Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

P. 1882: The Crypt officially closed
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I teach at the school of donkey!
User avatar
 
Posts: 319
Joined: 26 May 2015
Location: Manassas, VA
Gender: Male

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby DonkeysWaffles » Wed May 27, 2015 2:40 pm

I can't wait to experience Soak City!
TheAnimatorOfficial
Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens forever!

1. Fury 325
2. Intimidator 305
3. El Toro
4. Apollo's Chariot
5. Skyrush

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 5440
Joined: 23 Dec 2011
Location: Austin, Tx
Gender: Male
Age: 53

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby bert425 » Wed May 27, 2015 4:23 pm

is Friday still considered a "weekday". .or do they get more crowded?
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

I teach at the school of donkey!
User avatar
 
Posts: 319
Joined: 26 May 2015
Location: Manassas, VA
Gender: Male

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby DonkeysWaffles » Wed May 27, 2015 5:50 pm

bert425 wrote:is Friday still considered a "weekday". .or do they get more crowded?


It's sort of a combination of both.
TheAnimatorOfficial
Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens forever!

1. Fury 325
2. Intimidator 305
3. El Toro
4. Apollo's Chariot
5. Skyrush

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"
User avatar
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: 14 Aug 2012
Location: Cininnati
Gender: Male
Age: 33

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby Ape » Thu May 28, 2015 4:28 am

I'll be there on a Sunday for Coasting for Kids.

I teach at the school of donkey!
User avatar
 
Posts: 319
Joined: 26 May 2015
Location: Manassas, VA
Gender: Male

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby DonkeysWaffles » Thu May 28, 2015 5:47 pm

Here's a radical concept: A B&M 4D coaster. Yeah I know, this is many years away, but it would be cool for Kings Dominion to be the first on the east coast to have one.
TheAnimatorOfficial
Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens forever!

1. Fury 325
2. Intimidator 305
3. El Toro
4. Apollo's Chariot
5. Skyrush

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!
User avatar
 
Posts: 607
Joined: 08 May 2015
Gender: Male

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby Coaster Hero » Thu May 28, 2015 7:18 pm

^I would be happy with just a wingrider on the east coast, the midwest seems to be hogging all of them! :)
Sometimes when I am at the park I ask myself "Why is Kingda Ka open?"

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.
User avatar
 
Posts: 285
Joined: 16 Apr 2015
Location: The Center of the Universe
Gender: Male

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby certifiedcoastergeek » Thu May 28, 2015 7:21 pm

DonkeysWaffles wrote:Here's a radical concept: A B&M 4D coaster. Yeah I know, this is many years away, but it would be cool for Kings Dominion to be the first on the east coast to have one.

Here's a not-so-radical concept, Omar: It won't happen. Hear me out: Kings Dominion is my home park, and I've been visiting since the post-Volcano Paramount years. I would love nothing more than another world-class B&M or Intamin coaster to complement Volcano and Intimidator 305. I agree that Cedar Fair is completely dissing KD by postponing the park's next large coaster. Since 2013-2014, Kings Dominion has arguably been due for a new, large coaster (and I ain't talkin' Triotechs here). Unfortunately, there's enough evidence at this point that we can with near-absolute certainty rule out a large roller coaster for Kings Dominion in 2016. My guess is that Cedar Point gets the largest coaster in 2016, with Worlds of Fun or Valleyfair getting a smaller B&M. In 2017, however, I could see a pair of identical medium-large B&Ms implemented at Canada's Wonderland and at Kings Dominion. As for 2016, expect a thrilling flat ride or a Triotech and the removal of Shockwave (or even just minor improvements) in preparation for 2017 at Kings Dominion. The only reason why CF might hesitate on a Triotech in the next few years is that they already have a 3D shooting dark ride in Boo Blasters. It's not fantastic, but it's still fun albeit tacky. But coming back to the topic of a B&M 4D coaster:
1. Space - For the first time ever, KD is all but out of space for attractions, meaning something's gotta go to make way for the new, and those 4D coasters are frickin' HUGE.
2. Cost - I doubt that Cedar Fair will drop $40M plus on KD in one year, especially with the v
3. "Carowinds Master Race" mentality :( This is really putting the brakes on any large investments in KD, at least for 10-20 years.
Image
Credit Counter: 75 (72 Operating, 3 Defunct)
1. Intimidator 305 2. Millennium Force 3. Top Thrill Dragster 4. Volcano, the Blast Coaster 5. Maverick
6. Xcelerator 7. Steel Force 8. Griffon 9. Phantom's Revenge 9. Intimidator 10. Fury 325

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.
User avatar
 
Posts: 935
Joined: 25 Dec 2009
Location: On a beach somewhere...
Gender: Male
Age: 29

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby KDcoasterMAN » Thu May 28, 2015 7:48 pm

certifiedcoastergeek wrote:1. Space - For the first time ever, KD is all but out of space for attractions, meaning something's gotta go to make way for the new, and those 4D coasters are frickin' HUGE.


If you worked at the park or had any idea how much land Kings Dominion owns you would retract this statement immediately... The land parcel the park sits on is a little over double the size of the current park. In fact, I heard when Cedar Fair purchase the Paramount parks they felt that KI, Canada's Wonderland and KD had the most potential due to extra land available for development. Remember, the Lion Country Safari lands have been relatively undeveloped since it closed (other than the Intimidator site) Their is ample land behind Hurler, the south end of the Soak City and Behind Intimidator. By no means do I suggest that this land is going to be developed in the immediate future but I would say that Kings Dominion is in way better shape with extra land than Kennywood or Gronaland.

ALSO, something to keep in mind, i305 has cost Cedar Fair close to 32 million... (25 million for its design, assembly and site construction, 1 million for a new lift motor in 2011, and 9 million for the replaced first turn in the 2010-11 offseason). Carowind's Intimidator and Fury cost a total of 53 million (not including the new park entrance) Maybe soon KD will make up that 19 million difference...

I hope that Cedar Fair chooses to build a new coaster with the next few years that is worth it.

I teach at the school of donkey!
User avatar
 
Posts: 319
Joined: 26 May 2015
Location: Manassas, VA
Gender: Male

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby DonkeysWaffles » Thu May 28, 2015 8:03 pm

certifiedcoastergeek wrote:
DonkeysWaffles wrote:Here's a radical concept: A B&M 4D coaster. Yeah I know, this is many years away, but it would be cool for Kings Dominion to be the first on the east coast to have one.

Here's a not-so-radical concept, Omar: It won't happen. Hear me out: Kings Dominion is my home park, and I've been visiting since the post-Volcano Paramount years. I would love nothing more than another world-class B&M or Intamin coaster to complement Volcano and Intimidator 305. I agree that Cedar Fair is completely dissing KD by postponing the park's next large coaster. Since 2013-2014, Kings Dominion has arguably been due for a new, large coaster (and I ain't talkin' Triotechs here). Unfortunately, there's enough evidence at this point that we can with near-absolute certainty rule out a large roller coaster for Kings Dominion in 2016. My guess is that Cedar Point gets the largest coaster in 2016, with Worlds of Fun or Valleyfair getting a smaller B&M. In 2017, however, I could see a pair of identical medium-large B&Ms implemented at Canada's Wonderland and at Kings Dominion. As for 2016, expect a thrilling flat ride or a Triotech and the removal of Shockwave (or even just minor improvements) in preparation for 2017 at Kings Dominion. The only reason why CF might hesitate on a Triotech in the next few years is that they already have a 3D shooting dark ride in Boo Blasters. It's not fantastic, but it's still fun albeit tacky. But coming back to the topic of a B&M 4D coaster:
1. Space - For the first time ever, KD is all but out of space for attractions, meaning something's gotta go to make way for the new, and those 4D coasters are frickin' HUGE.
2. Cost - I doubt that Cedar Fair will drop $40M plus on KD in one year, especially with the v
3. "Carowinds Master Race" mentality :( This is really putting the brakes on any large investments in KD, at least for 10-20 years.


That's why I said "concept" and not "possibility". :lmao:
TheAnimatorOfficial
Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens forever!

1. Fury 325
2. Intimidator 305
3. El Toro
4. Apollo's Chariot
5. Skyrush

I teach at the school of donkey!
User avatar
 
Posts: 319
Joined: 26 May 2015
Location: Manassas, VA
Gender: Male

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby DonkeysWaffles » Thu May 28, 2015 8:06 pm

certifiedcoastergeek wrote:
DonkeysWaffles wrote:Here's a radical concept: A B&M 4D coaster. Yeah I know, this is many years away, but it would be cool for Kings Dominion to be the first on the east coast to have one.

Here's a not-so-radical concept, Omar: It won't happen. Hear me out: Kings Dominion is my home park, and I've been visiting since the post-Volcano Paramount years. I would love nothing more than another world-class B&M or Intamin coaster to complement Volcano and Intimidator 305. I agree that Cedar Fair is completely dissing KD by postponing the park's next large coaster. Since 2013-2014, Kings Dominion has arguably been due for a new, large coaster (and I ain't talkin' Triotechs here). Unfortunately, there's enough evidence at this point that we can with near-absolute certainty rule out a large roller coaster for Kings Dominion in 2016. My guess is that Cedar Point gets the largest coaster in 2016, with Worlds of Fun or Valleyfair getting a smaller B&M. In 2017, however, I could see a pair of identical medium-large B&Ms implemented at Canada's Wonderland and at Kings Dominion. As for 2016, expect a thrilling flat ride or a Triotech and the removal of Shockwave (or even just minor improvements) in preparation for 2017 at Kings Dominion. The only reason why CF might hesitate on a Triotech in the next few years is that they already have a 3D shooting dark ride in Boo Blasters. It's not fantastic, but it's still fun albeit tacky. But coming back to the topic of a B&M 4D coaster:
1. Space - For the first time ever, KD is all but out of space for attractions, meaning something's gotta go to make way for the new, and those 4D coasters are frickin' HUGE.
2. Cost - I doubt that Cedar Fair will drop $40M plus on KD in one year, especially with the v
3. "Carowinds Master Race" mentality :( This is really putting the brakes on any large investments in KD, at least for 10-20 years.


Also, Carowinds is not going to affect Kings Dominion, just like Cedar Point doesn't affect Kings Island. We are still the 4th, sometimes 3rd most visited park in the chain, meaning we are still going to get new attractions throughout the years.
TheAnimatorOfficial
Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens forever!

1. Fury 325
2. Intimidator 305
3. El Toro
4. Apollo's Chariot
5. Skyrush

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests

These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment,
Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.

All onride photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by a professional ride photographer.
For yours  and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at parks without proper permission.

Disclaimer!  You need a sense of humor to view our site, 
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER!
There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13."
Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.

cron