Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1875 - What's New at Haunt for 2019?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 11 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:11 pm

These seasonal events really seem to be catching on at regional parks now too. Great report!
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Knoebels & Dutch Wonderland

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Mike240SX » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:52 pm

Great review Chuck!

I was at the park on Saturday too, and caught the parade show down in Candy Apple Grove. It really impressed me, especially how long the parade route is, though the same song blaring over and over must get on employee's nerves. At least it was a catchy song.
KD GC Parade.jpg

Also, Tomb Raider/The Crypt's fire effects were working. Can't remember the last time I'd seen that. It looks like the whole pool at the bottom is full of some sort of flammable liquid the way the flames were dancing on it.
DSC_0771.JPG

DSC_0772.JPG

EDIT: YouTube is being a pain in the ass with rotating the video. Any thoughts?
-Mike
Total Coasters: 134
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Satans Hockey » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:03 am

I was at the park today, Carnivale is a great addition, we really enjoyed it and I hope they make this a yearly thing.

Twisted Timbers is just so much damn fun. My first time experiencing the new metal detector system they have running and the pouches on the ride fit my keys and phone no problem.

My only complaint is that it takes them so long to get out a train because of the way they have to check everything that I wished they built a what's in the shed for this like mystic Timbers since it would beat roasting in the sun.

It's really weird being at the park without seeing Volcano. Riding the bobsled ride gives a great look at into all the open space they have there now. I'm really curious to see what they end up doing with it.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:10 am

Mike240SX wrote:Great review Chuck!

I was at the park on Saturday too, and caught the parade show down in Candy Apple Grove. It really impressed me, especially how long the parade route is, though the same song blaring over and over must get on employee's nerves. At least it was a catchy song.

I went to the Eiffel Tower because I guessed the parade would end up there eventually. But I think they need to make sure that guests know the parade route. Even just an announcement saying that it starts in Candy Apple Grove and ends up by the Eiffel Tower would've helped.

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby coneyislandchris » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:40 am

This looks amazing and definitely what I was hoping for. Since it's only running until the 7th, the family and I booked a trip down there for this upcoming weekend, since we have prior commitments next weekend and the following as well-- only to find out that it's the same weekend as KingsFest (not again!?!). Here's hoping it's not too crazy and crowded like the last time I was there on KingsFest weekend...
That coaster dad [335] and that coaster kiddo [212]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Twisted Timbers. Intimidator 305. El Toro.

Kiddo's faves: Talon. Alpengeist. Copperhead Strike. Twisted Timbers. Fury 325.

Postby coneyislandchris » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:50 pm

Well, don't have to worry about that^ now -- 3 out of 4 of us falling ill has caused us to postpone our plans for this weekend. So I guess the KingsFest crowd won't have to be a factor in our plans for when we visit.

That being said, the only other time we have free in our upcoming schedule is across the 4th of July break, so it looks like we get to brave the crowds from the 3rd to the 5th (before driving back up north for a close friend's wedding on Saturday, the 6th). So I guess we're just trading in on one set of craziness for another. Where's that dang Fast Lane money I've set aside...
That coaster dad [335] and that coaster kiddo [212]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Twisted Timbers. Intimidator 305. El Toro.

Postby Mike240SX » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:08 pm

In my experience, parks don't get too crazy for 4th of July when its in the middle of the week (like it is this year). You may luck out and not need FL.
-Mike
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Postby coneyislandchris » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:53 pm

Mike240SX wrote:In my experience, parks don't get too crazy for 4th of July when its in the middle of the week (like it is this year). You may luck out and not need FL.

That's what I'm hoping at least. It was surprisingly easy to book a hotel room (and considerably cheaper than it was for this weekend, no less). Keeping those fingers crossed though.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby CoasterAuditor » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:46 am

https://twitter.com/KingsDominionVA/status/1147167550888992768

Looks like KD has a waterpark expansion in the works for next year. That's exciting definitely needed after Tornado was removed. (*ducks under table for inevitable irrational people complaining about Volcano not being replaced immediately*)
I'm an accountant that's obsessed with roller coasters
Knoebels > Everywhere

1. El Toro 2. Intimidator 305 3. Phoenix 4. Millennium Force 5. New Texas Giant

118 Coasters
16 Parks

Postby Mike240SX » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:28 am

That wave pool (they have two) has been closed all year; now we know why. It's also located at the very back of the water park, with absolutely nothing but trees behind it, so the possibilities are endless.
-Mike

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!