Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1875 - What's New at Haunt for 2019?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Bonafide Donkey Expert

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby Brassinthegrass » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:12 pm

I'm looking at maps and can't seem to fins the singing mushrooms. Can someone tell me where they are?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillrider » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:14 pm

Definitely go hit up volcano first. Dominator is a people eater, and I 305 is not too bad of a wait. Volcanos line seems to crawl and can get long really fast.

And the singing mushrooms are across from the bumper cars.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Coaster Hero » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:22 pm

Just reiterating what people said above me, but definitely go to Volcano first. By the time midday hits, it's too late and the line gets packed. Dominator's line gets shorter throughout the day and has great capacity. I305's line actually goes very quickly. When I went the crew was flying with very quick dispatches. Also the fact that a lot of people are terrified of the ride helps the line usually not exceed 45 minutes or so.
Sometimes when I am at the park I ask myself "Why is Kingda Ka open?"

Seems So Surreal

Postby mike541x » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:02 pm

Brassinthegrass wrote:I'm looking at maps and can't seem to fins the singing mushrooms. Can someone tell me where they are?

Candy Apple Grove, across from the Dodgem bumper cars.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:00 pm

mike541x wrote:
Brassinthegrass wrote:I'm looking at maps and can't seem to fins the singing mushrooms. Can someone tell me where they are?

Candy Apple Grove, across from the Dodgem bumper cars.

yep, just before you get to the Bad Apple:
IMG_1548.JPG
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby Intimidator305 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:39 am

IT'S OFFICIAL - SHOCKWAVE IS HISTORY! Get your last rides in by one month from today, August 9th, and bring on the 2016 attraction!

https://www.facebook.com/kingsdominionva
Screen Shot 2015-07-09 at 9.40.41 AM.png

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Brassinthegrass » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:43 am

Good thing I'm going in two weeks!

I love the comments from the GP as usual:

"First backwards Rebel Yell, now Shockwave? Man, Kings Dominion is slowly dying"

Fast forward 3 months and the same man will be freaking out about whats coming in...
Last edited by Brassinthegrass on Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:46 am.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:45 am

Kings Dominion Bids Farewell to “Shockwave” Rollercoaster
Oldest operating stand-up coaster in the United States will give its last ride on August 9

DOSWELL, Virginia (July 9, 2015) – After 29 years, Kings Dominion will say goodbye to the iconic stand-up rollercoaster, Shockwave. The history making coaster will give its final ride to park guests on Sunday, August 9, 2015. Shockwave is being retired for future growth in the Candy Apple Grove section of Kings Dominion.

Over 22 million riders have stood up to their fears on Shockwave since its installation at Kings Dominion in 1986. Manufactured by TOGO, Shockwave provides a unique experience where guests stand with both feet flat on the floor. The train climbs to a height of 95 feet before leveling out, then descending into a 180-degree loop. The ride lasts two minutes and travels at speeds of 50 miles per hour.

“While it’s bittersweet to say goodbye to one of our older coasters, we’re excited for what the future holds,” says Pat Jones, Vice President and General Manager of Kings Dominion. “The park has evolved so much over the past 40 years and as Kings Dominion continues to grow, we’re committed to enhancing the overall experience for our guests. We’re happy that Shockwave was able to provide close to three decades of memories.”

Guests can take their last stand on Shockwave over the next month before the ride is retired on August 9 at 10 p.m. Special events surrounding the closure of Shockwave will be announced on Kings Dominion’s social media channels. Additional plans for the 2016 season will be announced at a later date.
Shockwave_012.jpg
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:46 am.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:48 am

Well, from some of us, at least. ;)

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby Intimidator305 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:53 am

This announcement has me in tears... of happiness!

Although the ride looked beautiful and was the perfect sized (and colored) centerpiece for Candy Apple Grove, it isn't a good ride compared to everything else in the park (yeah even you Hurler). I get to the park about 8 times a season and ride the ride once a season - if that. I'm excited for what the future holds as the possibilities in that area of the park are endless!

One month from today we will be saying our goodbyes. I plan on riding a few times before then and be there on August 9th to pay my respects to a ride I grew up with, but at the end of the day this is a happy goodbye! Smart move KD and Cedar Fair!

Now all you "Cedar Fair isn't investing into KD" noobs can calm down!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!