Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1875 - What's New at Haunt for 2019?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby steamedturtle » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:04 pm

i305isdaddy wrote:I really wish parks would just push the zippered shorts option. I've been wearing zippered shorts to parks for 15 years now and I've never had to worry about a single loose article.

They could even sell some $15 athletic shorts w/ zipped pockets at the entrance gift store. It ain't rocket science. This new reality of extreme airtime (thanks RMC and Intamin!) and everyone needing an iPhone at all times has led to a need for some creative solutions.

This. A thousand million times this. There could at the very minimum be a zippered shorts or jacket exception. But parks will often simply cater to the lowest common denominator.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby JG-77 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:38 pm

The problem parks have with that isn't the zipper magically unzipping and the phone flying out: the problem is people putting their phones in their pockets, and as soon as they're dispatched they whip their phones out and start filming, and then the phones fly out of their hands.

I've seen it happen several times (people filming on rides, not necessarily them losing their phone), once it was even the person sitting next to me on S:ROS @ SFA (luckily I was able to convince him that it wasn't worth the risk before the ride began).
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:05 pm

People ruin everything. I'm impressed they're trying this option instead of just defaulting back to mandatory fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Gardaland & Mirabilandia

Postby coasterbill » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:People ruin everything. I'm impressed they're trying this option instead of just defaulting back to mandatory fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo.

Same.

Postby prozach626 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:54 am

"Pardon me, sir. May I check your pockets to see if you have functioning zippers?"

"Sorry, but your buttoned pants don't meet the zipper pants requirement. Feel free to purchase our $15 'Ride and Wear' pants package at the front desk, where Fastlane Plus is sold."

Yeah, sounds like a great idea.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby bill_s » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:17 am

I've had a zipper come open more than once and had to stop using it. Some seats (I305) seem determined to push stuff around in your pockets. Velcro seems more common and isn't as automatic as it seems. And then there was the time I thought my phone was in the car.

I kind of hate this development, but also have had experiences that show it could be needed.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:57 am

I usually have my phone, keys, and wallet in a zippered pocket and my camera in a Velcro pocket. I trust the zipper on all rides, but I am leery on the extreme airtime coasters with Velcro.

Postby coasterbill » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:58 am

We’re in line for Twisted Timbers now... it’s actually pretty clever.

If you set it off you get a red handstamp, if not you get a blue one. The ride ops check handstamps as they check the train and if you have one then they make sure you put your phone in the pouch. They get people through the metal detector quickly because you don’t need to clear it without setting it off, if you set it off they just stamp you and move on.

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:15 am

Glad to hear they've sorted things out!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:43 am

^^ Glad they thought it out!

Out of curiosity, are the pouches big enough to fit a wallet as well as phones and keys? I remember the ones at SFMM on Twisted Colossus being pretty tight.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!