Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

P. 1882: The Crypt officially closed
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby Vonni » Fri May 12, 2017 11:20 pm

AstrumSpark wrote:Why are you guys all of a sudden hating inversions?

I don't hate inversions. I would just like a little variety. As of right now, NTAG is the only I-Box conversion that doesn't have inversions. It is all about extreme airtime. Something I'd like to see again.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby bill_s » Sat May 13, 2017 5:51 am

^^-- I think KD is going to be more concerned with variety from their other coasters than to other RMCs. A wood coaster with inversions is most obvious. The biggest difference from other RMCs is, as usual, the starting point. The technique is looking a bit different already.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby ZeroG001 » Sat May 13, 2017 6:56 am

I love inversions on RMC's. The two on Twisted Colossus are my favorite in the entire park at SFMM cause you fly through them and get some awesome hang time in the top gun stall. I think on these models as well it definitely adds variety to the experience since you're still getting plenty of airtime on these rides, regardless of whether they have inversions.

Postby Keetz » Sun May 14, 2017 11:29 am

Took a trip to the park on Saturday. The weather forecast was 62 and overcast, which was great because I hate hot Virginia days.

Bought a ticket+fastlane plus combo during cyber Monday, and decided to use it even though the park was not too crowded for a Saturday. We rolled into the park at 1 pm and stayed till close. Not having to get there at opening is why I will pay for FL+. Most of the crowd were school kids for a music festival. I would say the ratio of kids to adults was 15:1. It looks like this festival is going for the next few weekends. Most lines were nonexistent probably because of the forecast, save Volcano at 45 mins, Flight of Fear at 30+ mins, and Backlot at 25 mins, which I expected.

At the end of the day I got 11 rides on i305, 3 rides in the front on Volcano, 4 rides on Dominator, and was able to hit everything else in the park except Shenandoah because it was too cold, and i'm clearly not worthy to ride.

I went to Carowinds a few weeks ago and got 15 rides on Fury. Not that it really matters, but I can now confidently say that I prefer Intimidator 305. Fury 325 gets high marks for being a very well rounded coaster experience that is great for re-rides. However you really only get the full experience in the front. Intimidator 305 is just insane, and it doesn't matter what seat you sit in. I think the drop in the back seat has the best airtime for a giga coaster. Up until the trim brake, the pacing of the ride is unmatched. The positive G's, airtime, and insane laterals always leave me with the biggest smile on my face. I don't care that i305 is dropped into a field, y'all can have Fury.

Overall the operations were pretty great yesterday. The crews on Rebel Yell, Grizzly, Dominator, and i305 were exceptionally good. All were running two trains, and hitting very fast dispatch times. At night i305 was killing it.

Oh and RMC Hurler. Lots of track missing, nothing crazy new to report, you can spot some new RMC track through the woods on Grizzly. I'm excited to see how this project turns out.
| Lightning Rod | Skyrush | El Toro | Intimidator 305 | Maverick |

Postby Superbatboy » Sun May 14, 2017 1:31 pm

Keetz wrote: y'all can have Fury.

We'll take it :p
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

Postby DILinator » Sun May 14, 2017 2:03 pm

Superbatboy wrote:
Keetz wrote: y'all can have Fury.

We'll take it :p

Ditto! Seriously... I haven't ridden I305, but I'll be shocked if it dethrones Fury from my #1, based on what I've seen of it, and heard about it from others, and what I've experienced on Fury - without even getting a mythical front row ride (thanks Cedar Fair for your Communist seating policies!). But plenty of back row rides on Fury kicked everything that could be kicked on a coaster from my experience, and I305 will have its work cut out for it whenever I get back out to KD! (Hopefully next year!)

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby CP Maverick » Sun May 14, 2017 2:15 pm

I-305 is a child of Millennium Force and Maverick.
Original Maverick '99

Postby DILinator » Sun May 14, 2017 2:22 pm

CP Maverick wrote:I-305 is a child of Millennium Force and Maverick.

Which are two of my favorite coasters, so I'm sure I'll love it! But more than Fury? To my eye, it just looks like Fury "does more", at least vertically, and isn't so much about the fast "twistiness", I-305. While I enjoy that part of Maverick, it's not my favorite part of the coaster. My personal taste on coasters is more about up and down motion, than side to side. But I guess we'll see... Maybe I'll be blown away when I eventually get to ride it!

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

Postby Keetz » Sun May 14, 2017 2:55 pm

IMO Fury 325 does offer one of the most complete rides out there. It offers such a variety of elements. Awesome drop, speed, some decent twisty, sideways airtime, and ending airtime. Probably the best ride B&M has ever built. It's truly a best in class ride.

i305 on the other hand... pure speed, blackout inducing positives, crazy laterals, breakneck pacing... so much that it's almost stupid. This on paper loses to Fury 325. But the unrelenting intensity is what sells it for me. I'll admit, when I first saw the design for i305 I thought it was kinda stupid. I thought "a 305 foot tall coaster that just does a bunch of turns... lame." After riding it over the years , I realize that I like my coasters to give me a blackout, or give me lightly sore thighs from airtime. I just lucky that I live within a 3 hour drive from Fury and i305. Cedar Fair blessed the south with two great Giga coasters for us to argue about.
| Lightning Rod | Skyrush | El Toro | Intimidator 305 | Maverick |

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby CP Maverick » Sun May 14, 2017 2:59 pm

As someone who wasn't blown away by Fury or I-305, they feel different enough to suggest it's like comparing Valravn to Diamondback. They fill different roles for ride experience, even if they seem similar based on numbers.
Original Maverick '99

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!