What's New at Haunt for 2019?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
CoasterPrince09

Postby CoasterPrince09 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:05 pm

Call me a meth-whore who lives off of voided welfare checks but this coaster is a 300 ft. Kawasemi with the exception of the last few turns. Everything matches up. KD should be grateful...I wouldn't want one of these at Gadv but still....be grateful. ;)

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:06 pm

^Why wouldn't you want one of these at Great Adventure...?

Way Close to Knoebels!

Postby Josh Linn » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:10 pm

My only concern is the sharp transitions. When I rode El Toro, I got a headache from being jerked from one side to the other during that ending segment. I'll just have to pop a few Drammamine before riding I guess.

Please Nuderstand This Mozart67. It's Something!

Postby Mozart67 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:10 pm

Great POV...I wish I had that prog...Having never gone on anything taller than Bizarro, something like this would probably make me scream like a 6-year-old girl watching "Hellraiser." Great addition to the park though, and if I work my courage up (or refill my Valium scrip), I'll h ave to try it.

Scott

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby testtrack321 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:11 pm

Seems like some things, including restraints and some supports, have changed since they made the models, computer layouts, and such. Lets wait for more updates in the photos and such before we start throwing bricks.

BTW, can they just use this jokingly "excess" paint that they're using ALL of the new coasters and use it to repaint TTD? It's faded horribly now.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:18 pm

Just a thought I've had that's almost completly unrelated to the new ride. Kings Dominion and Kings Island are 2 parks that are fairly comparable, but recently KD has been the 1 upper of sorts. Kings island gets a used Vekoma Flyer Dominion gets a used B&M floorles, advantage dominion. Kings Island gets a new B&M speed coaster, Dominion gets a new Intamin Giga, while the jury is still out I'd be willing to bet come next May it'll be advantage Dominion as well with that. Just a thought.

But the ride looks awesome, while the recent trend has shyed away from building bigger taller faster, I'm glad to see someone build another big coaster, can't wait.

Maybe instead of a single rider they'll have a rednecks only line, or maybe a " Shoes, Shirt, and Jorts must be worn at all times" sign.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby ManiaMuse » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:27 pm

I wonder how they'll construct the lift on this thing with the super efficient truss support structure. It looks very clever to me the way it arches over so that at the station end it goes straight into the ground and at the other it curves over into the big support, but surely it won't be that stable before it is complete and the track/truss structure probably weighs a lot as well. Like it seems as if there are about 4? track pieces up until the middle support and then another 3? until the drop support. It just seems like a really big span to construct.

Then again I'm no engineer and you see crazy bridges and viaducts under construction that look like they should be falling down and maybe the truss structure is really that strong or they'll support it with wires. Or perhaps the middle support connection is at the centre of that track piece so the gaps aren't quite as big as I'm making out.

Anyway I just think the minimalist support structure is really striking compared to MF's huge towers!

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby redfoot12 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:28 pm

The more I look at the layout, the more I like it. I can't really comment on the restraints because I don't know how that will play out. I've commented elsewhere that I felt like KD would end up getting MF's little brother. I've never ridden but MF but it seems like more is going on in this 5100 feet than MF's 6500. I'm sure my outlook may change from now until opening day, but for now I'm pretty excited. CF Platinum Pass for me in 2010!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:29 pm

ManiaMuse wrote:I wonder how they'll construct the lift on this thing with the super efficient truss support structure. It looks very clever to me the way it arches over so that at the station end it goes straight into the ground and at the other it curves over into the big support, but surely it won't be that stable before it is complete and the track/truss structure probably weighs a lot as well. Like it seems as if there are about 4? track pieces up until the middle support and then another 3? until the drop support. It just seems like a really big span to construct.

Then again I'm no engineer and you see crazy bridges and viaducts under construction that look like they should be falling down and maybe the truss structure is really that strong or they'll support it with wires. Or perhaps the middle support connection is at the centre of that track piece so the gaps aren't quite as big as I'm making out.

Anyway I just think the minimalist support structure is really striking compared to MF's huge towers!

My guess is they'll put up the support towers first, then add track to each side, meeting in the middle.

Way Close to Knoebels!

Postby Josh Linn » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:29 pm

This could possibly be the last giga we see. I really can't think of a park that would be a feasible location for one that doesn't already have a hyper or something similar. Now of course that didn't stop Cedar Point from doing it, but they're a special case, IMO. This is very unique and I think we're lucky to have been around when these were announced.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!