Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1875 - What's New at Haunt for 2019?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby CedarFanboy » Sun May 07, 2017 7:20 am

Track on the lift is coming off of Hurler.
20170506_182342.jpg

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby mjollner » Sun May 07, 2017 8:23 am

Anyone in the richmond area wanna come to KD with me today? My whole travrlparty bailed.. . And I find little enjoyment going by myself. The ticket would be my treat.

EDIT: offer expired.
Last edited by mjollner on Sun May 07, 2017 10:24 am.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby bgtlover » Sun May 07, 2017 9:41 am

KBrylczyk wrote:Alright, someone that lives in Virginia should know better than me. We're thinking of doing a 2-day trip to hit Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens on May 29th and 30th. Am I a complete and total psychopath thinking of visiting the park on Memorial Day? Should we just wait an extra week and hit the parks on June 5th and 6th?

You would be insane to go to either of those parks on Memorial Day...even with a Fast Lane/Quick Queue. I would suggest going the following week (June 5 & 6). The main school districts in both areas will still be in session, so those days will have lighter crowds and provide many more re-rides without need for any fast pass.
Coaster Count: 130
Top 10:

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Sun May 07, 2017 9:52 am

^ Completely disagree.

Memorial Day weekend you will definitely want to avoid unless you buy skip the line passes. We have been to BGE on Memorial Day and the park was absolutely dead. And the following day (the 30th) all kids will be back to school and the parents will be back to work.

We did KD on that Tuesday and everything was pretty much a walk-on. To the point where we actually left around 6:00 because we had ridden everything multiple times and were simply ready to hit the road.

You're definitely not crazy for going on those two days - that's actually a great plan that I would encourage!
Last edited by Philrad71 on Sun May 07, 2017 10:59 am.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby knaiwear » Sun May 07, 2017 10:02 am

^I agree, Memorial Day itself is typically not that bad - lots of people have wrapped up their vacation and are heading home. It may not be dead but it won't be packed to the gills either.

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:37 am

We're planning a three-night (1.5 - 2 days at the park) trip this weekend. What are the absolute cheapest hotels in the area that are somewhat bearable to stay at for three nights? I'm not super high maintenance when it comes to hotels, but I also have standards (safety, not smelling awful, no bugs, etc) and I like hotels with breakfast. I noticed there are a few Days Inn hotels for around $70 a night, any of the ones cheaper seemed risky but if someone has had good experiences with them, let me know!
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Postby Philrad71 » Mon May 08, 2017 4:07 pm

^ We stayed at the Days Inn across the street from KD and had no issues with it.

Clean, reasonably priced and a free shuttle to the park - although we had to wait about a 1/2 hour for it because it was early season and they didn't have the staffing.

Definitely not a Hampton, but serviceable.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby AstrumSpark » Thu May 11, 2017 3:43 am

What do you guys think of this concept?

https://youtu.be/rzeZMsxoMck
1.Fury 325 2.Intimidator 305 3.Apollo's Chariot 4.El Toro 5.Millennium Force 6.Diamondback 7.Skyrush 8.Maverick 9.Phantom's Revenge 10.Volcano

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Thu May 11, 2017 6:47 am

I, for one, hope that it doesn't have the inverting drop. I'd prefer a steep-as-sh*t straight down first drop. Also that video has a lot of inversions. Not that I'm against that but I'd rather more airtime hills.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Keetz » Thu May 11, 2017 12:18 pm

How does Kings Dominion usually do with rain? The forecast for Saturday calls for 60 degrees and rain until 1 or 2pm. This seems like a perfect day to show up a little late, and then avoid crowds, but I was wondering if anyone had info on how the park behaves with rain. Thanks!

Edit: Used the search function and it looks like KD does pretty well in the rain.

RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:I noticed there are a few Days Inn hotels for around $70 a night, any of the ones cheaper seemed risky but if someone has had good experiences with them, let me know!

A few years ago I stayed at a Howard Johnson in Ashland and it was clean, got the job done. It looks like it might have been changed to a Quality Inn now, so it might have been updated. It looks like it was in your price range.
| Lightning Rod | Skyrush | El Toro | Intimidator 305 | Maverick |

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!