Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1870 - Grand Carnivale at Kings Dominion
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
What's with the donkeys anyway?

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby BDD27 » Sun May 12, 2019 10:17 am

Here's a quick little trip report from Saturday. Since this weekend was mainly about Busch Gardens I only spent about 4 hours at Kings Dominion before the rain came in, but I managed to get on everything.

At opening I went right to Avalanche since it has such a low capacity and the line tends to move slow. It worked out as I managed to be front row on the first train of the day! I'm glad this ride is still around as it is a fun little ride, although the view from the lift has changed a bit.

From here I hit Anaconda and of course, it had no line, but I love this ride so I can't complain. STILL NO WATER EFFECTS THOUGH. Following this was Timmy which never gets old. It was already warmed up really early in the morning and running incredibly fast you can't deny the love for the twistyness!

Next up was twisted timbers, which was hauling as usual. The metal detector system was interesting and now uses green and red cards instead of stamps. Regardless of this system the ride ops didn't seem to actually check at all if people actually put phones and keys in the pouches, so while I hope this policy works out I cannot be certain

From here I hit Apple Zapple and Grizzly. Apple Zapple always seems to have a bit of a line so I normally pass on it, but my girlfriend had never been on it so we took the wait. On the other hand Grizzly was hauling and running much better than it was during my last rides in the beginning of April.

At this point it was time for Flight of Fear which is a personal favorite of mine. Flight of Fear seems to run very consistently and always well, but I definitely recommend the front over the back. The 15 minute wait was made shorter through meeting another coaster nerd who understands the language my girlfriend doesn't :lmao:. We then went to hit Dominator, but it had a bit of a line so Rebel Racer 75 Yell it was. I must say this ride has become.... let's just say interesting. The ride is about half retracked at this point so you get moments of super smooth sailing followed by jarring bumping and then back to smoothness. I'm glad it is being maintained though as I would hate to see it go the way of Thunder Road.

The final ride of the day was Dominator which in the front row is actually pretty good! and I didn't get as much rattling as I did in the back last month, which is definitely a plus. At this point it started raining a bit so I hit the shops to appease my pin collecting habit.
IMG_20190511_111255.jpg
What was once a horrid sight has become a thing of beauty
IMG_20190511_123549.jpg
Definitely a front row ride
IMG_20190511_142938.jpg
It looks like the eiffel tower repaint is almost complete
IMG_20190511_143400.jpg
And finally since this is a short report here are the remains of the extinct volcano, there really isn't much left anymore basically just the station

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun May 12, 2019 12:22 pm

Nice report! RIP Volcano.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Canobie Lake Park & Six Flags New England- Goliath Only

Postby prozach626 » Sun May 12, 2019 12:36 pm

Thanks for sharing.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby BDD27 » Sun May 12, 2019 1:04 pm

^ Anytime guys I enjoy doing trip reports I try to get out to a park at least once every 2 weeks it's just a little tough being the only coaster nerd in my friend group :lmao: I need to branch out

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby Married a Canadian » Sun May 12, 2019 1:20 pm

When I'm really skeptical of crowds, I usually try to give it until noon to make my decision, which almost always... well... always... ends up in favor of FL+. If you're like me, shaving 10-20 minutes off of queues to parks I rarely visit is worth it. It will probably be worth it for TT, alone if RMC hybrids are your thing.

I'm with you on that, and I think this will be the way we approach it.

I have only been on Iron Rattler on the RMC front and LOVED it, so very much looking forward to TT. It will be my son's first time on an RMC coaster (he wasn't quite ready when we were in Texas) but now is super excited! He wants to go to Dollywood next year to ride Lightning Rod! I better start planning!

I agree that for the big rides Fastlane plus is the way to go..especially if it means re-rides later in the day. We always budget for it anyway. Will let you know how it works out. Thankyou for the advice.
Top Rides:
1 X2 2 Tatsu 3 Twisted Timbers 4 Apollo's Chariot 5 Skyrush 6 Maverick 7 Iron Rattler 8 Leviathan (front row) 9 Phantom's Revenge 10 Millennium Force 11 Manta 12 Saw The ride 13 Mako

Postby bert425 » Sun May 12, 2019 5:44 pm

Married a Canadian wrote:
The main reason to get FastLane Plus was Volcano and now that's out of the equation

Don't remind me!! My son has already asked me to confirm whether Volcano really is done for good!! My fault for not getting to KD earlier!! We are both consoled with I305 and Twisted Timbers though...which are the two rides we are most looking forward to.

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it....and I will take the wait and see approach. I pretty much figured that it would be similar to Canada when the kids are still in school, but always good to get the local and expert opinion.

don't forget "Apple Zapple". . it really is a very fun wild mouse.

and racer 75 was running awesome when we were there last summer. . . smooth as glass.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby ZombiePope » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:13 pm

It’s been a couple weeks since I walked down near Volcano but it’s completely gone now. Only part the remains is the mountain bit over Avalanche’s exit and the main queue building/gift shop.

There was a sign teasing a “new expedition” on the fence in front of the old entrance. Otherwise it’s just a big, empty gravel lot with a few, big concrete slabs left.
DC60D3F9-B23A-4A0A-8A21-5BF6E9E5791E.jpeg
RIP

Postby coasterbill » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:42 am

Does it look like they're keeping the station and queue at this point? I wouldn't blame them.

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby palmerleeberry » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:32 am

Many years ago I once wrote that the only thing Volcano needs right now is some kind of scenery when the coaster hits the final brake run, something like a lava river the train passes over before entering the station other than the boring, empty area.

Sadly, that whole area is now boring and empty - for now. The next speculation game we will all be playing is . . . WHAT'S GOING IN THERE NEXT?. If they took everything except the station, the queue, and the gift shop, then it has to be logical that they are going to add something in that area, and I don't think it would be a flat ride. Methinks it will be a coaster just like Kennywood's Sky Rocket. Three reasons methinks so: 1) No other park nearby has that type of coaster, 2) That coaster can fit in such a small footprint, and 3) Kings Dominion could use another launch coaster to replace the old launch coaster it had taken out. Allow me to add reason #4: I think that type of coaster would be so cool for Kings Dominion to have.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:43 am

^ Busch Gardens has Tempesto just an hour down the road so I don't think they'd go with a Sky Rocket II clone. They still have two launch coasters in Flight of Fear and Backlot so I don't think they're hurting in that department.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Canobie Lake Park & Six Flags New England- Goliath Only

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!