Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1870 - Grand Carnivale at Kings Dominion
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
GUACAMOLE IS MY FRIEND

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby Fooz » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:30 pm

It's the transition from the first turn into the first airtime hill. The turn used to stay flat with the ground until it pulled up to the hill. Now, it starts to rise up about halfway through the turn, before it connects with the hill.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Coaster Hero » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:37 pm

^The first turn's radius was increased and the turn now slopes up into the second hill in a sort of weird way. I'll try to find a picture then edit this post

EDIT: I was about to say the same thing as below, it's mostly the second half that got changed. It's hard to find 2 pictures at the same angle that show it well, so I'll use the animation as an example, which is pretty much exactly the same anyway.

Before: Fluid, continuous banking transiton

After: The turn basically goes halfway up where the hill used to go, and it looks really wierd IMO. It's because the g's flatten out at that area so that riders don't black out (even though most people still do) It rides fine however, I just liked the old version better
Last edited by Coaster Hero on Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:20 pm.
Sometimes when I am at the park I ask myself "Why is Kingda Ka open?"

GUACAMOLE IS MY FRIEND

Postby Fooz » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:40 pm

Coaster Hero wrote:^The first turn's radius was increased tremendously and the turn now slopes up into the second hill in a sort of weird way. I'll try to find a picture then edit this post

The radius of the turn was not changed at all.

The modification begins halfway through the turn anyways, a change in the radius would mean that the new track wouldn't line up with the hill it connects to.

Before:

After:
Screen shot 2015-07-07 at 6.46.21 PM.png

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby bill_s » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:38 pm

The radius actually does increase (in the horizontal direction), but only long enough for the track to turn upwards (since turning upwards also generates force). Once the rise takes a constant slope the radius can return to its original. This is visible from the top of the drop. There could still be some tiny changes in radius since the coaster slows down later in the curve, where the turn could get a little tighter, but it's hard to say for sure. Total deviations from the original plan view are only a couple feet at their maximum. The second hill airtime starts just a little later, closer to a sudden drop than a hill with both a rising side and a dropping one. Before, the curve turned into a rise, continuing the g force even longer. Now you're almost already high enough before it really transitions into the hill.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby DILinator » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:29 am

Superbatboy wrote:
DonkeysWaffles wrote:The dueling aspect is possible. It could launch into a section and then loop around and launch beside that into another section. Also Kings Dominion is one of the top 5 most visited seasonal parks (as in Six Flags, Cedar Fair, etc.). There's the attendence for one.

KD gets good attendance but it's not top 5 among seasonal parks. CP, KI, CW, SFMM, SFGradv, BGW, Hershey, and SFGAM all pull in bigger numbers.

I'm not saying whether KD is, or is not likely to get a launched Wing Coaster, but I don't see how park attendance is a factor in whether or not they will. I'm pretty sure Holiday World is not anywhere near the top in terms of attendance, yet they were the first to get one. Yes, I realize they are an independent park, vs. a chain, which has to budget for a ton of parks every year. Still, I don't see this argument being a strong one against the possibility of KD getting a launched Wing Coaster (again, I'm not saying they will, regardless.)

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5.Twisted Timbers 6.The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10.Phantom's Revenge Honorable Mentions: Ravine Flyer II Shivering Timbers, Kraken Mako Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby FSUFanChris » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:23 am

We're heading to the park on Sunday. It'll be my first time. What should we expect for lines? We plan to get there at opening.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby DonkeysWaffles » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:54 am

FSUFanChris wrote:We're heading to the park on Sunday. It'll be my first time. What should we expect for lines? We plan to get there at opening.

At opening, go to Dominator first. That gets crowded later on. Volcano and I305 also have very long lines.
TheAnimatorOfficial
Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens forever!

1. Fury 325
2. Intimidator 305
3. El Toro
4. Apollo's Chariot
5. Skyrush

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:46 am

^I would recommend Volcano first. Dominator's line tends to be longer earlier in the day as it's the first ride everybody sees upon entering the park, but it tends to thin out later. Once Volcano's line becomes slammed, that's it.

Seems So Surreal

Postby mike541x » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:01 am

DonkeysWaffles wrote:
FSUFanChris wrote:We're heading to the park on Sunday. It'll be my first time. What should we expect for lines? We plan to get there at opening.

At opening, go to Dominator first. That gets crowded later on. Volcano and I305 also have very long lines.

You must be going on some crowded days because I305 has some of the shortest lines in then entire park. Even when it does get a line, it goes by quickly.

I agree with Chuck, ride Volcano first thing because the it seems like once it has a line, it never lets up.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby smallpox » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:31 pm

DonkeysWaffles wrote:

gotta disagree. go to Volcano first, it has a very long and slow line that gets longer as the day goes on. i305 is usually a very short line, except on the most crowded days. Dominator has a long line early on because it's right in the front of the park, but it often clears out in the afternoon.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!