Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1875 - What's New at Haunt for 2019?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 15 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby MrSum1_55 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:34 pm

Strangely, Dominator is actually my favorite floorless coaster because it has fewer inversions than the rest. While B&M coasters always do have great flow through the inversions, I like how Dominator has elements like the overbanked speed turn, and that low-to the ground turn at the end of the ride. I thought those high-G elements added some good variation to the usual constant inversions I am used to on B&M's.

In terms of constant inversions, you cannot beat Kumba. Kumba has perfect intensity and flow through each element. Afterburn is pretty amazing too, to the point that I would call it the inverted version of Kumba. But other than these, I actually prefer a layout with more variation to the layout as opposed to constant inversions.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:55 am

Discovery Kingdom's Medusa is my favorite floorless. I absolutely love the long straight drop and the rest of the layout has a nice mix of smooth inversions.

Dominator is really fast and forceful, but it's missing my favorite element on a floorless, the zero-G roll.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:40 am

AstrumSpark wrote:Any ideas on the name or theming of the RMC?

Hopefully they won't pull a Six Flags and go back to terribly uninspiring names (Twisted Colossus, really?).

Iron Hurler, Hurler 2, Hurler: The Revenge, Hurler Returns, Iron Wayne.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby pryonisys » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:56 am

Jcoaster wrote:I'll hop on board in saying that Dominator is far and above the rest of the Floorless coasters I have ridden.

I haven't ridden Dominator at Kings Dominion yet, but I'd imagine it is the same as when it was at Geagua Lake. It was a really good coaster there, so I'd imagine it is still good at KD. My favorite B&M floorless is currently Hydra at Dorney, but it is possible I'm not giving Dominator it's fair due as it has been such a long time since I've ridden it.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby JordyC » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:01 am

Jcoaster wrote:
AstrumSpark wrote:Any ideas on the name or theming of the RMC?

Hopefully they won't pull a Six Flags and go back to terribly uninspiring names (Twisted Colossus, really?).

Iron Hurler, Hurler 2, Hurler: The Revenge, Hurler Returns, Iron Wayne.

Some other obvious names; New Hurler, Steel Hurler, Hurler Reborn. :roll:
Quality Over Quantity

1. Hyperion - Energylandia 2. Wildfire - Kolmården 3. Taiga - Linnanmäki 4. Untamed - Walibi Holland 5. Shambhala - PortAventura 6. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park 7. Taron - Phantasialand 8. Helix - Liseberg 9. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 10. Colossos - Heide Park

Coasters: 273 || Parks: 52

Parc Astérix || Slagharen || Plopsa Coevorden || Waarbeek || Liseberg || Kolmården || Gröna Lund || Energylandia || Legendia || Toverland || Alton Towers || South Pier || Blackpool Pleasure Beach

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby JGuy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:15 am

JordyC wrote:
Jcoaster wrote:Iron Hurler, Hurler 2, Hurler: The Revenge, Hurler Returns, Iron Wayne.

Some other obvious names; New Hurler, Steel Hurler, Hurler Reborn. :roll:

Hurler Hawk.

GUACAMOLE IS MY FRIEND

Postby Fooz » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:25 am

I just hope they give that area a facelift to some degree. It's seriously fugly over there.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby The Geek Mojo » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:49 am

Hurler Timbers?

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby AstrumSpark » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:29 am

I'm putting $100 dollars on Vortex.
1.Fury 325 2.Intimidator 305 3.Apollo's Chariot 4.El Toro 5.Millennium Force 6.Diamondback 7.Skyrush 8.Maverick 9.Phantom's Revenge 10.Volcano

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby bill_s » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:52 pm

I think it's more likely to become Intimidator Jr. than Hurler anything. Or something else to do with racing -- that definitely would have fit the original layout.

I don't think they're removing that much of it (yet?), maybe by length yes but not by weight, but they are taking more of it down all the way to the ground (and back) because it hits that threshold that's easier; the layout doesn't offer much for partial cutdown done on most of the others. In return, most of the more different stuff will almost certainly be concentrated there in the bits that really are "from the ground up". How do you really change Hurler's layout much otherwise?

There is a new video by Joe K. that shows it from the other side (hardest to see from Grizzly and Ricochet), I noticed the stretch of removed supports between the end of the first curve and the remaining part of the first hill after is longer than I thought, basically the whole section hidden behind the station, they have a lot there to work with. The other recent pic shows that temporary fencing is up slightly outside where the original first curve fence was. Thing I keep noticing is the backstretch and the missing part between the 2 last curves are extremely close together, but I can't figure out how they could use that to change the layout, maybe they won't but it looks significant.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!