Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1875 - What's New at Haunt for 2019?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 16 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby Superbatboy » Wed May 20, 2015 9:40 pm

If Cedar Fair installs a hyper or an invert at KD :|
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby whatabeast » Thu May 21, 2015 3:49 am

Michigan's Adventure is actually a top contender for a 2016 coaster, as far as Cedar Fair goes. They've already announced there will be a large capital investment made there, and rumors have been flying around that it's gonna be a hyper GTX. It's also their 60th anniversary next year, and MIA has a history of adding major new rides on anniversary years.

As for a third one, I'd put my money on ValleyFair over Kings Dominion, given the statements Cedar Fair made about focusing on that park.

That's not to say there won't be a fourth one, But I'm predicting 2017 is gonna be KD's year.
Living in Michigan is awkward, because we passionately hate Ohio, but we always have to follow that statement up with "But Cedar Point is pretty cool. And Kings Island." 75 coasters and counting...

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby certifiedcoastergeek » Thu May 21, 2015 3:42 pm

whatabeast wrote:Michigan's Adventure is actually a top contender for a 2016 coaster, as far as Cedar Fair goes. They've already announced there will be a large capital investment made there, and rumors have been flying around that it's gonna be a hyper GTX. It's also their 60th anniversary next year, and MIA has a history of adding major new rides on anniversary years.

As for a third one, I'd put my money on ValleyFair over Kings Dominion, given the statements Cedar Fair made about focusing on that park.

That's not to say there won't be a fourth one, But I'm predicting 2017 is gonna be KD's year.

A hyper GT-X isn't a very large investment - it's around the same price tag as a Windseeker ($6-8M range), so that would be the third coaster.
For a second coaster, I'd still put money on Kings Dominion over Valleyfair, with 2017 being VF's year.
2016: Cedar Point (Dive Coaster), Kings Dominion (unidentified mid-sized B&M), Michigan's Adventure (Hyper GT-X)
2017: Canada's Wonderland (unidentified mid-sized B&M), Valleyfair (unidentified large B&M), Worlds of Fun (unidentified mid-sized B&M)
Credit Counter: 75 (72 Operating, 3 Defunct)
1. Intimidator 305 2. Millennium Force 3. Top Thrill Dragster 4. Volcano, the Blast Coaster 5. Maverick
6. Xcelerator 7. Steel Force 8. Griffon 9. Phantom's Revenge 9. Intimidator 10. Fury 325

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Password121 » Thu May 21, 2015 4:06 pm

The main issue I have with this is Cedar Fair has invested in one major B&M each of the last four years, and only five new coasters since 2011 (the last being Gold Striker). I don't see the them suddenly jumping from one coaster a year to three, two times in a row. In my mind...
2016: Cedar Point B&M coaster, other additional coaster (Canada's Wonderland/Mich. Adv. more likely, or VF/KD, less likely)
2017: Canada's Wonderland coaster (if not in 2016), other additional coaster (Kings Dominion/Valleyfair).

Obviously this is still well into the future and we'll know so much more closer to announcement time, but honestly nothing at this point in time screams to me that Kings Dominion is getting a new coaster in 2016. Yeah, it's been a little while (other parks have it far worse), but we've had no real info to base it off, like the "amazing" secret CO has held for their new coaster.

Edit: okay definitely Canada's Wonderland for 2016. I just checked up on that thread... it's really not very discrete.
2017 Millennium Force Ride Host
2018 Millennium Force Team Leader

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby certifiedcoastergeek » Thu May 21, 2015 6:54 pm

Password121 wrote: Edit: okay definitely Canada's Wonderland for 2016. I just checked up on that thread... it's really not very discrete.

In that case, I have one message for Cedar Fair, on behalf of all Kings Dominion faithful and tourists alike...

P.S. I wonder how KD will try to convince people that its minor improvements and/or small flat rides are some large investment, like they have for the PAST FIVE YEARS!
2011. Minor improvements
2012. Flat rides
2013. Flat rides
2014. Minor improvements
2015. Water rides
2016. Minor improvements
Credit Counter: 75 (72 Operating, 3 Defunct)
1. Intimidator 305 2. Millennium Force 3. Top Thrill Dragster 4. Volcano, the Blast Coaster 5. Maverick
6. Xcelerator 7. Steel Force 8. Griffon 9. Phantom's Revenge 9. Intimidator 10. Fury 325

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Coaster Hero » Thu May 21, 2015 7:49 pm

^Not to mention perhaps the best coaster on the planet. I get it, even that experience you can get used to, but I have a feeling I305 was meant to satisfy us for a while before a new attraction. Be patient. Something is coming within the next 2-3 years, I just don't think this is the year anymore; no confirmed markers or surveying. If that is spotted, then I will change my opinion. If they do get a coaster, I must say that KD needs another B&M in my opinion. If not, at least something comfortable and smooth

By the way (I haven't been following this) what makes everyone so certain that CP is getting a coaster this year?
Sometimes when I am at the park I ask myself "Why is Kingda Ka open?"

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Password121 » Thu May 21, 2015 7:54 pm

^Just look at one of the webcams on Cedar Point's website. They removed one of their Antique cars and relocated some family rides, not to mentioned demolishing a major theater. They left the area fenced in (almost 10 acres) and g's a dirt field at the moment. I'd expect footers in the next month or so.
2017 Millennium Force Ride Host
2018 Millennium Force Team Leader

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby whatabeast » Thu May 21, 2015 8:59 pm

^All that, a trademark has been filed, and the plans for the coaster allegedly leaked to the press.

Even if a B&M at KD in the next couple of years is the best guess, given the CF trend of late, I actually kind of hope the park gets something a little bit more unique. Give CGA the hyper, it needs it more.
Living in Michigan is awkward, because we passionately hate Ohio, but we always have to follow that statement up with "But Cedar Point is pretty cool. And Kings Island." 75 coasters and counting...

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby Intimidator305 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:41 pm

I know the last coaster installation was in 2010 (the best coaster in the world, in my opinion), however KD received 3 coasters in FIVE years prior to that. 2006: Backlot Stunt Coaster 2008: Dominator 2010: Intimidator 305 - which means they've received three coasters in the past decade, one of those being a GIGA. Any amusement park in the world would LOVE to have that.

Yes, Backlot Stunt Coaster was under Paramount ownership, Dominator was relocated, but Intimidator 305 cost 25 million (which cost more than Behemoth, Diamondback, and Intimidator Carowinds). However, as I mentioned a few pages back, Kings Dominion has been receiving more slightly more money for these off years than other parks AND has tremendously improved the park's atmosphere and aesthetic appeal compared to what it was prior to 2010.

Finally, remember Kings Dominion hasn't even opened their 2015 attractions yet, that happens this weekend. They have been rapidly trying to finish a complete revamp and overhaul the entire water park while putting the finishing touches on two new attractions - 2016/2017 doesn't need to start for quite a while. Intimidator 305 (obviously the park's biggest coaster and one of Intamin's biggest tests (with the new lift structure)) didn't even touch a blade of grass until Monday June 1, 2009... so KD's next coaster could likely not start construction until late July/August given the size it'll probably be. Remember, GateKeeper didn't start construction until late summer in northern Ohio. KD is in Virginia, not Ohio or Canada so the winters are much milder for construction and concrete curing.

Do I think KD will get a coaster in 2016? I'm not holding my breath as I heard they were denied one for the 40th Celebration, but that means they are on the list for 2016 or 2017. If 2016 isn't a coaster, expect a package to be rolling out to parks like the Windseekers did, I could see KI and KD getting the same thing next season if a coaster isn't coming KD's way.

In the meantime, calm down, enjoy how nice of a place the park is now, take a ride on one of the world's best roller coasters, and take a ride on Shockwave just in case it does get removed.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Superbatboy » Thu May 21, 2015 10:21 pm

Ugh if only Cedar Fair would venture away from B&M more often, they'd be able to spread more love across more of their parks in the same season. You could almost install THREE RMC rides for the price of one ride like Gatekeeper, Banshee, Leviathan, or Fury.
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!