Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

P. 1882: The Crypt officially closed
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby TogoFan » Thu May 28, 2015 9:46 pm

I still do not totally understand how Shockwave has a very very long load time EVEN with two trains. You have to wait for a long time on the break run before you go back into the station. I rode it yesterday. I think it would be much faster with a one train operation.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby bill_s » Fri May 29, 2015 4:47 am

^^-- the throughput would be reduced by the actual ride time including the slow lift. Clearly, the second train doesn't double the capacity, like it would on many coasters, as it sits there on the brakes. I have seen, over 5 years ago, them only run one train due to rain. Since the rain also kept crowds away, it was a much better time to reride Shockwave (I suggest 3x).

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri May 29, 2015 4:49 am

TogoFan wrote:I still do not totally understand how Shockwave has a very very long load time EVEN with two trains. You have to wait for a long time on the break run before you go back into the station. I rode it yesterday. I think it would be much faster with a one train operation.

I think it's largely due to the restraint system, which is a pain for many guests and often requires individual adjustments for riders. I've seen the same issues with B&M stand-up coasters, too.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby cwgator » Fri May 29, 2015 8:52 am

certifiedcoastergeek wrote:3. "Carowinds Master Race" mentality :( This is really putting the brakes on any large investments in KD, at least for 10-20 years.

Are we feeling a bit envious? Jaded? No need to feel that way.
Anyway, Carowinds has been in need of more attractions for a long time. It was one of the unloved stepchildren when it was under Paramount (outside of getting Top Gun/Afterburn). I'm sure many at Carowinds felt the same way about KD seeming to get everything back then. Kings Dominion has a nice selection/quantity of coasters. Having them focus more on aesthetics for the time being is of great substance and is needed to keep people coming back. KD will get a new big investment soon, don't worry. They are just trying to get the other under-served markets up to par.
Carowinds is about to go down one coaster(two technically if you count TR as 2 as I do since they are independent of one another). Charlotte has a population growth that will tip 1 million in the next 5-10 years...that's the city..not the Metro area which is way more than that. Carowinds also has the potential to extend their operating season since (besides KBF) it is the furthest south. If Dollywood (in the mountains) can stay open til New Years, then there is really no reason they couldn't do the same at Carowinds. They have to make the park ready/worth it to keep open longer. This at least is one reason I think they are focusing more on this park.
CURRENT COASTER CREDIT COUNT: 80
A little behind...planning to catch-up soon...

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby DonkeysWaffles » Fri May 29, 2015 9:24 am

cwgator wrote:
certifiedcoastergeek wrote:3. "Carowinds Master Race" mentality :( This is really putting the brakes on any large investments in KD, at least for 10-20 years.

Are we feeling a bit envious? Jaded? No need to feel that way.
Anyway, Carowinds has been in need of more attractions for a long time. It was one of the unloved stepchildren when it was under Paramount (outside of getting Top Gun/Afterburn). I'm sure many at Carowinds felt the same way about KD seeming to get everything back then. Kings Dominion has a nice selection/quantity of coasters. Having them focus more on aesthetics for the time being is of great substance and is needed to keep people coming back. KD will get a new big investment soon, don't worry. They are just trying to get the other under-served markets up to par.
Carowinds is about to go down one coaster(two technically if you count TR as 2 as I do since they are independent of one another). Charlotte has a population growth that will tip 1 million in the next 5-10 years...that's the city..not the Metro area which is way more than that. Carowinds also has the potential to extend their operating season since (besides KBF) it is the furthest south. If Dollywood (in the mountains) can stay open til New Years, then there is really no reason they couldn't do the same at Carowinds. They have to make the park ready/worth it to keep open longer. This at least is one reason I think they are focusing more on this park.

I agree. Carowinds badly needs these updates. Kings Dominion is already a well established park. And that giant dueling wing coaster is coming either 2016 or 2017, so we shouldn't expect the park to be abandoned like Six Flags America.
TheAnimatorOfficial
Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens forever!

1. Fury 325
2. Intimidator 305
3. El Toro
4. Apollo's Chariot
5. Skyrush

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby TogoFan » Fri May 29, 2015 10:14 am

Imtimidator305 felt really rough for a steel coaster yesterday when i rode it in the very back. My back now hurts this afternoon. Has anyone else noticed that Imtimidator305 is insanely rough for a steel coaster?

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby DonkeysWaffles » Fri May 29, 2015 10:21 am

TogoFan wrote:Imtimidator305 felt really rough for a steel coaster yesterday when i rode it in the very back. My back now hurts this afternoon. Has anyone else noticed that Imtimidator305 is insanely rough for a steel coaster?

H :devil: ll no! I305 is one of the smoothest coasters out there! The back is rougher on most coasters anyways.
TheAnimatorOfficial
Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens forever!

1. Fury 325
2. Intimidator 305
3. El Toro
4. Apollo's Chariot
5. Skyrush

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri May 29, 2015 10:22 am

I've never found I305 to be "rough"--just "intense."

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby TyRush » Fri May 29, 2015 10:34 am

Could be the end of wheel life. It's always been nearly butter smooth to me, just intense. My legs usually feel wicked heavy after I would depart the train
If Intamin made a donkey, it wouldn't be tame.....well for a year

Visit our Penn State Theme Park Engineering Group page! www.psuthemeparkengineering.com/

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby TB305 » Fri May 29, 2015 11:25 am

I305 is insanely smooth. It has a barely noticeable rattle towards the back but other than that its just incredibly intense.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!