Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1875 - What's New at Haunt for 2019?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Did my donkey title just change???
User avatar
 
Posts: 96
Joined: 20 May 2012
Location: Washington DC
Gender: Male

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby dchang11 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:33 pm

jarmor wrote:
thrillseeker4552 wrote:Quick question for anyone familiar with the park.

I'll be heading to the park in early August this year, and I was wondering if one full day (likely a Sunday) with FastLane+ should be plenty to cover everything? We're driving up from Charlotte the day before, and we want to make sure we have two full days for BGW after this park.

Honestly, if you arrive at opening (on a sunday) and hit volcano first you wont even really need the fast lane.


Volcano gets the largest crowds. Knockout that one when the park opens and do a couple of runs on I-305. It's feasible to do all the coasters in one day. Intimidator doesn't get crowded until 11am. You could get six rides in. Volcano isn't my favorite coaster in the park. Gets boring after the launch.

Ride Dominator in the afternoon.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!
User avatar
 
Posts: 218
Joined: 04 Sep 2014
Gender: None specified

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby Keetz » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:48 pm

Chasehat wrote:I may be hitting up KD for the first time ever later this summer. Any tips for the park and where should I sit on I305 for the best first ride?


The line is usually short so it's easy to get multiple rides. I usually do the back car for the first ride, the drop is best there. Then I usually do row 2. Stadium seating means it's kinda like the front but with a much shorter wait.
| Lightning Rod | Skyrush | El Toro | Intimidator 305 | Maverick |

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain
User avatar
 
Posts: 7364
Joined: 10 Feb 2014
Location: Philthadelphia
Gender: None specified

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby boldikus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:55 am

Chasehat wrote:I may be hitting up KD for the first time ever later this summer. Any tips for the park and where should I sit on I305 for the best first ride?


I305 is great anywhere but I think I prefer the back the best. Front is great too. Click the KD/BGW link in my signature for an indepth report about my visit to the park w/ Coasterbill last fall. It's a great park. I'll echo what he said about the back left of Dominator. Holy crap.

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 14508
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: The bar
Gender: Male
Age: 31

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:41 am

thrillseeker4552 wrote:I'll be heading to the park in early August this year, and I was wondering if one full day (likely a Sunday) with FastLane+ should be plenty to cover everything? We're driving up from Charlotte the day before, and we want to make sure we have two full days for BGW after this park.


I'll be honest, I know you're not out here all that often and it's tempting to buy Fastlane but you probably don't need it.

When you get to the park, go straight to Volcano, then hit Flight of Fear, then Backlot and after that lines will be a complete non issue. If you want to mix in one ride on I305 before Backlot or Flight of Fear even though it never has a line but you want to get it out of your system then that's fine too. lol

PS: Ride the Log Flume.

Online
Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz
User avatar
 
Posts: 5575
Joined: 16 Sep 2006
Location: Chicago based
Gender: Male
Age: 28

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby PKI Jizzman » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:12 am

The Geek Mojo wrote:Hurler Timbers?


Hurling Timbers.
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!
 
Posts: 719
Joined: 14 Dec 2010
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Age: 59

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby bill_s » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:18 am

A lot of parks don't require fast pass on a decent day (still varies), especially if you can be there at opening and at close, with taking it easy sometime in the middle. But it all depends on how much you're trying to do, how luxurious a day you want vs. how bad it is, and of course how much money you have (left) vs. what it costs to get there.

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 3357
Joined: 19 Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Gender: Male

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby Superbatboy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:04 am

dchang11 wrote:Volcano isn't my favorite coaster in the park. Gets boring after the launch.

I felt the same way, definitely overrated.
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

Online
Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 3592
Joined: 12 Oct 2012
Location: Utah
Gender: Male
Age: 20

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:54 pm

coasterbill wrote:
thrillseeker4552 wrote:I'll be heading to the park in early August this year, and I was wondering if one full day (likely a Sunday) with FastLane+ should be plenty to cover everything? We're driving up from Charlotte the day before, and we want to make sure we have two full days for BGW after this park.


I'll be honest, I know you're not out here all that often and it's tempting to buy Fastlane but you probably don't need it.

When you get to the park, go straight to Volcano, then hit Flight of Fear, then Backlot and after that lines will be a complete non issue. If you want to mix in one ride on I305 before Backlot or Flight of Fear even though it never has a line but you want to get it out of your system then that's fine too. lol

PS: Ride the Log Flume.


Thanks for the feedback. That's really interesting. We're really just going for I305 (obviously) and wanna make sure we get several rides on it. Volcano and Dominator are bonuses. Maybe that money we save could be used for something else. Will look into it.

Also, Crypt is still open right? I love Top Spins and after Riptide closed at Knott's I've been dying to get on one.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 14508
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: The bar
Gender: Male
Age: 31

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:01 pm

Yup, they still have the Crypt and it's probably my favorite Top Spin.

I305 pretty much never has a line. Getting tons of rides on it won't be a problem. The park has a great coaster lineup beyond I305 though and you should really ride them all, at this point I enjoy every coaster in the park though your mileage may admittedly vary on Anaconda. They also have a superb drop tower, a fun frisbee, solid flyers, the great Top Spin and (as I mentioned) a kick a** flume. I also entirely disagree with some of these contents about Volcano. Volcano is absolutely awesome.

PS: Consult a map to find Grizzly. Without one you'd never know it existed.

Online
Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 3592
Joined: 12 Oct 2012
Location: Utah
Gender: Male
Age: 20

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:48 pm

coasterbill wrote:Yup, they still have the Crypt and it's probably my favorite Top Spin.

I305 pretty much never has a line. Getting tons of rides on it won't be a problem. The park has a great coaster lineup beyond I305 though and you should really ride them all, at this point I enjoy every coaster in the park though your mileage may admittedly vary on Anaconda. They also have a superb drop tower, a fun frisbee, solid flyers, the great Top Spin and (as I mentioned) a kick a** flume. I also entirely disagree with some of these contents about Volcano. Volcano is absolutely awesome.

PS: Consult a map to find Grizzly. Without one you'd never know it existed.


Thanks again for the notes. I will absolutely ride all the coasters, but I look at it like this: if the park didn't have I305, we likely wouldn't be making the trek up there from Charlotte. Also, I loved the Drop Tower at KI, so if it's similar at all, good stuff.

That's so interesting that I305 never has a line... even on weekends? That's crazy, but also good to hear!
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests

These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment,
Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.

All onride photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by a professional ride photographer.
For yours  and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at parks without proper permission.

Disclaimer!  You need a sense of humor to view our site, 
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER!
There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13."
Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.

cron