Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1875 - What's New at Haunt for 2019?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 15 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby VF15 » Sat May 23, 2015 11:38 am

Password121 wrote:The main issue I have with this is Cedar Fair has invested in one major B&M each of the last four years, and only five new coasters since 2011 (the last being Gold Striker). I don't see the them suddenly jumping from one coaster a year to three, two times in a row. In my mind...
2016: Cedar Point B&M coaster, other additional coaster (Canada's Wonderland/Mich. Adv. more likely, or VF/KD, less likely)
2017: Canada's Wonderland coaster (if not in 2016), other additional coaster (Kings Dominion/Valleyfair).

That is also my concern since many people seem to want their home Cedar Fair park to get a B&M in 2016. If the trend of one B&M per year continues, next year's coaster is most likely going to Cedar Point. It would be nice if they could get two B&Ms per year, but those coasters can be quite expensive even if it is a smaller model.

I personally think Kings Dominion could use a GCI/RMC wooden coaster because KD has several wooden coasters, but none of them look like real standouts.
2016 Valleyfair Ride Operator - Wild Thing
2017 Valleyfair Ride Operator - Wild Thing/Xtreme Swing
2018 Valleyfair Ride Operator - Steel Venom/Scrambler
2019 Cedar Point Ride Operator - Cedar Creek Mine Ride
2019 Carowinds Ride Operator (Winterfest) - Flying Cobras/Zephyr/Do-Si-Do

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby MIAfan88 » Sat May 23, 2015 12:52 pm

I have a feeling these slide complexes will appear at more parks. They contain something for everyone.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat May 23, 2015 1:48 pm

^I agree--they offer a good combination of slides for different age groups.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby BeansproutMidget » Sat May 23, 2015 4:31 pm

I'm going tomorrow for a bit actually. I'm definately checking this place out tomorrow!
1. Maverick
What a wonderful day to go ride a giga...
Kings Dominion Ride Attendant(2018) - Intimidator 305

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Soak City Trip Report: Two Hours of Plunging into Paradise

Postby certifiedcoastergeek » Sun May 24, 2015 12:02 pm

I just got home from Kings Dominion's new Soak City. Although I knew that the lines would be insane due to the holiday weekend, my Platinum Pass grants me the ability to get a fifteen-minute head start over the day ticket scrubs, and I couldn't wait to ride the Hurricane Heights complex slides after reading cfc's awesome Passholder Preview Day TR. Since I arrived at around 11:35, I strolled through the security gate and right up to the Hurricane Heights complex to wait for the 11:45 passholder opening. The waterpark looks FANTASTIC for 2015. I'll run through the pros and cons of the waterpark renovations quickly before talking about the new slides:
+HURRICANE HEIGHTS SLIDE COMPLEX. This brings Soak City one huge step closer to Water Country USA.
+Fresh coat of paint for almost everything; Soak City looks brand new
+New kiddie complexes
+New food and souvenir locations, such as a second full-service Rita's, a third Coca-Cola Marketplace, a Kona Ice, a Boardwalk Fries, and some park restaurants with Meal Deals available
+New cabanas available in Tidal Wave Bay wave pool for rent
+New inner tubes for every ride
+More restrooms
+Another First Aid location
+10% Passholder discount now available at every food location, even franchises like Rita's (stands, trailers, and trucks excluded)
+Waterpark still included with admission (here's looking at you, BGW and WCUSA)
-Waterpark Chick-fil-A removed
-Shoot the Curl slide complex removed
-Lockerz cost more than in previous years
-Lazy River now has two exits, and you must exit on the side that doesn't say "Exit". What?!?

Now that the pros and cons are covered, I can get on to the big attraction, Hurricane Heights. This insane complex consists of six unique slides over two platforms. On the taller platform, there are three trapdoor-style body slides (Paradise Plunge), which are red, orange, and yellow. When you enter, you are instructed to put your head back and to cross your ankles and arms. Once the glass door closes, a soft female voice delivers a menacing countdown: 3, 2, 1, goodbye (No Drop Tower: Scream Zone operator tricks here, folks). The initial short drop on Paradise Plunge induces more adrenaline than anything else at KD. If you chose the orange or yellow slides, you then make a sharp turn left and twist through multiple helices, splashing down with blistering speed to finish the ride. If you chose the red slide, you make a sharp turn right, then left, then one helix, which is followed by a slow descent into the splashdown, definitely reducing the intensity of the ride. If you're new to trapdoor slides, I'd recommend the red slide, since it's a little slower. The body slides were fast and smooth; my only concern was that the yellow slide broke down after about ten minutes of operation (yikes, Windseeker deja vu?), although it was up and running again in about thirty minutes. Now, on to the lower platform: Thunder Falls and Aqua Blast, three very different tube slides. Strangely, these slides were originally planned to feature double tubes as well, as it's still listed as so on the KD website, but this was scrapped and only standard inner tubes are available. The light blue body slide, on the far left of the platform, is one half of Thunder Falls. This slide consists of a three-quarters helix, featuring a neon-lit portion, followed by the most insane drop that I've ever experienced on a tube slide, into a pool. As a matter of fact, you will often flip head over heels due to your momentum from the drop into the shallow pool, so heed my advice and brace yourself. The darker blue slide, which neighbors the light blue slide on the platform, is the other half of Thunder Falls. This slide starts out with the same three-quarters helix and with the neon lights like its brother, but is unique in that it features a double drop. It's not as intense as the lighter blue side, but it's still freakin' crazy. The third slide, which is purple on the platform but switches between purple and orange during the ride, is located on the far right of the platform and is known as Aqua Blast. Unlike Thunder Falls, Aqua Blast is pitch-black for most of the ride, with fast turns that will leave you breathless. However, if it doesn't have a drop, what's its gimmick? The 360-degree quick turnarounds. This slide features not one, not two, not three, but FOUR turnaround enclosed "bowl" elements, during which your tube will seemingly defy gravity and wall ride, creating an insane experience that rivals any waterslide. All in all, these slides are unique, fun, intense, smooth, and probably worth Cedar Fair's multi-million dollar investment in them, although time will tell if these slides will prove reliable or not.
My rating: If you're visiting Kings Dominion in 2015, make sure to pack a swimsuit so that you can plunge into paradise.
Credit Counter: 75 (72 Operating, 3 Defunct)
1. Intimidator 305 2. Millennium Force 3. Top Thrill Dragster 4. Volcano, the Blast Coaster 5. Maverick
6. Xcelerator 7. Steel Force 8. Griffon 9. Phantom's Revenge 9. Intimidator 10. Fury 325

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Soak City Trip Report: Two Hours of Plunging into Paradi

Postby DCSportsAndCoasters » Sun May 24, 2015 12:20 pm

certifiedcoastergeek wrote:I just got home from Kings Dominion's new Soak City. Although I knew that the lines would be insane due to the holiday weekend, my Platinum Pass grants me the ability to get a fifteen-minute head start over the day ticket scrubs, and I couldn't wait to ride the Hurricane Heights complex slides after reading cfc's awesome Passholder Preview Day TR. Since I arrived at around 11:35, I strolled through the security gate and right up to the Hurricane Heights complex to wait for the 11:45 passholder opening. The waterpark looks FANTASTIC for 2015. I'll run through the pros and cons of the waterpark renovations quickly before talking about the new slides:
+HURRICANE HEIGHTS SLIDE COMPLEX. This brings Soak City one huge step closer to Water Country USA.
+Fresh coat of paint for almost everything; Soak City looks brand new
+New kiddie complexes
+New food and souvenir locations, such as a second full-service Rita's, a third Coca-Cola Marketplace, a Kona Ice, a Boardwalk Fries, and some park restaurants with Meal Deals available
+New cabanas available in Tidal Wave Bay wave pool for rent
+New inner tubes for every ride
+More restrooms
+Another First Aid location
+10% Passholder discount now available at every food location, even franchises like Rita's (stands, trailers, and trucks excluded)
+Waterpark still included with admission (here's looking at you, BGW and WCUSA)
-Waterpark Chick-fil-A removed
-Shoot the Curl slide complex removed
-Lockerz cost more than in previous years
-Lazy River now has two exits, and you must exit on the side that doesn't say "Exit". What?!?

Now that the pros and cons are covered, I can get on to the big attraction, Hurricane Heights. This insane complex consists of six unique slides over two platforms. On the taller platform, there are three trapdoor-style body slides (Paradise Plunge), which are red, orange, and yellow. When you enter, you are instructed to put your head back and to cross your ankles and arms. Once the glass door closes, a soft female voice delivers a menacing countdown: 3, 2, 1, goodbye (No Drop Tower: Scream Zone operator tricks here, folks). The initial short drop on Paradise Plunge induces more adrenaline than anything else at KD. If you chose the orange or yellow slides, you then make a sharp turn left and twist through multiple helices, splashing down with blistering speed to finish the ride. If you chose the red slide, you make a sharp turn right, then left, then one helix, which is followed by a slow descent into the splashdown, definitely reducing the intensity of the ride. If you're new to trapdoor slides, I'd recommend the red slide, since it's a little slower. The body slides were fast and smooth; my only concern was that the yellow slide broke down after about ten minutes of operation (yikes, Windseeker deja vu?), although it was up and running again in about thirty minutes. Now, on to the lower platform: Thunder Falls and Aqua Blast, three very different tube slides. Strangely, these slides were originally planned to feature double tubes as well, as it's still listed as so on the KD website, but this was scrapped and only standard inner tubes are available. The light blue body slide, on the far left of the platform, is one half of Thunder Falls. This slide consists of a three-quarters helix, featuring a neon-lit portion, followed by the most insane drop that I've ever experienced on a tube slide, into a pool. As a matter of fact, you will often flip head over heels due to your momentum from the drop into the shallow pool, so heed my advice and brace yourself. The darker blue slide, which neighbors the light blue slide on the platform, is the other half of Thunder Falls. This slide starts out with the same three-quarters helix and with the neon lights like its brother, but is unique in that it features a double drop. It's not as intense as the lighter blue side, but it's still freakin' crazy. The third slide, which is purple on the platform but switches between purple and orange during the ride, is located on the far right of the platform and is known as Aqua Blast. Unlike Thunder Falls, Aqua Blast is pitch-black for most of the ride, with fast turns that will leave you breathless. However, if it doesn't have a drop, what's its gimmick? The 360-degree quick turnarounds. This slide features not one, not two, not three, but FOUR turnaround enclosed "bowl" elements, during which your tube will seemingly defy gravity and wall ride, creating an insane experience that rivals any waterslide. All in all, these slides are unique, fun, intense, smooth, and probably worth Cedar Fair's multi-million dollar investment in them, although time will tell if these slides will prove reliable or not.
My rating: If you're visiting Kings Dominion in 2015, make sure to pack a swimsuit so that you can plunge into paradise.

And the great thing is that they didn't have to remove an iconic roller coaster to do all this. I wonder if that park down south is listening.
Omar Shinaishin
I like D.C. sports teams
Kings Dominion, Busch Gardens, Six Flags America are my home parks
Favorite coasters are: Griffon, I305, Dominator, Volcano, Apollo's Chariot, S:ROS, Fury 325, Skyrush, and so much more.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow me on Instagram @shinaishin_nation/Google+ +TheAnimatorOfficial/Twitter @TheAniOfficial, subscribe to me on Youtube (TheAnimatorOfficial).

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Password121 » Sun May 24, 2015 12:26 pm

I think you should wait until an announcement is made to criticize harshly. Remember the outcry when Colossus' closure was announced before the RMC makeover was confirmed? Something good will come out of it--I have faith in Cedar Fair to do good things in that growing park down south.
2017 Millennium Force Ride Host
2018 Millennium Force Team Leader

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby DCSportsAndCoasters » Sun May 24, 2015 1:01 pm

Password121 wrote:I think you should wait until an announcement is made to criticize harshly. Remember the outcry when Colossus' closure was announced before the RMC makeover was confirmed? Something good will come out of it--I have faith in Cedar Fair to do good things in that growing park down south.

Carowinds already confirmed that it will be closed down for "family friendly attractions". So right away an RMC makeover is right out the window.

Also, Cedar Fair does not work with RMC. Yet.
Omar Shinaishin
I like D.C. sports teams
Favorite coasters are: Griffon, I305, Dominator, Volcano, Apollo's Chariot, S:ROS, Fury 325, Skyrush, and so much more.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow me on Instagram @shinaishin_nation/Google+ +TheAnimatorOfficial/Twitter @TheAniOfficial, subscribe to me on Youtube (TheAnimatorOfficial).

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby certifiedcoastergeek » Sun May 24, 2015 1:35 pm

DCSportsAndCoasters wrote:
Password121 wrote:I think you should wait until an announcement is made to criticize harshly. Remember the outcry when Colossus' closure was announced before the RMC makeover was confirmed? Something good will come out of it--I have faith in Cedar Fair to do good things in that growing park down south.

Carowinds already confirmed that it will be closed down for "family friendly attractions". So right away an RMC makeover is right out the window.

Yet is the key word. Can you say "New Texas Hurler"? :airtimer:
Credit Counter: 75 (72 Operating, 3 Defunct)
1. Intimidator 305 2. Millennium Force 3. Top Thrill Dragster 4. Volcano, the Blast Coaster 5. Maverick
6. Xcelerator 7. Steel Force 8. Griffon 9. Phantom's Revenge 9. Intimidator 10. Fury 325

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby DCSportsAndCoasters » Sun May 24, 2015 2:11 pm

certifiedcoastergeek wrote:
DCSportsAndCoasters wrote:

Yet is the key word. Can you say "New Texas Hurler"? :airtimer:

That would be great! I think that Grizzly and Rebel Yell are too iconic for an RMC treatment, but the generic, painful Hurler would be perfect!
Omar Shinaishin
I like D.C. sports teams

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!