Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

P. 1882: The Crypt officially closed
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby CoasterNerd87 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:32 am

I've got my popcorn popped waiting on Coasterbill to stir the pot...

In all seriousness, the news sucks but not surprising. Seeing all these people on Facebook losing their minds is pretty crazy. My favorites are the ones who mention that it always had a long line which is why they can't get rid of it. It had a long line because capacity was so bad. My personal opinion was it was amazing for what it was. After having ridden it the first time, if the wait was more than 30 minutes, it was a skip for me. Most times you can get two rides on Intimidator to one on Volcano. It is iconic and was groundbreaking.

I'm sure there's something up their sleeve and there is that GPS teaser that we haven't heard anything more about. This will surely speed up any plans for the future that they have.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby WolfBobs » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:42 am

Not to shocked to hear this news as I first started to hear some whispers about it being removed in December. Just didn't take them to seriously. Take it with a grain of salt, but from the whispers it had a lot to due with stress fractures on the track, supports and bolts. And was just ungodly expensive to repair. True? Untrue? Idk, but sounds reasonable now that they officially announced it's removal. Hopefully more information will come out with time.

Sigh, another credit left on the table. On my 4 lifetime visits to KD the ride was closed all day each visit. Definitely bummed I missed this one.

I do wonder if they plan on keeping the mountain for future plans or if the whole thing will come down with the ride itself.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby scooterdoug » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:04 pm

Well, this sucks. I'm grateful I got to ride it back in 2014. I was always intrigued by this ride. I bought a Fast Lane + and got several front row rides on it. I'm really thankful for that. Like others have said, while not amazing, it was unique and fun.
Aikido: Why fight when you can flow?

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:28 pm

Here's some footage we shot a couple of years ago including a reverse POV that I don't think we ever posted....

And this right here would be my thoughts exactly...
CoasterNerd87 wrote:In all seriousness, the news sucks but not surprising
Last edited by robbalvey on Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:29 pm.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby jlp94 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:49 pm

^ Just a question based on your personal experience, Robb, but how well had it aged over the years for you? I mean, you used to live nearby so I'd imagine you know the coaster well.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby Mike240SX » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:11 pm

I'm not Robb, but I can answer. I've been riding it every year for the past 8+ years, including 2018 before it closed, and it hadn't degraded at all during that time. In that time it's always had issues and from 2010-2017 it was "one ride only on FL+" and always had a substantial line.

I have to admit I'm not happy about this at all. Volcano was in my top 10 steel coasters just for that launch and the uniqueness of the ride. I'm definitely sad to see it go and am happy I was able to get a ride in this past year.

On the plus side, at least it wasn't Avalanche too.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 145
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Fury 325, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby CarolinaJay » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:19 pm

Sooo, to replace Volcano, yet still pay homage to it, I say they do a Mack (or Intamin again...) launch coaster and name it "Vulcan" which was the god of fire, volcanos, and metalworking. See the concept here? :b

Former captain of the Arrow bus.

Postby Erik Johnson » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:26 pm

cfc wrote:While this announcement is sad, it isn't very surprising. I think the law of diminishing returns finally caught up with Volcano. I'll miss this unique coaster, which I always had to ride first thing in the morning before the days of Fast Lane Plus. Those two launches were incredible.

I guess I have been lucky to have been able to get in quite a few rides of it over the years. Our purchase of the Fast Lane Plus passes last April proved to be a wise decision. Who knew that they would be our final front row rides on the ride?

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Ed Farmer » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:00 pm

Ouch. I visited Kings Dominion for the first time this past summer and thought the park was great. Volcano standing there dormant was a definite bummer, though. I had tentative plans to give it another shot this year, but I'll likely put it off for the time being.
Been you to have any spike, man?

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby Married a Canadian » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:25 pm

don't skip Racer. ..the retracking they did had it running AMAZING in the summer of 2018.
(sure it's just an out and back racing woodie. . but man, was it fun. . and in the rain it was *flying*)

Thanks Bert, your advice for Kennywood was spot on last year, so we will definitely be doing "Racer". While it is disappointing that Volcano will be gone, we picked KD for this years trip (along with BGW) because they have an excellent line up of rides. I'll be on this thread in a month or so asking for further tips and general preferences.

We have our Florida trip coming up in a week, so I haven't really turned my attention to our June schedule yet. The Volcano news just caught my eye this morning....and given that my son wanted to ride it, I had to break the news to him this morning! At the moment he is more focussed on "Rip RIde Rockit" and "Hulk" at a certain park in Orlando. I am focussed on dressing up as a princess in the upcoming races in Disney (seriously!!). KD will soon be my focus after I let my inner princess out!
Top Rides:
1 X2 2 Tatsu 3 Twisted Timbers 4 Apollo's Chariot 5 Skyrush 6 Maverick 7 Iron Rattler 8 Leviathan (front row) 9 Phantom's Revenge 10 Millennium Force 11 Manta 12 Saw The ride 13 Mako

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!