Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1880 - Winterfest preview
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby JG-77 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:57 am

Thanks! Looking forward to my visit this afternoon!
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:40 am

Introducing Coconut Shores
Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 1.39.39 PM.png

New Area Coming in 2020
Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 1.39.46 PM.png

We're making waves in 2020 with three exciting additions to our water park! Our newly redesigned area, Coconut Shores, provides the perfect place for families to cool down and have fun. Kids of all ages can explore their way to the top of Lighthouse Landing, a 45-ft tall multi-level aqua play structure featuring hundreds of interactive elements for a splashtastic time. The little ones can find their own piece of paradise at Sand Dune Lagoon, a 3,000 square foot wave pool with playful 1-foot tall waves and interactive splash elements. And, a new dining experience showcasing a variety of flavors designed by our executive chef will bring families together for a relaxing meal.
Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 1.39.53 PM.png

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Dombot » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:48 am

This looks awesome! I've always loved these giant slide complexes. A kiddie wave pool is a genius idea too.
1. Intimidator 305 2. Kumba 3. Twisted Timbers 4. Goliath (SFoG) 5. Mako
6. Twisted Cyclone 7. Alpengeist 8. Mine Blower 9. Montu 10. Incredible Hulk

"If you trip me I will crumble and fall because I am a poorly structured building" ~Carson King

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby coasternut79 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:18 am

Thinking about a last minute trip to KD this weekend before my kid starts school. We have a platinum pass from Carowinds this year since we visited CP earlier in the summer and thought why not try and take advantage of the free admission. The problem is we would only be able to be at the park on Saturday and of course I'm worried about the crowds. Would they be unbearable this late in the summer? What kind of wait times for the major coasters can I expect?

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby coasternut79 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:22 pm

I was thinking about taking an impromptu road trip with my son to KD this weekend and take advantage of having a Cedar Fair platinum pass. The problem is we would be at the park on Saturday. Any idea if the lines for the major coasters will be horrible or if I would have to buy a fastlane+?

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby kirkf1tz » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:03 pm

At the park this past Sunday, it appears work on the old wave pool is happening very carefully. The concrete along the drain of the zero entry was torn open to create a trough. Temporary 2x4 railings are affixed around the mechanical room, and there is orange spray paint along walls at a single elevation.

The new wave pool is crowded on just moderate days, so hopefully the old one is just getting a re-model.

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby hendrixmarshalljames » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:44 pm

The singing mushrooms were calling me. So we're coming next weekend. A little butt clenching for the best giga drop is a small price to pay. Plus airfare, and hotel, and rental car, passes, food, ride photos, funnel cake, and beer. What a great hobby!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby coasternut79 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:03 am

Ended up making it up to KD Friday and Saturday for our first visit to the park. I305...wow, just wow. I had it in my head that the whole "grey out" thing was kind of an urban legend but the first time around that helix I could barely see by the time we topped the first camelback! My 10 year loved it and said it happened to him as well. Overall this coaster was firmly in my top 10 but it's not a truly fun ride or re-rideable might be a better way to put it. It was without a doubt the most intense coaster I've ever been on (haven't ridden Skyrush yet).

I absolutely loved Twisted Timbers. What a fun ride! The back is the place to be on this one. Got several rides throughout the two days and couldn't get enough. The airtime is great and the laterals and inversions are just icing on the cake. Only downside was the loading times. They were horrible. I felt bad for the ride ops because they were doing everything they could but between all the safety precautions and the public not following directions and having to take up time to re-do their lap bar or put something away they aren't supposed to have on the ride the dispatches were taking 2 to 3 minutes per train. Ugh.

Overall, I liked the park and the other coaster were solid. I liked Dominator's unique layout and Racer, Stuntcoaster and FOF were good as well. All in all a good trip!

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby coneyislandchris » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:50 am

^After several years of riding 305, I had my first grey-out on it this weekend as well. The major difference between the past and now is for the first time I'm taking blood pressure medication. I'm guessing that probably had something to do with it. Still a great ride though!
That coaster dad [340] and that coaster kiddo [222]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Twisted Timbers. Intimidator 305. El Toro.

Kiddo's faves: Talon. Alpengeist. Raptor. TMNT Shellraiser. Fury 325.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:54 pm

If y’all just clench your butthole you won’t grey out. It’s science.

Also, I don’t even like IPAs but this is awesome and more parks should do this. I’m looking forward to trying it in a few weeks.
7B37ECD1-9597-4663-ACDC-792AC40505DA.jpeg

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!